Problems opening/deleting .MOV files in Windows 8.1

Anonymous
2014-11-16T17:25:53+00:00

When I attempt to open some .MOV files instead of starting up Apple QuickTime Player (which is set as default program for this file type) 10 to 15 seconds Windows closes the folder containing the .MOV file without any explanation. Further attempts result in the same outcome. If I right-click and Delete the .MOV file quickly within a few seconds of opening the folder, Windows does remove it to the Recycle Bin. However, when I then try to Empty the Recycle Bin, Windows suddenly closes it without any explanation. Re-opening the Recycle Bin shows that the .MOV file is still listed. Attempting to Delete it has the same outcome.

This only occurs with some of my  .MOV files; others work as expected. I haven't been able to distinguish any key differences between those that work and those that manifest this problem.

I am running a fully updated version on my Dell Inspiron 660S desktop PC and have the latest version of Norton Internet Security installed.

I have run a full system scan with Norton and no issues have been detected other than a small number of Tracking Cookies which Norton has removed.

Does any one have any thoughts on what may be the cause?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-02-16T18:19:39+00:00

    No apologies needed Norwegian blue, at least not from you lol, 

    Mr Gates however... 

    I will ill run the next batch of updates and keep fingers crossed. 

    And on on the upside, I am now a lot more computer literate than I ws 

    😃

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-02-16T17:28:03+00:00

    That's very puzzling.  As I have a lot of .mov files, my testing was limited to a random sample and each test worked fine - opening and playing with Apple QuickTime, cutting and pasting to move between folders, deleting and emptying the recycle bin.

    Your experience suggests I'll have to check every .mov file before I can be totally sure.

    Apologies for misleading you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-02-16T12:50:48+00:00

    Oh no!  Well sorry to say that I have upgraded to windows 8.1 and the mov problem is still here. 

    I have fully embraced all of the new updates too.  :(

    Never mind.  I will struggle on and should have saved enough money to buy an apple before too much longer :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-02-11T17:24:52+00:00

    Thank you and bless you Norwegian Blue.

    xxxx

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-02-11T16:36:49+00:00

    To be doubly sure I have just tested again and can confirm that all is now working.

    So should be the same for other Windows 8.1 users.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments