One Drive File: .849C9593-D756-4E56-8D6E-42412F2A707B

Anonymous
2015-05-23T16:41:52+00:00

I see that several others have a file with exactly the same name in One Drive.  Surely this is no coincidence.  Since it's a hidden file, how many other have it and don't even know it?    

So, what is the story?  What's the file?

It's more interesting if you look at previous versions under properties. 

Love to see some ideas, guesses, suggestions etc.  

Do you have the hidden file ".849C9593-D756-4E56-8D6E-42412F2A707B" in your One Drive too?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-04-13T08:35:44+00:00

    Thanks Paul. Yours is the first response I've understood! My pc doesn't appear to have been infected or affected, but I'm super cautious these days after having fallen for a very clever scam 16 months ago, which has resulted in me receiving a multitude of ****-mail.

    If anyone sees teeth whitening ads from Spark Whitening or Bella At Home, DO NOT be tempted! The small print allows each of them to charge about £90 a month from your bank a/c, & to use your email address for whatever purpose they like.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-04-13T22:02:15+00:00

    I've looked into this and as far as I can see, it is akin to a profile address to enable sending of files to and from another drive. Think of it as a transfer protocol or a passport bewtween your PC and their PC, a bit like shaking hands and knowing each other, all perfectly legit.

    I think its acts like a backup drive folder too and stores the transfer details ready for transmission.

    Its not needed until you sync again and the whole process begins afresh.

    Something as obvious as this would be picked up by MS and any Malware software anyway but I can see your fear as it is so easy to download harmful stuff these days, still, better safe than sorry.

    At least you are observant enough to catch things like this, which is a good skill to have.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-04-13T22:16:29+00:00

    Hi Guylesire.

    This particular file may not be a file as such but a shortcut to an address in the registry where the details for the transfer of files are kept, a more secure way of keeping tabs on what is sent and received.

    In this case it is not possible to copy and paste it as it is only a shortcut if you like.

    I've uninstalled onedrive since they are reducing the storage capacity so I can't test my theory, but something in the back of my mind from windows 98 did the same thing when trying to copy/paste a reg directory.

    The file if I remember has a HAT prefix which is not shown, not sure where I saw this now, but that reminds me of a secure file that doesnt like to be copied as well.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-04-14T19:09:20+00:00

    Thanks for your developped answers.

    Please notice that properties count issue is new with Windows10.

    Best regards

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2016-04-28T07:16:09+00:00

    Guylesire,

    I understand your viewpoint and what is bothering you. However, the count is never really that reliable depending on how you are counting the files (the actual method like "Select all") and the manner in each the files are hidden. Just because it is counted doesn't mean that it is necessarily a user file. For example, your AppData folder in C:\User[YourAccount]\ is super super super super important and is basically as important as the programs folder but still resides in the user folder. This is because the AppData folder, which is hidden but not hidden to a systems folder level such as desktop files, stores all application data relevant to your account and is essential for the link between your account and your applications and how they run. Yet you can easily see it if you choose to see hidden files.

    This is because users (that know what they are doing) need relatively easy access to this folder.

    One way or another you can't really trust file count nor is it a very important metric really. For example, on my latitude 7350, I have 4131 pictures in my camera roll folder while my phone only registers 4101. Obviously I must've taken some pictures with the pc that I didn't with the phone. However, my tablet which is synced with OneDrive as well registers a slightly different number from both. At the end of the day, I assure you OneDrive works well as long as you are not one of the unlucky ones that end up with constant OneDrive crashes, non-stop processing/syncing, or some other error. If your OneDrive stops with a green check in all the folders and the app itself you should be just fine.

    At the very worst, you can go to OneDrive online and check out the recycle bin occasionally to make sure nothing slipped through on accident. The website will keep a record of anything that disappeared from the scope of the OneDrive app in the recycle bin just to be safe.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments