One Drive File: .849C9593-D756-4E56-8D6E-42412F2A707B

Anonymous
2015-05-23T16:41:52+00:00

I see that several others have a file with exactly the same name in One Drive.  Surely this is no coincidence.  Since it's a hidden file, how many other have it and don't even know it?    

So, what is the story?  What's the file?

It's more interesting if you look at previous versions under properties. 

Love to see some ideas, guesses, suggestions etc.  

Do you have the hidden file ".849C9593-D756-4E56-8D6E-42412F2A707B" in your One Drive too?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-10-31T18:49:43+00:00

    In order to solve this issue please proceed as follows:

    > Press WinKey + R to launch Run dialog

    > Type "control folders" and hit [ENTER]

    > Click the View Tab

    > Under Files and Folders check following setting

    "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)"  shoud be CHECKED

    (Meaning it's recomendend to HIDE)

    > Click Apply or OK

    The file will not be visible anymore because it is indeed an operating system file.

    Regards

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-05-25T15:02:54+00:00

    I think I know what is this file.

    It comes up with Onedrive ,and deleted after close onedrive.

    It should be a file to mark the onedrive folder,or help to synchronize. It is harmless.

    If you don't want see it in your folder,

    1. close onedrive
    2. Created a .txt file
    3. use cmd  -rename it to  .849C9593-D756-4E56-8D6E-42412F2A707B 
    4. use cmd  -transfer it to System Files and hide it

    5. attributes-security-advanced-disable inheritance, so no user can change or delete it except yourself.

    It won't change itself althought it will stay in your folder until you remember it..........

    Sorry for my poor English XD

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-04-28T10:08:25+00:00

    Hello

    I suggest we stop here on a mutual understanding.

    I can live with that (because i know the explanation of this count error)

    I just wanted to highlight the issue

    Nevertheless, i would add some comments, if you have the time to read it

    I am more and more confident on OneDrive but I must say I already faced vey big issues with OneDrive, especially at the beginning.

    The initial reason why i made copies.

    I must confess I see big improvement on OneDrive management.

    Please notice

    • I share my files between 5 machines using OneDrive .
    • Very often I am in an environment w/o internet, the reason why i do copies to continue to use my files. I am travelling a lot.

    ie. my tablet PC has 30GB of total memory, and access to those files requires internet.

    The way you use your machines is not the way I use mines since PC exist.

    Nb: My background is informatics engineer in 1970 working for Burroughs/Unisys on very large systems at the beginning.

    In addition, Windows10 environment is not secured at this time and I recommend to save regularly what you do.

    Program “not responding” are permanent while it is going better and better with Windows updates;

    ie, 2 days ago, Excel crashed completely and the file I was working on disappeared completely from my directories … and I was lucky to recover my file due to my settings and experience  … and OneDrive on-line was still showing the old version !!!

    Windows10 reminds me Windows95 when we were forced to save our files quite every minutes !!!

    In addition to the error count is new since Windows10, when I do copy/paste of this directory.

    Ii face always the same error because of that hidden file “in use” and have to respond ignore at the last end of the copy/paste  … which is somewhere normal because OneDrive is in use as soon as you start the PC.

    Best regards

    and thanks for your involvement and the time you spend

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-04-28T07:16:09+00:00

    Guylesire,

    I understand your viewpoint and what is bothering you. However, the count is never really that reliable depending on how you are counting the files (the actual method like "Select all") and the manner in each the files are hidden. Just because it is counted doesn't mean that it is necessarily a user file. For example, your AppData folder in C:\User[YourAccount]\ is super super super super important and is basically as important as the programs folder but still resides in the user folder. This is because the AppData folder, which is hidden but not hidden to a systems folder level such as desktop files, stores all application data relevant to your account and is essential for the link between your account and your applications and how they run. Yet you can easily see it if you choose to see hidden files.

    This is because users (that know what they are doing) need relatively easy access to this folder.

    One way or another you can't really trust file count nor is it a very important metric really. For example, on my latitude 7350, I have 4131 pictures in my camera roll folder while my phone only registers 4101. Obviously I must've taken some pictures with the pc that I didn't with the phone. However, my tablet which is synced with OneDrive as well registers a slightly different number from both. At the end of the day, I assure you OneDrive works well as long as you are not one of the unlucky ones that end up with constant OneDrive crashes, non-stop processing/syncing, or some other error. If your OneDrive stops with a green check in all the folders and the app itself you should be just fine.

    At the very worst, you can go to OneDrive online and check out the recycle bin occasionally to make sure nothing slipped through on accident. The website will keep a record of anything that disappeared from the scope of the OneDrive app in the recycle bin just to be safe.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2016-04-14T19:09:20+00:00

    Thanks for your developped answers.

    Please notice that properties count issue is new with Windows10.

    Best regards

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments