I don't think any of you are getting it. The problem Microsoft has caused with Windows-7 only is that the temp folders at C:\Windows\temp, & C:\user"user folder"\app data\local\temp, at some point completely takes on the entire empty size of the space on C:\ The drive shows a red line then and is 99% full until those two folders are emptied. Ive seen this now for two years on maybe ten computers that I service.
C-drive keeps filling up
Here's a problem that I haven't been able to resolve for the last two months. I've researched this problem on this forum and nothing been able to solve it yet. My work computer's c-drive keeps filling up to capacity. I have a 235 GB hard drive with very few programs loaded onto it and almost no picture or video files taking up space. The computer is hooked up to a network here where I work, but nobody else has this problem. Even if I'm able to free up several GB's of space, the c-drive will fill up in just a couple of days. I think I might have a virus. These are the measures I've tried to correct this issue:
- Ran Disk Cleanup which freed up about 2 GB's initially. After a couple of days, the c-drive filled back up again. Subsequently, running Disk Cleanup only free's up a few MB's now.
- Ran MalewareBytes, Eset online scanner, and Super-AntiSpyware programs to try to identify a virus, but neither of them can find anything other than cookies. I've also run these programs in Safe Mode.
- My Microsoft Security Essentials program had been removed, and I can't get it to re-install. I even tried several work-arounds listed on this forum to install it, but I still get error messages when installing.
- Tried the "Fix It" function
- Tried System Restore but apparently that's been disabled too since there are no restore points to be found
- Disabled the Hibernate function to free up several GB's, but the computer quickly filled-up within a couple of days.
- Disabled the Backup function.
- Deleted temp files from my user profile
- I also run into problems trying to install the security updates from the Windows Update function. I haven't been able to get the security updates to install for a couple of months now.
Anything thing I do that free's up space will only work temporarily. The c-drive will continue to fill up in a matter of minutes or hours even if I'm away from my computer during that time.
The strangest part is that if I right-click on the c-drive in My Computer, it will show that the 232 GB hard-drive is nearly or completely full (0 bytes). If I open the c-drive, select all the files and folders in it and right-click, it only shows about 51 GB's of storage space used. This does affect my computer greatly when trying to save or print even small files that only take up a few KB's. Is there any other fix that I haven't tried yet?
I ran the WinDirStat utility but that doesn't show me anything other than the 51 GB's taking up storage space. Also, my hard-drive is not partitioned.
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
51 answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Anonymous
2018-07-27T14:50:01+00:00 -
Anonymous
2018-07-27T10:10:43+00:00 Thank you very much!!!The system protection part helped!Got rid of 39 Gbs of crap!!
-
Anonymous
2018-06-25T11:37:03+00:00 That looks more like an issue caused BY paranoia rather than a cause OF paranoia
Because A are they and B does it matter?
-
Anonymous
2018-06-24T23:47:19+00:00 I'm paranoid because MS is in bed with the government. Problem is solved. APACHE.
-
LemP 74,985 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2018-06-24T01:39:46+00:00 @BillyRobinson1
There are a variety of reasons that hard drives fill up.
In your case, you probably are suffering from the known bug described here:
If you have difficulty with stopping the Windows Modules Installer service, read through all of the posts here (not just the one checked as the "Answer") https://superuser.com/questions/803842/why-is-cbs-log-file-size-20-gb
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't a bug.