Problems opening/deleting .MOV files in Windows 8.1

Anonymous
2014-11-16T17:25:53+00:00

When I attempt to open some .MOV files instead of starting up Apple QuickTime Player (which is set as default program for this file type) 10 to 15 seconds Windows closes the folder containing the .MOV file without any explanation. Further attempts result in the same outcome. If I right-click and Delete the .MOV file quickly within a few seconds of opening the folder, Windows does remove it to the Recycle Bin. However, when I then try to Empty the Recycle Bin, Windows suddenly closes it without any explanation. Re-opening the Recycle Bin shows that the .MOV file is still listed. Attempting to Delete it has the same outcome.

This only occurs with some of my  .MOV files; others work as expected. I haven't been able to distinguish any key differences between those that work and those that manifest this problem.

I am running a fully updated version on my Dell Inspiron 660S desktop PC and have the latest version of Norton Internet Security installed.

I have run a full system scan with Norton and no issues have been detected other than a small number of Tracking Cookies which Norton has removed.

Does any one have any thoughts on what may be the cause?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-04-13T20:08:45+00:00

    Yup.  Buy an Apple Mac.   Or. Revert to windows 7. 

    You can use handbrake to reformat the files if you are darn quick and select the file before it crashes.  Tricky but it can be done. 

    Good of luck my friend.  Good luck.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-08-08T20:17:57+00:00

    so... more news on this debacle.   the windows 10 update solves the problem.

    hurrah...  now if it would run on my surface without making everything blink every 6 seconds life would be dandy.

    :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-11-30T11:23:29+00:00

    I have the same problem...can do nothing with the file without some sort of crash.

    I have the .MOV file on the desktop and even mousing over it crashes and the desktop reloads.

    Went into safe mode and still crashes on mouse-over.

    Can't right click or select the file to delete it.

    Have opened desktop as a folder and still can't touch the file.

    Closes any program I try to open it with.

    Funny thing is that I copied two files from my Iphone and the other one is OK.

    Think I may have to go over to Apple.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments