Problems opening/deleting .MOV files in Windows 8.1

Anonymous
2014-11-16T17:25:53+00:00

When I attempt to open some .MOV files instead of starting up Apple QuickTime Player (which is set as default program for this file type) 10 to 15 seconds Windows closes the folder containing the .MOV file without any explanation. Further attempts result in the same outcome. If I right-click and Delete the .MOV file quickly within a few seconds of opening the folder, Windows does remove it to the Recycle Bin. However, when I then try to Empty the Recycle Bin, Windows suddenly closes it without any explanation. Re-opening the Recycle Bin shows that the .MOV file is still listed. Attempting to Delete it has the same outcome.

This only occurs with some of my  .MOV files; others work as expected. I haven't been able to distinguish any key differences between those that work and those that manifest this problem.

I am running a fully updated version on my Dell Inspiron 660S desktop PC and have the latest version of Norton Internet Security installed.

I have run a full system scan with Norton and no issues have been detected other than a small number of Tracking Cookies which Norton has removed.

Does any one have any thoughts on what may be the cause?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-01-05T23:33:49+00:00

    I have news!

    Removing KB2795719 and KB2995388 has done the trick. No more crashes, MOV thumbnails correctly generated, now launches to associated application without incident; and I can access and empty the Recycle bin unhindered by Explorer crashes.

    How long this will last is another matter...

    Still be watching this space for more insights and experiences.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-01-05T22:32:03+00:00

    Ouch!

    This is getting decidedly compelling, especially as one contribution on this thread has already hinted at a November patch Tuesday update being a possible cause - apparently their beasty was fine until then.

    The one I have been working on has exhibited this issue for approximately two months, as best my client can recall.

    So, MVPs, do we have any internal wisdom on this? An issue linked explicitly to MOV files, by the look of it, as origin of files varies as does playback software. The common denominator sure is looking like Win 8.1 recent update.

    Having said that, it seems this problem has been about since September at least - and my client is not renowned for keeping things up to date in a timely fashion - she may have installed updates in November that dated back a month or three; not a regular user, has a live outside computing.

    UPDATE:

    Just found a thread on Technet covering this very issue. Mixed benefits with respect to fixes, some worked, some have not and it's suggested that a "bug" may have been reintroduced November.

    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/abab222f-51b9-4068-af98-47339c0bb5f2/windows-81-file-explorer-crashes-repeatedly-with-iphone-movies-mov-files?forum=w8itproinstall

    Current wisdom is the following updates are behind the issue, but removal does not always work. These guys are mostly using Pro version, so updates may not be applicable to basic versions; anyway, here they are - nothing to loose by trying. To quote i_Mike:

    To fix the issue, I had to uninstall the following updates:

    KB2975719

    KB2995388

    EOQ ****Back to see if this works.... ****

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-01-05T21:46:24+00:00

    Well now, more information...  I suddenly thought, before I factory reset the husbands pc I would just check to see if his pic has the same issues with .mov files.  And guess what, yes it does,  exactly the same issues viewing any subdirectory with .mov files in it. 

    So that is 100% of the PCs under my control with this error. 

    Erm.... Hello....  Earth calling Microsoft..... Is anyone doing anything about this or is this a system feature designed to make us all switch to Apple so you don't have to bother? 

    Just wondering.   Because not only can we not view our mov files, we cannot see anything that is in a subdirectory with them, and as someone who creates videos for a living this is pretty much everything on my hard drive.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-01-05T17:48:15+00:00

    Thanks for that Katep don't. Certainly smells more like a Win 8/8.1 disaster.

    Look forward to your verdict of the factory reset.... Good Luck! :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-01-05T17:03:25+00:00

    Hi leadhillsmike - sorry you are suffering too :( 

    It looks like the only thing that we have in common is the Windows fully up to date :), this may or may not be a coincidence lol. 

    I am running on a compaq PC - ipad 4 is creating the .mov files, iTunes version is 11.1.2.32

    As a matter of fact, this whole windows 8.1 debacle has finally tipped the husband over the edge and he is going fully apple this week and I must say I envy him.  I cannot because of my websites and the software that I use to build and maintain them so.....

    I am getting his pc which is a bit swisher than mine,  -  I will reset it to factory settings  and start afresh with the operating system updates...  

    It will be interesting to find out whether this solves the problem.  If it does I will post a message here, infact  will post either way. 

    Wish me luck.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments