One Drive File: .849C9593-D756-4E56-8D6E-42412F2A707B

Anonymous
2015-05-23T16:41:52+00:00

I see that several others have a file with exactly the same name in One Drive.  Surely this is no coincidence.  Since it's a hidden file, how many other have it and don't even know it?    

So, what is the story?  What's the file?

It's more interesting if you look at previous versions under properties. 

Love to see some ideas, guesses, suggestions etc.  

Do you have the hidden file ".849C9593-D756-4E56-8D6E-42412F2A707B" in your One Drive too?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-04-13T22:16:29+00:00

    Hi Guylesire.

    This particular file may not be a file as such but a shortcut to an address in the registry where the details for the transfer of files are kept, a more secure way of keeping tabs on what is sent and received.

    In this case it is not possible to copy and paste it as it is only a shortcut if you like.

    I've uninstalled onedrive since they are reducing the storage capacity so I can't test my theory, but something in the back of my mind from windows 98 did the same thing when trying to copy/paste a reg directory.

    The file if I remember has a HAT prefix which is not shown, not sure where I saw this now, but that reminds me of a secure file that doesnt like to be copied as well.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-04-13T22:02:15+00:00

    I've looked into this and as far as I can see, it is akin to a profile address to enable sending of files to and from another drive. Think of it as a transfer protocol or a passport bewtween your PC and their PC, a bit like shaking hands and knowing each other, all perfectly legit.

    I think its acts like a backup drive folder too and stores the transfer details ready for transmission.

    Its not needed until you sync again and the whole process begins afresh.

    Something as obvious as this would be picked up by MS and any Malware software anyway but I can see your fear as it is so easy to download harmful stuff these days, still, better safe than sorry.

    At least you are observant enough to catch things like this, which is a good skill to have.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-04-13T08:35:44+00:00

    Thanks Paul. Yours is the first response I've understood! My pc doesn't appear to have been infected or affected, but I'm super cautious these days after having fallen for a very clever scam 16 months ago, which has resulted in me receiving a multitude of ****-mail.

    If anyone sees teeth whitening ads from Spark Whitening or Bella At Home, DO NOT be tempted! The small print allows each of them to charge about £90 a month from your bank a/c, & to use your email address for whatever purpose they like.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-04-13T08:30:26+00:00

    Hi

    My final concern is that this specific hidden file is incorrectly counted by Microsoft as a customer file in the OneDrive directory properties.

    In the facts the situation is :

    Ie. : C:/user/Onedrive properties reports, 2345 records. In reality this is the sum of 2344 user files +this hidden file !!!

    If you dont know of this

    and you make copy/paste of the OneDrive directory to a USB key,

    and you see that the USB properties reports 2344 files only ,

    you may spend time to check why there is a difference of 1 unit (this mades me discover why)

    Hopefully the hidden is not copied.

    Being cartesian, if i copy a directory that the properties said it contains 2345 files, i should normally recover 2345 files copied and not 2344 files.

    Is there a way to submit this to Microsoft?

    Best regards

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2016-04-12T19:01:59+00:00

    If you exit onedrive the file disappears from the folder, load onedrive up again and it re-appears. It can't be that bad unless its hanging the sync, but I can't see how.

    It does takes ages to process changes so be patient if you delete or add files for syncing.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments