August 2015 Windows Update for Vista Requires One Hour to Run to Completion

Anonymous
2015-08-18T14:12:50+00:00

Is Microsoft throttling bandwidth for users running Windows Update on Vista machines to give a higher priority to Win 10 users?

I've run multiple Windows Updates since Patch Tuesday on 11-Aug-2015 and couldn't get them to run to completion on my 32-bit Vista machine until 16-Aug-2015.  There were no errors - it just reported that it was checking for updates and never finished, even if I let it run for over an hour.  Process Explorer showed svchost.exe constantly consuming ~50% of my CPU (i.e., complete saturation of one of my Intel Duo cores) and that a thread for the Windows Update service (wuauserv) was responsible for all that CPU activity.

I assumed that my Windows Update service was corrupted but after reading posts by other Vista users having the same problem (see ScousaJay's post *Windows Update Just Seems to Hang While Checking* in the Windows VistaForums for one example) I tried a manual update again on 16-Aug-2015.  Windows Update finally ran to completion and offered 17 important updates and one optional update for Silverlight but it took approx. 35 min before it reported that updates were available and the entire process, including the downloads, installs and monthly Malicious Software Removal scan, took almost a full hour.  A typical Patch Tuesday normally takes about 10 min on my machine from start to finish.

Here's what the CPU consumption looked like for my successful Windows Update of 16-Aug-2015, with the "Checking for updates..." phase running between the 70 and 35 min marks and re-start to complete the installation around the 15 min mark.


32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox 40.0.2 * IE9 * NIS 2014 v. 21.7.0.11

HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-06-04T00:54:31+00:00

    I would like to know if any affected Win 7 or Vista user has found a solution for these "Checking for updates..." hangs that works better than Dalai's temporary workaround...

    Here's one: After doing a clean install of Windows, download/run the Norton Removal Tool and/or the McAfee Consumer Removal Tool (depending on which free-trial came OEM-preinstalled on the computer when you bought it) & reboot BEFORE installing your new anti-virus application - including MSE - AND BEFORE attempting to install ANY updates (whether manually or via Windows Update).

    Tip => You'll need to upgrade to IE11 (Win7) or IE9 (Vista) manually, too. Win7 users will also need to install the Apr-15 Servicing Stack update and the latest Windows Update Client manually.

    Tip => Before creating an image, make sure there are no Norton or McAfee "leftovers" present on the system.

    I would also like to know if Microsoft is investigating these slow Windows Updates and whether this problem could be mitigated (or even permanently fixed) if Microsoft released an updated WUA for Vista to improve memory usage on computers with limited amounts of RAM and/or expired outdated updates...

    With Extended Support (and updates) for Vista ending on 11 April 2017, I wouldn't hold my breath IIWY.

    
    You may obtain *Microsoft-sponsored* (but not necessarily free) support via the Answer Desk =>
    [http://answerdesk.microsoftstore.com](http://answerdesk.microsoftstore.com)
    
    ====================================================  
    
    DISCLAIMER: Posted AS IS with no guarantees. MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft.
    

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-06-04T07:25:16+00:00

    Your observations fit pretty much identically to mine. August updates last year when the problem hit. Svchost running at full whack.......

    Bear...

    My Vista install (32bit 2Gb RAM) was clean. The install disc was used to take the HDD down to unallocated space. My disc images included a 'just Vista plus SP1 and SP2 + updates to 2013 ' image. It is all broken.

    Vista may be close to end of all support but that doesn't mean MS should leave it in a non-functional state. They must know about the issue, and I can only surmise that the reason for not applying a fix at this late stage is simply to drive more sales of W10 equipment. It would be better to end support now (although that would be outside the terms of the lifecycle) and for them to disable WU.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-06-04T12:06:09+00:00

    Some folk say this is indirectly squeezing people in the direction of a Windows 10 system update. I say, don't bother. Windows 10 brings with it many other problems. Just go elsewhere (Linux, Chrome or whatever). I've never been a Google fan but I bought a lower-end Chromebook to try out as an extra system (in a sale for £150) and hey, what speed! Granted there isn't the same versatility with programs etc but that all depends on your personal usage and preferences. It starts up and shuts down with ease and updates are a breeze. If you need a DVD/CD burner, some free or hooky programs then it's not for you, but it is well worth a try as a back-up machine for instant, free access to many things.

    I've just about had enough with M/S and its lack of response to problem solving, slow loading/shut down and update problems - that's with both Vista Desktop and a W10 Laptop (of which I appear to have very little personal control). I just wish M/S could be big enough to admit to their mistakes and were able to rekindle lost customer satisfaction. When asked to simplify things for the end user their statute answer is to over-automate everything, taking away personal control. Too much automation (W10) takes away user choice - give it back to those who pay for the privilege!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-06-06T05:36:04+00:00

    I really appreciate everyone's input on this matter and I will get back to more of my own substantive input about the Vista problem, but I have an issue with Microsoft that arose from something that took place in this thread and then spread to a few others and also some activity by me that made some people angry -- and that "issue" has taken center stage at this work station and with those that help me.

    But I didn't do anything wrong and can prove that and during all of the back-and-forth with Microsoft mamangement last week I finally figured out what needs to be done for not only this Microsoft Community, but many others where one particular issue is a very serious problem for the community members.

    I have decided to move a very important issue into the political arena, but I am afraid to post details here because I think there are some folks that would not like me to go any further.

    I have only explained what I have so far so that it is clear why my time cannot be fully devoted to this trouble with Vista for a couple of weeks.  If anyone wants to know more about that issue from last week and what is going to be happening, I think it isn't too hard for you to make contact with me.

    And once again, I really do appreciate all the input from everyone!  I suspect the OP concurs.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2016-06-15T19:02:10+00:00

    Further to my post of 16-May-2016, I can now confirm that the workaround posted on Dalai's webpage Search for Windows Updates takes forever? - A possible solution at http://wu.krelay.de/en/ solved my "Checking for updates..." hang.  I pre-installed the Win32K.sys update KB3161664 (MS16-073: Description of the security update for kernel mode drivers: June 14, 2016) before running a manual Windows update to install my June 2016 Patch Tuesday updates today, and "Checking for updates..." ran to completion in 20 min (compared with 5 - 6 hours for my Apr 2016 and May 2016 Patch Tuesday updates).  My entire Windows Update session finished in about 40 min.  Here's what the CPU consumption looked like for my June 2016 Patch Tuesday Windows Update with KB3161664 pre-installed, with:

    • "Checking for updates..." running for 20 min between the 60 and 40 min marks
    • Download and installation of 10 important updates between the 40 and 20 min marks (this month's Malicious Software Removal Tool scan ran for the last 8 mins of the installation phase)
    • Re-boot to finish installation (dark grey band) around the 15 min mark

    KB3161664 was the only Windows kernel-mode driver (Win32k.sys) update missing on my system from Dalai's list of recommended updates since my Vista SP2 system was fully patched as of May 2016.  If you have a Win 7 SP1 or Vista SP2 OS that has not been updated for several months or have difficulty following Dalai's instructions at http://wu.krelay.de/en/ I've posted step-by-step instructions in m#l's thread Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours that should be easier to follow.  As of June 2016 there are currently five Win32k.sys updates listed on Dalai's webpage [KB3078601 (18-Aug-2015); KB3087039 (08-Sep-2015); KB3109094 (07-Dec-2015); KB3145739 (12-Apr-2016); KB3161664 (14-Jun-2016)] that must be pre-installed before you run Windows Update if any are missing on your system.

    These "Checking for updates..." hangs on Patch Tuesdays are clearly a widespread problem for many Win 7 SP1 and Vista SP2, and the hangs on my system started in Aug 2015, the month after Windows 10 was officially released on 29-Jul-2015.  Microsoft has shown no interest in fixing the problem [e.g., releasing an update for Vista's Windows Update Agent v7.6.7600.256 (wuaueng.dll) that was last updated in June 2012] so I'll continue monitoring Dalai's webpage each month to see if a new Win32K.sys update is added to his list of recommended updates before I run any future Patch Tuesday updates.

    As OP of this thread I apparently can't mark one of my own posts as the possible solution, but I now consider this thread as Solved.  


    32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v47.0 * IE9 * NIS v21.7.0.11

    HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments