Stop Windows 8.1 automatically updating the Intel HD Graphics 4000 driver
http://superuser.com/questions/909184/stop-windows-8-1-automatically-updating-the-intel-hd-graphics-4000-driver
See also, "Phantom of the Mobile", replied on June 29, 2015, in this post.
Linney,
I believe this is the post you are referring to from:
Windows 8.1 update fails.
I know this issue has been quite confusing for all concerned, its OKAY. I brought it over here too:
Phantom of the Mobile replied on June
29, 2015
In reply to NVFOX's post on June 28, 2015
Hi,
I thought since you have a MS Engineer involved you would get this advice BEFORE Clean Install BUT I was WRONG!!!
W 8.1 Pro(I have never used home) has many advantages and tools under the hood that are not available or as advanced as in 8.1:
sfc /scannow
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
I use Powershell (ADMINISTRATOR) but CMD prompt (ADMINISTRATOR) will work as well. Run these 2 alternately several times. Between the 2 of them they will do wonders in cleaning up your W 8.1 Image.
I use SpinRite by Steve Gibson but MS CHKDSK also works to checkout a problem disks.
Do a /? or -? or PS Get-Help 'Command' -full to get detail info about how to use these 'Commands'
Additional:
In conjunction with MS Cleandisk use the following when you have your Image clean:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /AnalyzeComponentStore
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
To easily get into "Safe Mode" set up a Boot Manager so you get a boot request at Logon. I use EasyBCD by NEOSmart Technologies which is free for personal use. UFEI is another matter which I don't use but there is a Boot Manager Setup app for it too.
Once you have your boot request at logon, you can do F8 to access the default Image tool list.
Another way in EasyBCD to access Safe Mode alone:
Advanced Settings>"Change ADD Name to" Name of your Safe mode>Advanced>Safe Mode=safe mode> leave the rest default unless you KNOW!
You could set none signed drivers if you want.
As far as Recovery is concerned:
I do setup MS Recovery manually but is is involved. You do need an ISO as well. The latest W 8.1 ISO MS released was released in November which includes the last massive rollup. This is why I version: W 8.1.3 Pro. It is important to search for this and download
it.
Mostly I use 3rd Party Paragon Hard Disk Manager Profession(or Suite). There is a free version that I used a long time until I wanted the more advanced features.
I take regular Image backups of my OS disk which can recover me back to the best working Image, in a more reliable way. I keep 2 or 3 available.
I hope you see this before you do a Clean Install.
All the best,
Crysta
PS. For Security I only use MS "Windows Defender"(Security Essentials in W 7). It just saves a huge amount problems over all with everything going through an MS FireWall (only as well). All these Security App tests you see, are for Marketing & Sales purposes
only, not your over all well being(even the independent? ones?). On top of that there is allot of snake oil and voodoo in the various test suites to Market & sell them. In short you are getting marketed to death, AND NOT NECESSARILY SECURE!
Hope this helps others Linney, :D
Best Regards,
Happy 4th of July, We celebrated Canada Day yesterday on July 1,
Crysta