Windows 8.1 Store Not working

Anonymous
2014-12-26T13:26:41+00:00

Yesterday I upgraded to windows 8.1. after installing my programs, I launched the Windows Store, and to my surprise, it said: "We weren't able to connect to the Store. This might have happened because of a server problem or the network connection timed out. please wait a few moments and try again.(0x800072efd)

I googled the error code and visited multiple forums and followed the instructions, and after a few hours, it still said exactly the same. I have tried wsreset.exe, messing around with the firewall, tried refreshing my computer and rebooting multiple times. could anybody please help me with this problem?

sincerely,

Ryan

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Microsoft Store

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-01-06T11:43:38+00:00

    ****!

    i fired up my computer today, and the store works!

    I don't know why and how yet, but I plan to find out.

    I have school this week so i don't have a lot of time but i will post this weekend

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-01-04T20:33:54+00:00

    do you mean that i should look for it myself? if so, i'm not sure what i'm looking for exactly...

    For a start you can use the Operation Is WriteFile filter with the Tools, Count... on Path to get an inventory of all the files which are involved.  Doing that sometimes shows that there are more useful diagnostics than we were aware of otherwise.

    BTW another thing that came up today in another thread is the suggestion to use  WSReset.exe  Have you tried that?  I keep hoping that that is where they finally put in everything that is needed to help people get out of these jams.  So far it seems it is often deficient but who knows maybe something will have changed?

    In fact, we can find out when it last changed...  Or not...

    Powershell:   Get-Item  wsreset.exe  |  fl  *

    FullName          : C:\windows\system32\wsreset.exe <br><br>Extension         : .exe <br><br>CreationTime      : 2014-11-20 01:38:59 <br><br>CreationTimeUtc   : 2014-11-20 06:38:59 <br><br>LastAccessTime    : 2014-11-20 01:38:59 <br><br>LastAccessTimeUtc : 2014-11-20 06:38:59 <br><br>LastWriteTime     : 2014-10-28 22:34:36 <br><br>LastWriteTimeUtc  : 2014-10-29 02:34:36 <br><br>Attributes        : Archive

    Looks like I probably got that from the November Rollup.  Do you have that?  It shows as the first line of View Update History  (Win-w Vi Up Hi) --  Most recent cumulative update:  KB3000850

    In any case, that would be another thing that you could trace with ProcMon.  See if there are any interesting details written when you do that?  I'm not sure if it is necessary to be elevated when you do it or not.   However, one issue with that might be that it would only reset the profile of the user is was being run under.  I got that surprise once when I elevated  inetcpl.cpl  to do a RIES and found that I had reset my own profile (i.e. the administrator and not the one of the account I had signed in with.)  Not helpful.   ; }

    Good luck

    Robert


    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-01-04T19:23:31+00:00

    do you mean that i should look for it myself? if so, i'm not sure what i'm looking for exactly...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-01-04T18:18:15+00:00

    ran netmon in safe mode with networking

    Wow.  So, did you see something else than what Damon showed then?  There definitely was connectivity with an AKAMAI server then.  Well, actually I can only guess that.  We're on different sides of "the pond" apparently.

    Non-authoritative answer: <br><br>Name:    e3375.g.akamaiedge.net <br><br>Address:  96.16.45.199 <br><br>Aliases:  wscont.apps.microsoft.com <br><br>          wscont-scdn.windows.akadns.net <br><br>          wscont.apps.microsoft.com.edgekey.net

    Tracert to that IP is complete for me and shows this

    5    50 ms    49 ms    48 ms  a96-16-45-199.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com [96.16.45.199]

    Tracert to your host IP (not mine) gets here which would be consistent with the idea that we are both dealing with different server clusters but the same host names.

    6   137 ms   130 ms   136 ms  ae12-0.db3-96c-1b.ntwk.msn.net [204.152.141.73]

    I'm not allowed to get to your final destination but unless that DB3 thing is pure coincidence I think I may have serendipitously discovered how to know which Microsoft server cluster is involved.   <eg>

     would you like me to do another one with all tabs selected in procmon?

    Can you try doing it yourself based on the hints I gave?  The other files would not be available to anyone else and they are where the real information is.  ProcMon is just a guide and a way of supplementing what you find that way.   BTW I find the .PML format the most helpful one to save because it means you can change your filters and analyze old logs that way.  We can also open multiple logs each in separate windows.

    Good luck

    Robert


    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-01-04T16:44:58+00:00

    what i did was i ran netmon in safe mode with networking then restarted my computer to do a procmon in normal mode. in procmon i just found out that you can select things in the upper right corner, and they weren't all. would you like me to do another one with all tabs selected in procmon?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments