Windows 8.1 Store Not working

Anonymous
2014-12-26T13:26:41+00:00

Yesterday I upgraded to windows 8.1. after installing my programs, I launched the Windows Store, and to my surprise, it said: "We weren't able to connect to the Store. This might have happened because of a server problem or the network connection timed out. please wait a few moments and try again.(0x800072efd)

I googled the error code and visited multiple forums and followed the instructions, and after a few hours, it still said exactly the same. I have tried wsreset.exe, messing around with the firewall, tried refreshing my computer and rebooting multiple times. could anybody please help me with this problem?

sincerely,

Ryan

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Microsoft Store

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-01-03T00:56:01+00:00

    why would it show me all the tiles and i could search stuff, but not be able to download?

    Without support documentation about how it is supposed to work and what diagnostics are available to check on that we are significantly in the dark about what we can do to even imagine what could be going wrong.  That's why I gave as my second suggestion to use ProcMon and warned that you can't even use that in safe mode.  Otherwise I suppose you could try getting some clues more conventionally from NetMon.  Sounds like you can get small stuff from the Store, e.g. lists and descriptions but nothing big.  Then that could suggest a problem with  MTU size or it might only mean that when it comes to downloads you get passed to a different server which you are having DNS problems with.  Etc.  Speculation is easy when there aren't any facts to contradict the hypotheses.

    HTH

    Robert


    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-01-02T21:20:25+00:00

    that's what i did(I actually know something about windows)

    why would it show me all the tiles and i could search stuff, but not be able to download?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-01-02T21:12:52+00:00

    after starting up in safe mode, the store worked but I couldn't download anything.

    That would be your cue to try "safe mode with networking".   ; )

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-01-02T18:13:00+00:00

    after starting up in safe mode, the store worked but I couldn't download anything. I went back to normal mode and started up the store after I removed a security program and it worked for a second, but then returned to the screen of: We weren't able to connect to the Store. This might have happened because of a server problem or the network connection timed out. please wait a few moments and try again.(0x800072efd)

    any ideas?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-12-30T04:12:49+00:00

    You can check if there is any other AV Software installed, if so uninstall the software. If still no go, try to do a PC Reset or Refresh and since the computer is just 4 days old, you can try to take it to the Factory settings and it will work for sure. 

    The reason could be for some system files corrupted. It can happen sometimes

    Also to avoid the confusion which most of the cx has, taking the computer back to factory settings, wont make any difference, because the factory image will have all the software and applications installed from day one you got the computer. Its equal to a new computer

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments