Problems opening/deleting .MOV files in Windows 8.1

Anonymous
2014-11-16T17:25:53+00:00

When I attempt to open some .MOV files instead of starting up Apple QuickTime Player (which is set as default program for this file type) 10 to 15 seconds Windows closes the folder containing the .MOV file without any explanation. Further attempts result in the same outcome. If I right-click and Delete the .MOV file quickly within a few seconds of opening the folder, Windows does remove it to the Recycle Bin. However, when I then try to Empty the Recycle Bin, Windows suddenly closes it without any explanation. Re-opening the Recycle Bin shows that the .MOV file is still listed. Attempting to Delete it has the same outcome.

This only occurs with some of my  .MOV files; others work as expected. I haven't been able to distinguish any key differences between those that work and those that manifest this problem.

I am running a fully updated version on my Dell Inspiron 660S desktop PC and have the latest version of Norton Internet Security installed.

I have run a full system scan with Norton and no issues have been detected other than a small number of Tracking Cookies which Norton has removed.

Does any one have any thoughts on what may be the cause?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-12-16T15:11:13+00:00

    Hello Katep,

    Thank you for posting with the issue description.

    I would like to know the following information:

    1. How are you trying to open those .mov files, which app are you using to open those .mov files?
    2. Do you have the latest quick time player installed on the computer?
    3. Where are the .mov files located on the computer or is it located on external drive? 

    Please reply with the required information, which will help us to understand this issue better and help you further.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-12-16T16:10:31+00:00

    Thanks for your interest - in reply. 

    1.  I am not able to get as far as opening .mov files!  (this is a far distant aspiration that I dare not dream) - As soon as I look in any subdirectory that contains .mov files with the file explorer tool - the file explorer tool is closed down.   I have been successful in converting them to mp4 using handbrake - but if I take too long selecting the file - this crashes also.   So does serif movie plus if I try importing them into that.
    2.  I am running the latest copy of quicktime - I never use it - preferring (until now) - to use movie player.  However, if I try to open a .mov file with it it tells me that it has stopped working and then this box too disappears.  
    3.  the .mov files are in various (now useless) - subdirectories on the C: drive on my computer (internal). 

    FYI - I have now spent many pounds (engineers, new cameras, old cameras, card readers, cables etc)  trying to sort this problem out as my business depends on my ability to create video files.    So if you can get this sorted asap I would be most grateful, because at present, I am at a standstill and having to use the equipment I was using 6 years ago in order to get anything published. 

    :)

    I eagerly await a patch.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-12-16T16:28:08+00:00

    Oh and a bit more information....

    when I tried to render the movie that contained the .mov files converted to mp4 to a wmv format - the render took over 20 hours for a 15 minute film. And the finished .wmv file did not contain all of the soundtrack (this stopped about two thirds of the way through). 

    When I rendered this same move to mp4 it took 20 minutes. 

    So not only can windows not handle apple .mov files, when these files are converted to a standard mp4 format - windows cannot write them to a windows format without a terrific struggle.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-12-16T16:49:40+00:00

    Hello again.

    Thanks Katep for confirming I'm not the only one experiencing this problem.

    I am also running the latest version of QuickTime and use it mainly to view the short videos that my son takes of my 18-month old grandson on his i-Phone and sends to me as e-mail attachments.

    This problem did not exist before the 15 Windows updates I received and installed on 12 November.

    The reference numbers of the updates involved are:

    KB2976536

    KB2978126

    KB2992611

    KB2993958

    KB3002885

    KB3003057

    KB3003667

    KB3003743

    KB3004150

    KB3005607

    KB3006178

    KB3006226

    KB3008188

    KB3008627

    KB3010788

    Hope Microsoft can sort out a fix soon.

    Tony

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-12-20T16:35:47+00:00

    Hi Tony,

    Thank you for the update.

    Since the issue did not occur before the Windows updates, I would recommend you to perform System restore to an earlier point in time and check if it helps.

    1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search.

    (If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, and then click Search.) 2. Enter Control Panel in the search box, and tap or click Control Panel. 3. Enter Recovery in the Control Panel search box, and then tap or click Recovery. 4. Tap or click Open System Restore, and then follow the instructions.

    Please revert if you face any issues.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments