Problems opening/deleting .MOV files in Windows 8.1

Anonymous
2014-11-16T17:25:53+00:00

When I attempt to open some .MOV files instead of starting up Apple QuickTime Player (which is set as default program for this file type) 10 to 15 seconds Windows closes the folder containing the .MOV file without any explanation. Further attempts result in the same outcome. If I right-click and Delete the .MOV file quickly within a few seconds of opening the folder, Windows does remove it to the Recycle Bin. However, when I then try to Empty the Recycle Bin, Windows suddenly closes it without any explanation. Re-opening the Recycle Bin shows that the .MOV file is still listed. Attempting to Delete it has the same outcome.

This only occurs with some of my  .MOV files; others work as expected. I haven't been able to distinguish any key differences between those that work and those that manifest this problem.

I am running a fully updated version on my Dell Inspiron 660S desktop PC and have the latest version of Norton Internet Security installed.

I have run a full system scan with Norton and no issues have been detected other than a small number of Tracking Cookies which Norton has removed.

Does any one have any thoughts on what may be the cause?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-02-11T15:46:38+00:00

    Wow - this is great news Norwegian Blue.

    So with your updated windows 8.,1 are you now able to view items in subdirectories with .mov files without crashing?  Just wanna make sure before I upgrade to 8,1 again (as you know I had to go back to windows 8). 

    Thanks so much for letting us all know.   And yes - exasperating is hardly the word, perhaps extrasperating would be suitable?

    Kate

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-02-11T14:40:36+00:00

    12 updates were made available by Microsoft today via the regular update process.

    Once installed, I checked to see if the problems previously experienced with .MOV files by Windows Explorer and Windows Media Player still existed and, guess what, all now seems to be working okay!

    Why don't Microsoft tell us that a particular update, or set of updates, will address certain known issues previously reported to them via this forum and list the issues fixed, so that those of us who have experienced the issues can check and confirm for ourselves that resolution is complete? 

    This lack of good communication is exasperating.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-01-23T22:55:20+00:00

    Well, Rizwanpasha my efforts to resolve this problem have been driven by necessity. 

    When, if ever, may we expect a patch from Microsoft?  I mean the thanks are nice and all, but don't help me.  I have had to return to windows 8 and buy a new computer.  

    ???????

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-01-23T22:43:40+00:00

    Hi,

    Thank you for sharing the workaround you manage to find for this issue, This will help the users experiencing similar issue. Your efforts to resolve this problem is very much appreciated. Please feel free to reply, in case you face any other issues with Windows in future.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-01-21T21:23:49+00:00

    In common with many others I am also now unable to open .mov files after they are copied to Windows 8.1 environment from my Apple iPhone 4s. As a work-around I am converting these files to .AVI format using third party software (AVS Video Converter). This is not quite as straight-forward as it should be but it works as long as you do not mouse-click the .mov files. I am no expert in these matters but have made a youtube clip that illustrates this work-around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peaOL-Hp1uk

    I have also found that the original .mov files can be deleted by means of the DEL command at the DOS prompt.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments