Page fault in nonpaged area and Memory management BSOD on startup

Anonymous
2014-12-14T21:15:50+00:00

I have been getting crashes in the last month after the first program opens following startup. The error is most often PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA and sometimes MEMORY_MANAGEMENT. The issue usually does not happen twice in a row. That is, when the computer restarts after crashing, it normally runs smoothly until I shut it down again. 

Running memtest for several hours came up clean. chkdsk did not appear to solve anything or reveal any problems. Windows is up to date. 

Link to minidump files:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=D7F4A227A3E09142!112&authkey=!AOijjiTwDLK33ag&ithint=folder%2c

This custom built machine is approx 1.5 years old, problems began 1 month ago. 

EDIT: Crashes just started during "normal" operation instead of simply on startup.

New minidump file: 

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=D7F4A227A3E09142!113&authkey=!AJTkM1bofGDZSYk&ithint=file%2czip

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-01-02T05:56:35+00:00

Please run driver verifier (DV) per the instructions in the link below.

Note: Make sure to read and remember the steps to reset DV in the event of a crash, and post a link to the newly generated crash dump here.

Driver Verifier-- tracking down a mis-behaving driver. Created by ZigZag3143, Co.authored by by JMH3143

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_other-system/driver-verifier-tracking-down-a-mis-behaving/f5cb4faf-556b-4b6d-95b3-c48669e4c98

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-01-11T23:59:35+00:00

    At this point you should strongly consider returning the ram modules for replacement. The crashing  with different modules flagged as the culprit, suggests to me that there is something amiss with your hardware, that may not necessarily be detected by a memtest.

    Currently, you have one it seems, 4gb Crucial Ballistix memory module installed. You can check the warranty status here: http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/company-warranty

    Online RMA Form

    http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/returns

    I have two sticks of 4GB each Crucial Ballistix RAM. 

    Is there any way to be certain that I need to RMA my RAM? That would take my computer out of commision for a while and I'm very reliant on it for university.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-01-10T13:45:22+00:00

    At this point you should strongly consider returning the ram modules for replacement. The crashing  with different modules flagged as the culprit, suggests to me that there is something amiss with your hardware, that may not necessarily be detected by a memtest.

    Currently, you have one it seems, 4gb Crucial Ballistix memory module installed. You can check the warranty status here: http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/company-warranty

    Online RMA Form

    http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/returns

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-01-10T12:47:40+00:00

    FWIW I got the same answer:

    https://www.atheros.cz/atheros-wireless-download.php?chipset=38&system=6

    Trying another approach I stalled here:

    http://www.tp-link.com/lk/products/?categoryid=212

    Which model do you have?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-01-09T04:22:18+00:00

    Oh, I remember installing that program. A light ISO mounter. 

    I just downloaded a Memtest ISO to test, and it doesn't appear to be working anymore. 

    No idea why that would cause the entire rig to crash, though. 

    I uninstalled it and deleted the associated driver using Autoruns.

    Will report back if crashes continue. 

    Would it be prudent to continue running driver verifier to weed out problematic drivers?

    EDIT: Just ran Driver Verifier again, was able to use my system normally for about 10 mins, then "athrx.sys" caused a Driver_IRQL_Not_Less_Or_Equal, a google search shows that the best solution is an update. 

    I've noticed a pattern that I'd like to explain. Here is my daily computer use experience:

    1. Boot up computer after it has been off all night.
    2. Experience BSOD 1-5 minutes after reaching desktop.
    3. Boot up computer, and use computer normally for several hours no problem. I get a crash here on rare occasions.
    4. Leave computer idle for some length of time.
    5. Wake up computer from sleep mode and notice that it had crashed and recovered at some point.
    6. Everything keeps running perfectly.
    7. Turn computer off for the night.

    I'm not sure if this helps, but I thought I was better off being specific. 

    EDIT: Updated athrx.sys from v8.0.0.376 to v10.0.0.297

    Also sincerely hoping I installed the correct driver. There were a lot of options. 

    Used Atheros site: Atheros Wireless Drivers

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments