What is Diagnostics Tracking Service which was installed from Windows Updates?

Anonymous
2015-05-02T00:06:17+00:00

Original title: Microsoft is installing SPYWARE thru Windows Updates?

Windows updates installed something called "Diagnostics Tracking Service" in my Windows 8.1 Pro.

Take a look at THIS website.

http://thepcwhisperer.blogspot.in/2014/10/microsofts-windows-10-preview-has-built.html

It says what this service does in Windows 10 TP.

Data We Collect

When you acquire, install and use the Program, Microsoft collects information about you, your devices, applications and networks, and your use of those devices, applications and networks. Examples of data we collect include your name, email address, preferences and interests; browsing, search and file history; phone call and SMS data; device configuration and sensor data; and application usage. For example, when you:

  • install the Program, we may collect information about your device and applications and use it for purposes such as determining or improving compatibility,
  • use voice input features like speech-to-text, we may collect voice information and use it for purposes such as improving speech processing,
  • open a file, we may collect information about the file, the application used to open the file, and how long it takes and use it for purposes such as improving performance, or
  • enter text, we may collect typed characters and use them for purposes such as improving auto complete and spell check features.

While this might make some sense in a TP (although I consider collecting so much personal information as email addresses and keystrokes to be extreme), it makes no sense in a released Windows version.

It's not like I have downloaded it myself from their website as a loving gesture and I want to share whatever I do in my personal life with Microsoft. They slipped it in as an "update" to Windows 8.1

This is definitely spyware behavior in some sense. It's collecting too much personal data.

I don't want to share ANYTHING with Microsoft. I have NOT turned on the customer improvement program thing in Windows.

WHY IS MICROSOFT DOING THIS?

WHICH KB DO I NEED TO UNINSTALL AND BLOCK IN ORDER TO GET RID OF THIS?

WHY IS MY ANTIVIRUS NOT REMOVING THIS? HAS MS PAID THE ANTIVIRUS VENDORS?

SHOULD I DISABLE AUTOMATIC UPDATES? I'M LOSING TRUST ON MICROSOFT. THEY CAN INSTALL SPYWARE ANY MOMENT, I CANNOT INDIVIDUALLY CHECK THE KB ARTICLE ON EVERY UPDATE JUST TO MAKE SURE IT'S NOT SOMETHING THAT'LL SEND PERSONAL INFORMATION BACK TO MS.

I'm really upset about this. :(

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

51 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-05-09T13:00:08+00:00

    i noticed this abomination recently and search led me here, thank you for this information. because this is not the first or last time, this is what i usually do:

    I do not uninstall, because some of these have a strong power to return, so in task bar right click on process and open services, there i find it in the list, properties, startup type:disabled

    if it was not from windows i would uninstall

    windows update has been disabled for a long time on my pc, but its microsoft and they know how to slip malicious software on your pc

    ever since different uninvited Microsoft processes repeatedly suck internet traffic and processor power i stopped updating. I would even return to older versions of windows if my games would be working on them.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-11-30T03:35:19+00:00

    Mr. Lead3,

    You must be joking!

    How do you say do not install this update in windows 10?

    Have you installed one? Have you even see one?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-11-26T06:58:58+00:00

    also something worth noting is that this service commonly shows up at the top if you sort processes in task manager by network usage

    turning off this service I get faster internet speeds and am able to stream 1080p yotube vids while a torrent or download goes along at 405 kb per second, something I tried before and the youtube vid struggled at 720p and the download averaged out at about 350 kb per second to 300 kb per second

    although I do suspect some other services were having issues as browsing to most websites wasn't working and my antivirus was reporting that the firewall/internet security was having issues and no matter how many times i clicked fix now and accepted the uac prompt the internet part of my antivirus refused to work and virus definition updates were failing aswell

    upon rebooting it seemed to hang on shutting down windows services, this one in particular it hung on for quite a while (I have shutdown/log off/restart etc, verbose turned on)

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-11-22T02:40:35+00:00

    I totally agree it is a very sad day.  What happened to respect and personal privacy?

    Time to try and find a new operating system with some integrity and morals. Any Ideas?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-11-21T16:18:54+00:00

    hi everyone, I am new to computers and stuff and as I was searching in task manager to find out what was bogging my system down I came across this file utcsvc, and in it was this diagnostics tracking service, I run windows 10 and was pretty sure that when I got it that this file had to stay on in order for Cortana to work,now granted I love Cortana but I do not want everything I click to go to be saved and combed through so I will turn Cortana off if this is the case, my question is, how do I get rid of such a file if its already on my machine?  Granted I do nothing to have to worry about someone looking through my stuff but at the same time its MY stuff and I hate the fact I am being spied on,. I knew when I accepted the agreement there was a certain amount of "spying" that was going to happen but I did not think it was this level, so if you guys could tell me how to remove it and what features removing it I lose on windows 10 would be awesome..and thanks again for this thread to show us who are not that good with these things what threats are being put out.

    Thank you

    Derick

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments