Microphone auto muting and the levels go down to zero

Anonymous
2014-11-04T03:18:40+00:00

Hello all.

I have come upon a recent issue with my computer. My microphone automutes itself , and the levels go down to zero as well. Even if I manually adjust levels to 100 and unmute it resets and automutes again after a short time ( less than a minute ). I have not updated drivers but I cannot see them being the issue because I had zero issues yesterday why would the problem begin today I did not update or install any new programs. I have tried another mic plugged in through the standard jack and it does the same thing. My mic is a logitech webcam USB. Any suggestions? I cant seem to find any solutions on the web other than the obvious " Oh unmute it" .

I feel this is a windows 7 issue and this is why I have come here.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-10-13T19:08:30+00:00

Hey, 

I made a video on how to fix this issue. 

You can watch the video here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4xQMlZEyr0

Hope that it helps!

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

50 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-03-23T03:54:56+00:00

    I tried all the steps and the microphone still auto mutes within seconds. please help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-03-25T14:57:06+00:00

    I am sorry Vijay B; and I don't mean this to be disrespectful, but you almost always give us steps that are totally worthless.

    The "automuting of the mic". is NOT due to your "assumed" causes.

    It has NOTHING to do with microphones, internal or external. It does not matter whether (on a laptop)  the external mic is plugged in or not. It does NOT matter how you program it in "sound", or your sound software.. It is NOT caused by drivers afore or aft, etc, It still happens each time, after you enable the mic, in just moments.

    It is NOT programming either, period!

    It probably is a glitch in a Microsoft update, as usual. Jesus only knows which one. You apparently have NOT seen it or a clue what to do about it.

    I wish you would stop treating us as novices; who do not even know how to turn on our PC's. For you always resort to wasteful steps; that have NO bearing on our problems. I have seen you do this many times. I have NO recall of your remedies ever solving a single problem; although you may have. I sincerely hope you have, but I have NEVER seen it. All you do is give a list of steps that MOST have already done before they go to MS. Oh indeed yes!

    This "automuting of the mic" IS a relatively new MS problem., that THEY have caused.  Oh indeed YES! Many of us have experienced this travesty just all of a sudden. Bam it is there!. Google it and you will see how many foolish "cures" many have for it. They do not work! It is MS problem for sure. They alone can fix it I am sure.

    So unless you KNOW for sure how to fix it, please don't comment on it. For you do more harm than good  when you give "off the top of one's head" worthless fixes!

    The author of this thread, NAILED the problem. MANY Of us are having this problem all of a sudden. One of these days, someone in MS, will FIND out how to cure it. For that always happens sooner or later. By that time NO body is listening to your worthless cures.

    I chuckle every time I see the ridiculous number of those who say you have "solved my problems". Would not surprise me one iota if those are fake numbers, where you somehow managed to juggle the totals. Oh indeed yes. It has been done many times in the wicked "corporate" world. Oh yes it has!

    Again, IF you do not know for sure and certain, what the cure is, please simply stay out of trying to "dazzle us with footwork". It truly becomes silly after a while. Oh indeed yes!

    Damn it!

    Note: I  am scared to d e a t h to attempt the author's (TechRaj) cure, because it may be a scam; and may damage my computer. It has happened before. Oh indeed Yes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-04-11T03:32:50+00:00

    IT doesnt work techRaj... There are like 15 to 20 svchost.exe files and they are recreating while deleting them and sometimes system encountering error and need to restart computer....

    I have tried your process multiple times but no use...

    Is this problem related to laptop or windows 10? I see it in dell audio tab so my version was issue in laptop s/w ...what is your version?

    Thank you in advance

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-04-11T04:19:33+00:00

    Hi Mohan,

    Since that you've posted to an old thread, we advise that you create a new thread regarding your concern. It would be helpful if you will include the troubleshooting steps that you've done and more information about the issue.

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments