Problems opening/deleting .MOV files in Windows 8.1

Anonymous
2014-11-16T17:25:53+00:00

When I attempt to open some .MOV files instead of starting up Apple QuickTime Player (which is set as default program for this file type) 10 to 15 seconds Windows closes the folder containing the .MOV file without any explanation. Further attempts result in the same outcome. If I right-click and Delete the .MOV file quickly within a few seconds of opening the folder, Windows does remove it to the Recycle Bin. However, when I then try to Empty the Recycle Bin, Windows suddenly closes it without any explanation. Re-opening the Recycle Bin shows that the .MOV file is still listed. Attempting to Delete it has the same outcome.

This only occurs with some of my  .MOV files; others work as expected. I haven't been able to distinguish any key differences between those that work and those that manifest this problem.

I am running a fully updated version on my Dell Inspiron 660S desktop PC and have the latest version of Norton Internet Security installed.

I have run a full system scan with Norton and no issues have been detected other than a small number of Tracking Cookies which Norton has removed.

Does any one have any thoughts on what may be the cause?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-12-16T16:28:08+00:00

    Oh and a bit more information....

    when I tried to render the movie that contained the .mov files converted to mp4 to a wmv format - the render took over 20 hours for a 15 minute film. And the finished .wmv file did not contain all of the soundtrack (this stopped about two thirds of the way through). 

    When I rendered this same move to mp4 it took 20 minutes. 

    So not only can windows not handle apple .mov files, when these files are converted to a standard mp4 format - windows cannot write them to a windows format without a terrific struggle.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-12-16T16:10:31+00:00

    Thanks for your interest - in reply. 

    1.  I am not able to get as far as opening .mov files!  (this is a far distant aspiration that I dare not dream) - As soon as I look in any subdirectory that contains .mov files with the file explorer tool - the file explorer tool is closed down.   I have been successful in converting them to mp4 using handbrake - but if I take too long selecting the file - this crashes also.   So does serif movie plus if I try importing them into that.
    2.  I am running the latest copy of quicktime - I never use it - preferring (until now) - to use movie player.  However, if I try to open a .mov file with it it tells me that it has stopped working and then this box too disappears.  
    3.  the .mov files are in various (now useless) - subdirectories on the C: drive on my computer (internal). 

    FYI - I have now spent many pounds (engineers, new cameras, old cameras, card readers, cables etc)  trying to sort this problem out as my business depends on my ability to create video files.    So if you can get this sorted asap I would be most grateful, because at present, I am at a standstill and having to use the equipment I was using 6 years ago in order to get anything published. 

    :)

    I eagerly await a patch.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-12-16T15:11:13+00:00

    Hello Katep,

    Thank you for posting with the issue description.

    I would like to know the following information:

    1. How are you trying to open those .mov files, which app are you using to open those .mov files?
    2. Do you have the latest quick time player installed on the computer?
    3. Where are the .mov files located on the computer or is it located on external drive? 

    Please reply with the required information, which will help us to understand this issue better and help you further.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-12-09T17:51:35+00:00

    I have this exact problem, only since updating to windows 8.1.  

    .mov files which previously ran , now will not.  The computer crashes whenever I try to look at a directory that contains .mov files.  And the pc is no longer able to display thumbs of the clips without falling over.

    My my computer guy says that windows 8.1 does not support .mov files any longer as this is a no apple format.   Is this true?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-11-24T15:19:15+00:00

    Hello Norwegian,

    Thank you for replying with the issue status.

    Sorry to know your main concern still not resolved. I appreciate your efforts in resolving the issue.

    Let's try the following methods and check if it helps.

    Method 1: Place the computer in clean boot state and check if the Windows explorer still crashes when attempt to delete the .MOV files.

    A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program.

    How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in  Windows 8 and windows 8.1http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

    Note: To reset the computer to normal mode after troubleshooting, please refer “How to reset the computer to start as usual” from the above article.

    **Method 2:**If the issue still persists, you may run the system file scan to see if there is any missing or corrupted files.

    System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

    Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833/en-us

    Also check if there are any errors are listed in Event viewer.

    Event logs are special files that record significant events on your computer, such as when a user logs on to the computer or when a program encounters an error.

    To open view the logs please follow the steps.

    Press Windows key + W

    Type "View Event Logs" on the Start screen and hit Enter.

    Hope this information helps, please reply with the status if the issue for further assistance, we will be happy to assist.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments