Windows 7 update keeps installing the same 5 important updates. Can someone help?

Anonymous
2015-04-08T19:26:55+00:00

Sometimes I it says they installed successfully.  sometimes I get error code 9C48, or 0x80070057.   I ran sfc /scannow successfully as admin from dos window and have the CBS.log.  Can someone help?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-04-09T16:02:49+00:00

    Please provide a copy of your System Information file. Type System Information in the Search Box above the start Button and press the ENTER key (alternative is Select Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Information). Select File, Export and give the file a name noting where it is located. Do not place the cursor within the body of the report before exporting the file. The system creates a new System Information file each time system information is accessed. You need to allow a minute or two for the file to be fully populated before exporting a copy. Please upload the file to your OneDrive, share with everyone and post a link here. Reports in normal mode preferred. Please say if the report has been obtained in safe mode.

    Please upload and share with everyone copies of your System and Application logs from your Event Viewer to your OneDrive and post a link here.

    To access the System log select Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer, from the list in the left side of the window expand Windows Logs and select System. Place the cursor on System, select Action from the Menu and Save All Events as (the default evtx file type) and give the file a name. Do the same for the Applications log. Do not provide filtered files. Do not place the cursor in the list of reports before selecting Action from the menu. Do not clear logs whilst you have a continuing problem.

    For help with OneDrive see paragraph 9.3:

    http://www.gerryscomputertips.co.uk/MicrosoftCommunity1.htm

    General notes on Event Viewer

    http://www.gerryscomputertips.co.uk/syserrors5.htm

    The next time you need to Ask a Question start a new thread by clicking Participate towards the top of this page or the page accessed from the link below and click Ask a question on the drop down menu.

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us

    A suggestion if you are using Internet Explorer 9, 10 or 11.

    Access your profile. Make sure you have signed in. Click on All Threads, click on the Star towards the top right of the screen (you will need to press F11 to see it if you are reading Full Screen), click the scroll to the right of Add to Favourites and select Add to Favourites Bar. Edit the long name to something memorable and you can immediately access your threads from your Internet Explorer Home Page.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-04-09T22:19:28+00:00
    1. Did you (a) uninstall the McAfee Security Center AND THEN (b) download/run the McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool & reboot (c) BEFORE you installed Microsoft Security Essentials?
    2. The second line of text in IE11's Help | About [Alt+H+A] tab reads Upgrade Versions: 11.0.11 (KB2977629) yet neither KB2977629 nor Internet Explorer 11 is listed in Installed Updates, is that correct?

    1. Is Installed Updates totally blank/empty and if so, is...
    • Start | Control Panel | Pro grams and Features | Turn Windows features on or off <=this pane

    ...also blank/empty?

    1. Can you successfully upgrade to Flash Player v17.0.0.134 (or higher) by opening Internet Explorer ONLY to this page? => http://www.adobe.com/go/getflash
    • BEWARE any pre-checked options to "drive-by" install unwanted, third-party software (e.g., Google Toolbar; Google Chrome)!
    
    **IMPORTANT! =&gt; Your computer should NOT be connected to the internet or any local networks (i.e., other computers) in its current state. All of your personal data (e.g., online banking & credit-card passwords) should be considered at-risk, if not already compromised.**
    

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-04-09T23:22:26+00:00
    1. The McAfee trial version was pre-installed on my computer when I bought it. However, I chose not to go with McAfee and after many calls to their support and their working remotely to remove McAfee, it was removed. My issues with frequent Windows update began in March 2015; I was not experiencing any issues with them prior.
    2. In the history, installs are showing as successful most being Security Updates for Windows. There is no update relating to Internet Explorer 11.
    3. Installed Updates is not blank. It has many installs eg. M/S Office products, security updates, etc.
    4. I am able to install flash player upgrades via prompts to do same.

    Thanks for thinking about my issues.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-04-10T18:17:44+00:00
    1. I honestly cannot remember the exact sequence I performed to remove McAfee and install MSE.  If I had to guess I would quess that I would have tried to download and save the MSE.exe, THEN disable McAfee Security, (if possible) THEN install MSE and insure it was working THEN uninstall McAfee but I honestly cannot remember.
    2. This is correct.  The second line of text in IE11's Help | About [Alt+H+A] tab reads Upgrade Versions: 11.0.11 (KB2977629) yet neither KB2977629 nor Internet Explorer 11 is listed in Installed Updates.

    3.  No there ARE some entries listed.  "Installed Updates" lists "56 updates installed" at the bottom of its list.   52 of the 56 entries are listed under "Microsoft Office Professional 2010" .  The "Installed On"  dates for all 56 entries only range from 2/21/2014 to  3/12/2015.  Please note:  at one point I did try to Restore this PC to an earlier point in order to attempt to fix this Windows Update problem.

    4.  I was able to go to the Adobe website you list and saw Flash Player v17.0.0.134 and chose download.  I got a message at the bottom of the IE page saying " flashplayer17ax_install.exe couldn't be downloaded" I hit the Retry option and it continued to finish the download successfully.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-04-10T19:14:23+00:00

    This is a question and a response to the thread between PVISME and PABEAR.

    I am having the same problem with the updates too.

    KB21952, KB32359, KB04375 and KB31432

    I've read the dialogue between PVISME and PABEAR's responses and want to add my responses to some of the questions asked...

    My OS is Windows 7 and I purchased the computer in the fall of 2012.

    I have the most recent versions of Adobe Flash, Java, and Internet Explorer (V. 11.0.9600.16428) installed. (checked online today for each)

    IE was installed on 11/12/2013 according to installed updates ....the above listed updates don't seem to appear in the list of installed updates.

    These two updates came in again this morning and I selected and installed them again.

    Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB3004375) and Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB3031432)

    While downloading the updater said that the total file size for the 2 updates was 23.0 MB, however, when preparing to install it read something like 4.0 MB to install. (??)

    I do not have Microsoft Security Essentials installed. Windows 7 was pre-installed. I run Norton 360 and do use Registry Cleanup periodically, also run MalwareBytes too. (Redundant I know)... no other Anti-Malware was preinstalled as a trial program. I also perform the cleanup system files feature too.

    I haven't had a problem in the past with updates from Microsoft ... just with these four newer ones (been happening since 3/11/15).

    I did run Microsoft's Fixit and no problems were found. Also ran performance and maintenance checks with no problems found.

    Norton 360 and Malwarebytes both had updates after March 11th - don't really believe that either is the problem.

    I don't know if I'm asking a question or making a statement here... I do know that my problem isn't unique to my computer as others seem to be having the same problem.

    Thanks for any suggestions or help. Maybe a patch from Microsoft is needed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments