Windows 8.1 Store Not working

Anonymous
2014-12-26T13:26:41+00:00

Yesterday I upgraded to windows 8.1. after installing my programs, I launched the Windows Store, and to my surprise, it said: "We weren't able to connect to the Store. This might have happened because of a server problem or the network connection timed out. please wait a few moments and try again.(0x800072efd)

I googled the error code and visited multiple forums and followed the instructions, and after a few hours, it still said exactly the same. I have tried wsreset.exe, messing around with the firewall, tried refreshing my computer and rebooting multiple times. could anybody please help me with this problem?

sincerely,

Ryan

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Microsoft Store

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-01-04T02:43:45+00:00

    I tried a local admin account and a local account, all the same though...

    Have you disabled UAC?   Netplwiz.exe

    Never mind.  I just saw the same thing.  I suspect it is a misleading message, e.g. just conveniently using one which would be appropriate in another scenario.  Probably the real problem is that there are bits and pieces which are needed to be running which are being suppressed by safe mode.

    Sorry for the bad suggestion.

    It would be nice though if we could tell whether there was even an attempt to contact the Store or whether this is just more hocus pocus.  E.g. that way we would know if there is really connectivity or if something else is broken.  Even nicer if it would tell us exactly what is broken.  E.g. in this case which specific piece isn't running.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-01-04T04:59:56+00:00

    procmon

    I noticed something odd about your Environment variables.  I don't know if it is just something that happens in this context or not but I think it would be worthwhile checking in a cmd window to see what you get from entering there:

        set  t

    and

       set  l

    E.g. unless the Store app overrides your standard variables with its own values (surely not**) I think you should try setting them back to normal.*  I don't know if there is a repair method for doing this but FWIW

    here is what I have there:

    set  LocalAppData=%UserProfile%\AppData\Local

    set  TEMP=%LocalAppData%\Temp

    set  TMP=%LocalAppData%\Temp

    Obviously the first one is more critical than the others. 

    *But depending on how long those have been set like that another concern would be what else would need to change?  This may be why a common suggestion is to clone your account in a new one.  Which reminds me, I have been intending on making sure that I showed you this thread.   Guess how it was resolved?   ; )

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-windows_update/windows-81-store-error-0x80070002-comprehensive/2b0ed3e1-1835-4517-97dd-0a7abb6ef74c?page=3

    HTH

    Robert


    **Edit:  I'm having second thoughts about this the Process was WWAHOST.exe so maybe it would do something like that?   Hmm...  Yes.  It's another bad guess.  There is other evidence that the Process Start event points to different LOCALAPPDATA= values so then different TEMP= and TMP= values would also be no surprise I suppose.   <voice actor="Emily Litella"> Never mind! </ voice>

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-01-04T10:43:10+00:00

    Now your confused me...

    What should I do?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-01-04T14:11:09+00:00

    i did the first commands and it came up with these:

    C:\WINDOWS\system32>set  t

    TEMP=C:\Users\ryan\AppData\Local\Temp

    TMP=C:\Users\ryan\AppData\Local\Temp

    C:\WINDOWS\system32>

    and

    C:\WINDOWS\system32>set  l

    LOCALAPPDATA=C:\Users\ryan\AppData\Local

    LOGONSERVER=\MicrosoftAccount

    C:\WINDOWS\system32>

    i did the second commands as well, what now?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-01-04T16:31:30+00:00

     what now?

    Tell us more about the NetMon trace.  It wasn't done at the same time as the ProcMon one.  It started at 7:35:28.6472815 PM and looks like it may have got somewhere (or maybe just retried the same packet uncertainly?--PayloadLen=1460 then PayLoadLen=582.  4 instances.  Retry limit?).  Where did it get to?  

    There are a few things in the ProcMon trace which may be odd.  There is only one 1460 in it and that happens after a connection request.

    I think we are trying to dive too deep before we have a context to try doing it in.  I was expecting you to use your ProcMon trace to find  Operation Is WriteFile  events (so File Access class events which you did not include) in order to find out what diagnostics are being created.  You can match those by Path, Timestamp and Length with some actual log file content that looks meaningful.  That's when to try diving deeper--when you find some content that you want more information for.

    HTH

    Robert


    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments