Windows 8.1 update fails.

Anonymous
2015-06-24T20:33:32+00:00

Since the last "Patch Tuesday" on June 9, none of the important and other available updates will install. This is my last attempt to find a solution to the issue. I tried everything: troubleshooting, chat with MS Support for two(!) hours, googling all sorts of forums. All tis with no results. Remarkably, even MS chat from Answer Desk was unable to help. I cannot believe it that there is no help/support from MS available. That, if it is true, is very sad to say the least. I am sure that there is somebody at MS who could help/support to get the issue resolved but where is he or she??? I have been working on the issue at least 3 hours a day since June 9!!

The PC runs perfectly on the other hand. The errors that appear when looking into the details in the update history are the following ones:

  1. 800F0922
  2. 80071A91

both appear always,

  1. 80246010
  2. 80240054

both appear only a couple of times but the 2 above.

There is NO clear explanation for these errors or where the source may lie. This is in a way ridiculous. Why show them when no solution is offered at all?

Is there anyone at MS who can help??? If not, I am forced to reinstall Windows 8 from the purchased DVD and go then through the whole reinstallation and update process.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-06-29T06:29:15+00:00

    Hi,

    Thank you for the update on the issue.

    As the scan completes but could not performed the requested operation so it means there is some corruption with the system files. Before performing Refresh, there are more steps which we can try, as Refresh used to be the last step of troubleshooting.

    Try to perform clean boot and disable security software temporarily and then try to install updates. There might be a chance that security software is restricting it to get installed or some third party application/services/startup items are restricting it to get installed.


    Step 1: Clean boot

    Putting your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot.


    How to perform a clean boot in Windows

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/en-us

    **Note:**Refer "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting" to reset the computer to start as normal after troubleshooting.


    Step 2: Disable anti-virus temporarily.

    Note: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

    Step 3:

    Try to install the updates and check the status of the issue.

    Do keep us updated about the status of your issue and we will be happy to assist you.

    Regards,

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-06-28T17:58:23+00:00

    Did the scan and it completed 100%. The resulting message was:

    Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.

    I went to the link mentioned in your post, but that one refers to Windows 7 for safe mode.

    I have done safe mode before by using msconfig.exe but it did not help. With 8.1 the safe mode is no longer available as in W 7, nor works F8 anymore on HP desktops.

    I also checked in PC Settings > Update and Recovery. Getting started with Refresh I get the message:

    "Could not find the recovery environment."

    Insert your Windows Installation media or recovery unit, and restart your PC with the media.

    The Windows Installation media, I have is the Windows 8 DVD purchased from Microsoft. I have no media for 8.1.

    So, I think there is nothing either to fix the issue. I would guess that this directs to a reinstallation etc., etc.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-06-28T06:38:11+00:00

    Hi,

    Thank you for the detailed information of your issue.

    I can understand your frustration and inconvenience, as things are not going the right way as it should be. Performing Refresh/Reset is the last step. Before doing that we have few more steps lets try them first.

    I would suggest you to check the system files are they working fine or not and to check that try to run System File Checker (SFC) tool.

    SFC scan will scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

    How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows 8.

    1. Press Windows key and X at the same time.
    2. Choose Command Prompt (Admin) from the context menu.
    3. In the command prompt, type sfc /scannow and hit Enter.
    4. Exit command prompt.

    For more information refer to this link:


    Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833/en-us


    Hope this would help. If issue still persists post back with current status of your computer and result of proposed suggestion, we will be happy to assist you.

    Regards,

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-06-26T19:18:10+00:00

    Kumar.

    Unfortunately the result is "Fail".

    Here are the details:

    Step 1:

    All the services mentioned start automatically and were running, incl. their dependencies. I think there is no the issue.

    Step 2:

    The commands worked as you recommended: all at the same time. However, there was a problem with the command:

    ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old

    A message said : Access denied! I checked that in File Explorer under c:\Windows\System32 and I found three folders: catroot, catroot2.old, catroot2.

    Catroot is the oldest with a creation date of 22 Aug. 13, containing 2 folders one from 22 Aug 13, the other with the same creation date and a modified date of 23 June 15.

    catroot.old with a creation date of 22 Aug 13. Contains two folders and various files.

    catroot2 with a creation date of 23 June 15, containing 2 folders and various files all with a creation date of 23 June 15. The folder is has nor access restriction.

    I continued despite the fact with the renaming, restarted and tried the update again. As previously, the updates installed, and I then restarted the PC.

    When you normally restart with an Update installed the PC tells that it updates in the form of a percentage, stops normally at 35% and continues to restart. Then it goes into the Restart and continues to do the updates to 100%.  What happens here in my case? It only says "Getting Windows ready". For me its the sign that the update fails and so it did. Of the 19 important and recommended updates 18 failed and only one succeeded and that was CAPICOM (KB931960) It has done the exact same thing before since I have this issue.

    If there is a possibility to reinstall Windows 8.1 w/o destroying all other installations and personal files etc., it would probably solve the issue.

    I also discovered that the refresh resp. Advanced tools for repair are no longer available. I tried that before and it did not help either. So, I suspect in some area of my system is a massive corruption. The only help would be as mentioned above. I am also worried that the upgrade to Windows 10 (is being reserved already) would not work, if not all W 8.1 updates are properly installed.

    Maybe, you could escalate the issue and see what some other people concerned with the update component can contribute.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-06-26T09:06:37+00:00

    Hi,

    Thank you for the update on the issue in such a detailed way.

    If issue is still persisting, I would suggest you to check if you are able to access Windows Update service and also make sure that the following services are started. If it is not started follow these steps:

    Step 1:

    a. Click on Start, type "services.msc" (without quotes) in start search box and press Enter.

    b. Locate Windows Update service.

    c. Right clickon the Windows Update service and select Properties.

    d. In Start-up type, select Enable.

    e. Click Start under Service status.

    f. Click OK.

    g. Repeat the steps c to f for the following services also:

    Background Intelligent Transfer Service & Cryptographic Service.

    If the steps do not help resolve the issue, then you may proceed with the methods mentioned below and check.

    Step 2: Step by step instructions to get the issue fixed.

    a) Click on “Start” and type “cmd” (without the quotations) in the start search box.

    b) When you see the “cmd” icon in the start search list, Right Click on it and select “Run as administrator”.

    c) On the open Command Prompt window copy and paste the commands (all at once) –

    net stop wuauserv net stop cryptSvc   net stop bits net stop msiserver ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old net start wuauserv net start cryptSvc net start bits net start msiserver

    d) Wait for the process to complete.

    e) Close the Command Prompt.

    After completion of all these steps restart your computer and then try to install the Windows Update.

    Hope this would help. If issue still persists post back with current status of your computer and result of the proposed suggestion, we will be happy to assist you.

    Regards,

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments