Getting Error code 0x80048820 Sorry, we were unable to sign you in to Windows Live ID at this time. Please try again later

Anonymous
2014-12-16T22:09:11+00:00

Original title: I can't connect to Hotmail via Windows Live Mail

I normally access my Hotmail account via Windows Live Mail but suddenly I'm getting this message when I try to login:

Unable to send or receive messages for the Hotmail (rggraham1947) account. Sorry, we were unable to sign you in to Windows Live ID at this time. Please try again later.

Server Error: 0x80048820

Server: 'http://mail.services.live.com/DeltaSync_v2.0.0/Sync.aspx'

Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x80048820

When I checked the server information in the hotmail properties it shows:

http://mail.services.live.com/DeltaSync\_v2.0.0/sync.aspx

I don't think this is correct but I don't remember what the correct settings should be.

Can anyone help, please?

regards,

rggraham1947

Windows for home | Other | Email and communications

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-12-28T19:04:37+00:00

    The host 'smtp-mail.outlook.com ' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly.

    You didn't! There is a trailing space after .com☐. Right-click on the account name in the folder pane and select Properties. Amend the server name on the Servers tab.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-12-28T18:50:23+00:00

    Hi Graham,

    Thank you for keeping us posted.

    I suggest you to follow these methods and check if it helps.

    Method 1: Check the Windows Live Status.

    I suggest you to check the Windows Live Status from the below link.

    http://status.live.com

    If you find any errors, please make a note of it.

    Method 2: Make Internet Explorer as default.

    I suggest you to make Internet Explorer as default and check the settings to “Automatically detect settings” from LAN settings, refer to the below steps:

    1. Press Windows + R keys, opens Run command.
    2. Type “inetcpl.cpl” and click on Ok.
    3. Go to Connections tab.
    4. Click on LAN settings and check box “Automatically detect settings”

    Restart the browser for the following changes to take place.

    If the issue still persist, please configure the POP & SMTP server manually.

    • POP3 Server: pop-mail.outlook.com (port 995)
    • SMTP Server: smtp-mail.outlook.com (port 25)

    Keep us updated about the status of the issue.

    Method 2:

    The host 'smtp-mail.outlook.com ' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly.

    Subject 'Rumbo.es: Hotel Silken Atlántida Santa Cruz , Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain - 759 Guest reviews . Book your hotel now!'

    Server: 'smtp-mail.outlook.com '

    Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0D

    Protocol: SMTP

    Port: 25

    Secure(SSL): No

    Socket Error: 11001

    regards,

    rggraham1947

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-12-28T18:04:22+00:00

    TWO working now! One PC left to go. Still not sure as to what fixes it. Strongly suggest the IE settings of making it default. IE8 works with XP SP3. Don't let them tell you otherwise. Got mine from file hippo site.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-12-28T15:30:16+00:00

    Hi. As mentioned before I am running various accounts on 3 PCs. All with the same error message 0x80048820 on the same day and nothing I'd done.

     Above method 1 shows nothing onerous. Tried playing with the Internet explorer settings as suggested to no avail. Thought I'd try updating internet explorer. Microsoft site says I can't as OS is too old and I need to buy a new PC.

     Found a third party site with IE8. Downloaded using trusty FireFox and installed that. It went through a few settings especially about making IE8 default browser. (I had tried that one before but didn't seem to take - thought that odd.) Windows Live Mail Desktop NOW WORKS on said PC with absolutely NO CHANGES to Windows Live Mail Desktop. All hotmail/windows live mail accounts sync'd using HTTP and not gone to POP3.  WooHoo!

    Going to try same fix on others. I will keep you posted.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-12-28T10:26:55+00:00

    Why does this appear in the server properties?

    http://mail.services.live.com/DeltaSync\_v2.0.0/sync.aspx

    DeltaSync uses HTTP (the same protocol as the World Wide Web uses) to send and receive messages and contact and calendar data. Other mail services use protocols like POP3, IMAP and SMTP to send and receive messages. Those protocols need to know which mail server they are supposed to be connecting to, usually entered in the form mail.domain.tld. 

    DeltaSync knows which URL it has to connect to via HTTP; the URL is only given for your information. You'll probably find that you could change it on the properties sheet to http:// mail.mickey.mouse without this making the slightest difference to your being able to send and receive email.

    Has Microsoft/Windows Live changed this or is it malware?

    I think it was in 2008 that DeltaSync_v1.0.0 was upgraded to DeltaSync_v2.0.0.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments