Problems opening/deleting .MOV files in Windows 8.1

Anonymous
2014-11-16T17:25:53+00:00

When I attempt to open some .MOV files instead of starting up Apple QuickTime Player (which is set as default program for this file type) 10 to 15 seconds Windows closes the folder containing the .MOV file without any explanation. Further attempts result in the same outcome. If I right-click and Delete the .MOV file quickly within a few seconds of opening the folder, Windows does remove it to the Recycle Bin. However, when I then try to Empty the Recycle Bin, Windows suddenly closes it without any explanation. Re-opening the Recycle Bin shows that the .MOV file is still listed. Attempting to Delete it has the same outcome.

This only occurs with some of my  .MOV files; others work as expected. I haven't been able to distinguish any key differences between those that work and those that manifest this problem.

I am running a fully updated version on my Dell Inspiron 660S desktop PC and have the latest version of Norton Internet Security installed.

I have run a full system scan with Norton and no issues have been detected other than a small number of Tracking Cookies which Norton has removed.

Does any one have any thoughts on what may be the cause?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-01-06T17:27:11+00:00

    Hello again,

    In my reply above I inserted a picture of the error message as displayed by Windows but it's not showing so I'll try again

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-01-06T17:21:08+00:00

    Hi Katep,

    I have just tried removing these two updates (KB2975719 originally installed on 13 August 2014 and KB2995388 originally installed on 15 October 2014) but still have the problem with or without them installed.  The dates of these updates are earlier than the date on which I began to experience these problems related to .MOV files.  I have now re-installed these two updates.

    As mentioned earlier in this thread, for me the problems started after installing the 15 Windows updates issued by Microsoft on 12 November 2014.  

    Having just tried again to open a .MOV file from Windows Explorer I have received a new error message as follows:

    Hope this provides useful additional info for Microsoft to pin down the source of this problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-01-06T15:58:47+00:00

    Hi there Leadhillsmike - I am so glad that you have found a solution.

    According to my search - KB2795719 is not present on my machine (cannot delete something I cannot find)  - I have deleted the second update however, and sad to say - problem is still exactly the same as before.  :(

    Thanks for the info though - I will persist

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-01-05T23:33:49+00:00

    I have news!

    Removing KB2795719 and KB2995388 has done the trick. No more crashes, MOV thumbnails correctly generated, now launches to associated application without incident; and I can access and empty the Recycle bin unhindered by Explorer crashes.

    How long this will last is another matter...

    Still be watching this space for more insights and experiences.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-01-05T22:32:03+00:00

    Ouch!

    This is getting decidedly compelling, especially as one contribution on this thread has already hinted at a November patch Tuesday update being a possible cause - apparently their beasty was fine until then.

    The one I have been working on has exhibited this issue for approximately two months, as best my client can recall.

    So, MVPs, do we have any internal wisdom on this? An issue linked explicitly to MOV files, by the look of it, as origin of files varies as does playback software. The common denominator sure is looking like Win 8.1 recent update.

    Having said that, it seems this problem has been about since September at least - and my client is not renowned for keeping things up to date in a timely fashion - she may have installed updates in November that dated back a month or three; not a regular user, has a live outside computing.

    UPDATE:

    Just found a thread on Technet covering this very issue. Mixed benefits with respect to fixes, some worked, some have not and it's suggested that a "bug" may have been reintroduced November.

    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/abab222f-51b9-4068-af98-47339c0bb5f2/windows-81-file-explorer-crashes-repeatedly-with-iphone-movies-mov-files?forum=w8itproinstall

    Current wisdom is the following updates are behind the issue, but removal does not always work. These guys are mostly using Pro version, so updates may not be applicable to basic versions; anyway, here they are - nothing to loose by trying. To quote i_Mike:

    To fix the issue, I had to uninstall the following updates:

    KB2975719

    KB2995388

    EOQ ****Back to see if this works.... ****

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments