thanks for the info, I have had W10 for some time and was frustrated at having to manually scan for the above reason (I only turn my laptop on to use it not to leave it idle). I hope I have now set up a scheduled scan but it would have been a whole lot easier
if Defender had the option in its settings as it had under previous Windows versions. It seems unnecessarily complicated to have to go to the Task Scheduler (which I was not aware of) to create a setting that could and should have remained an option in Defender.
I’m aware that Automatic Maintenance can be a problem for laptops. So I’ve provided two workarounds that can be used to schedule a conventional scan without having to walk through the
Create Basic Task Wizard:
1.) You can “schedule” a scan with a startup shortcut
that loads the Defender icon and also runs a Quick Scan at startup:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect\_defender-protect\_start/is-windows-defender-icon-supposed-to-be-in-system/6cfa9d1d-3db8-49a9-add7-280a284ccfdc
2.) You can create the task automatically with
SchTasks.exe, and then make any desired changes after the task is created: Right-click on the
Start button and select
Command Prompt (Admin). Then copy, paste, and run the appropriate command line:
Windows Defender Quick Scan that runs daily:
SchTasks /create /sc DAILY /tn “Defender Quick Scan” /st 19:00 /ru SYSTEM /rl HIGHEST /tr "'C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MpCmdRun.exe' -Scan -ScanType 1"
Windows Defender Logon Scan (Quick Scan) with 2 minute delay:
SchTasks /create /sc ONLOGON /delay 0002:00 /tn “Defender Delayed Logon Scan” /ru SYSTEM /rl HIGHEST /tr "'C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MpCmdRun.exe' -Scan -ScanType
1"
Windows Defender Full Scan that runs weekly:
SchTasks /create /sc WEEKLY /tn “Defender Full Scan” /st 19:00 /ru SYSTEM /rl HIGHEST /tr "'C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MpCmdRun.exe' -Scan -ScanType 2"
You can modify the scheduled start time (/st 19:00) either before running the command line, or in the
Task Scheduler Library after the task is created. This scan should be set to start at a time when the PC will normally be in use, since it won’t run when the PC is sleeping; and won't run on restart when a
scheduled start is missed. If you want a more reliable scan, then you’ll have to add these features. You would check the
Wake the computer to run this task box (Conditions tab), and the
Run task as soon as possible after a scheduled start is missed box (Settings tab).
Note that you might have to turn off
Require a password on wakeup in
Power Options and/or enable
wake timers in Power Options
> Change when the computer sleeps >
Change advanced power settings.
Also be advised that if you want your scheduled scans to run at full speed, then you’ll have to run this command at the elevated
PowerShell prompt:
Set-MpPreference -ScanAvgCPULoadFactor 100
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect\_defender-protect\_scanning/processor-speed-100/7306888a-9b1d-451c-b7c2-7e6e5e79b245
GreginMich