Problems opening/deleting .MOV files in Windows 8.1

Anonymous
2014-11-16T17:25:53+00:00

When I attempt to open some .MOV files instead of starting up Apple QuickTime Player (which is set as default program for this file type) 10 to 15 seconds Windows closes the folder containing the .MOV file without any explanation. Further attempts result in the same outcome. If I right-click and Delete the .MOV file quickly within a few seconds of opening the folder, Windows does remove it to the Recycle Bin. However, when I then try to Empty the Recycle Bin, Windows suddenly closes it without any explanation. Re-opening the Recycle Bin shows that the .MOV file is still listed. Attempting to Delete it has the same outcome.

This only occurs with some of my  .MOV files; others work as expected. I haven't been able to distinguish any key differences between those that work and those that manifest this problem.

I am running a fully updated version on my Dell Inspiron 660S desktop PC and have the latest version of Norton Internet Security installed.

I have run a full system scan with Norton and no issues have been detected other than a small number of Tracking Cookies which Norton has removed.

Does any one have any thoughts on what may be the cause?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-01-05T21:46:24+00:00

    Well now, more information...  I suddenly thought, before I factory reset the husbands pc I would just check to see if his pic has the same issues with .mov files.  And guess what, yes it does,  exactly the same issues viewing any subdirectory with .mov files in it. 

    So that is 100% of the PCs under my control with this error. 

    Erm.... Hello....  Earth calling Microsoft..... Is anyone doing anything about this or is this a system feature designed to make us all switch to Apple so you don't have to bother? 

    Just wondering.   Because not only can we not view our mov files, we cannot see anything that is in a subdirectory with them, and as someone who creates videos for a living this is pretty much everything on my hard drive.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-01-05T17:48:15+00:00

    Thanks for that Katep don't. Certainly smells more like a Win 8/8.1 disaster.

    Look forward to your verdict of the factory reset.... Good Luck! :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-01-05T17:03:25+00:00

    Hi leadhillsmike - sorry you are suffering too :( 

    It looks like the only thing that we have in common is the Windows fully up to date :), this may or may not be a coincidence lol. 

    I am running on a compaq PC - ipad 4 is creating the .mov files, iTunes version is 11.1.2.32

    As a matter of fact, this whole windows 8.1 debacle has finally tipped the husband over the edge and he is going fully apple this week and I must say I envy him.  I cannot because of my websites and the software that I use to build and maintain them so.....

    I am getting his pc which is a bit swisher than mine,  -  I will reset it to factory settings  and start afresh with the operating system updates...  

    It will be interesting to find out whether this solves the problem.  If it does I will post a message here, infact  will post either way. 

    Wish me luck.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-01-05T09:27:43+00:00

    Noted that "katep don't" above found system restore did not resolve the issue. To add more to the mix, I am working on a laptop for a friend - no Quicktime, just iTunes, same problem. MOVs from iphones causing problems.

    I have found that block deletes of multiple files can be done. CTRL A, delete key, then empty recycle bin from icon context menu - any attempt to access recycle bin will fail.

    Have also noted that the only MOV Explorer has created a thumbnail for is the one I accessed when creating the association with itunes.

    I have managed to associate MOVs with iTunes, which seems to help in playing some of them, but explorer crash problem remains. iTunes version: 12.0.1.26; Win 8,1 fully up to date on Lenovo c500. iPhone is the 3GS.

    Might be informative to share specs here, see if there is any closer common factor.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. btbt 11,841 Reputation points
    2014-12-21T16:08:23+00:00

    Has anyone here tried reinstalling the latest version of QuickTime? Or ensured that they don't have other codec packs installed?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments