Apologies. I can be a bit short sometimes.
3 PCS all running XP SP3 and Windows Live Mail Desktop. Different accounts on each PC. Upgraded the standard IE6 that comes with XP SP3 to IE8 from file hippo.
During the installation on one page it asks to install updates incl the Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - left this ticked.
Next page got a green tick against "Downloading" and a red cross against "Checking your computer for malicious software" and busy "Installing Internet Explorer 8". Install updates and Finish setup disappeared to quick before I could make note. I'm guessing here that no updates available for XP SP3. Second PC was just as successful with internet temporarily disabled so definitely no updates.
Next page "Choose your settings". TICKED Use Express settings" listing:
Search provider: Private search
Search Updates; Download provider updates
Accelerators: Blog with Windows Live, Map with Live Search, E-mail with Windows Live
Translate with Live Search
Smartscreen Filter: Enabled
Default Browser: Internet Explorer
Compatibility View: Use updates
I have no idea what half of these settings do.
And that's it. All worked beautifully after that on two PCs. Still to do last.
Note: I tend to use FireFox as default and on first PC couldn't get manually set IE6 to be default for some reason. IE8 is now default
I have screen shots if you want them. But you aren't struggling with IE6 to IE8 are you? or XP SP3?
Upgrading to IE8 from IE6 works for me to be able to use windows live on my xp laptop.
Beware of the hippofile though for IE8. I found there to be some malware that hijacks your home page, if you download anything else besides IE8.
Regards, Gary.