Windows 7 update keeps installing the same 5 important updates. Can someone help?

Anonymous
2015-04-08T19:26:55+00:00

Sometimes I it says they installed successfully.  sometimes I get error code 9C48, or 0x80070057.   I ran sfc /scannow successfully as admin from dos window and have the CBS.log.  Can someone help?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-04-09T11:11:34+00:00

    1a. 11/13/2011

    1b. pre-installed

    2a. I believe I choose to install

    2b. 11/24/2011

    2c. 4.7.205.0

    2d. 1.1.11502.0 & 1.195.2370.0

    3.  I assume I used the 30-day free trial McAfee Security Center..  I did not buy additional time.  I am not certain but assume I disabled or uninstalled before installing MSE.

    4a. the computer came with a 30-day trial version of McAfee Security Center

    4b. the computer was protected from viruses thanks to a 30-day trial version of McAfee Security Center.

    5a. None installed

    5b. Not installed

    5c. Never as far as I know

    1. Version 8 update 31, just now updated Version 8 update 40
    2. Version16.0.0.305

    8a. Not listed in Installed Updates

    8b. Firefox and Chrome both (town email provider required one of these)

    1. No

    I am doing my best to answer.  Sorry, memory may not be %100.  5yrs is a long time in "computer years".

    Thank you for your help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-04-09T01:04:57+00:00

    We'll need to do a little "digging" here. Please answer each of the following[admittedly tedious] diagnostic questions in a correspondingly-numbered list in your very next reply - preferably without quoting my post:

    1a. When (approx. date) did you purchase the computer?

    1b. Did Win7 (64-bit) come preinstalled on the computer when you bought it, did you do a clean install of Win7, or did you upgrade from Vista to Win7?

    2a. Was Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) originally offered & installed via Windows Update or did you intentionally choose to install it?

    2b. In Windows Explorer [WinKey+E], navigate to & right-click on

            • **C:\Program Files**Microsoft Security Client <=this folder

    Select Properties: What is the Created date displayed on the resulting General tab?

    2c. What ANTIMALWARE CLIENT version is currently installed? To find out, open MSE & click on the downward-pointing arrow to the right of HELP then select ABOUT SECURITY ESSENTIALS.

    2d. What ENGINE & DEFINITIONS versions?

    1. What anti-virus application was installed before you installed MSE, was your subscription still current, and did you uninstall it before you installed MSE?

    4a. Has a(nother) Norton application or a McAfee application EVER been installed on the computer since you bought it?

    4b. Did a Norton free-trial or a McAfee free-trial [PICK ONE] come preinstalled on the computer when you bought it? (Doesn't matter if you never used or Activated it.)

    5a. Is KB3030377, KB3032323, KB3034344, KB3035126, KB3035132, KB3039066, KB3033889, KB3046049 and/or KB3023562 listed in Installed Updates (not Update History)? [1]

    5b. When (exact date) was KB2977629 installed according to Installed Updates(not Update History)?

    5c. When (if ever) did you last run Disk Cleanup with the Windows Update Cleanup option enabled?

    1. *Assuming Java is installed =>*Is Java Version 8 Update 40 (or higher) or Java Version 7 Update 75 (or higher) installed? TEST HERE USING INTERNET EXPLORER ONLY! => http://java.com/en/download/uninstallapplet.jsp [2]
    2. Is Adobe Flash Player v17.0.0.134 (or higher) installed? TEST HERE USING INTERNET EXPLORER ONLY! => http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

    8a. When (exact date) was Windows Internet Explorer 11 installed according to Installed Updates?

    8b. Is Firefox, Chrome or any other alternate browser installed?

    1. Are you in the habit of using "Registry cleaners" (e.g., Registry Mechanic; System Mechanic; RegCure; RegClean Pro; Advanced SystemCare; Registry Booster; McAfee QuickClean; AVG PC TuneUp; Norton Registry Cleaner; PCTools Optimiser; SpeedUpMyPC; PC Doctor; TuneUp Utilities; WinMaximizer; WinSweeper; Comodo System Cleaner; Advanced System Optimizer; CCleaner's Registry Cleaner component)?
    
    Related references may include:
    
    - Check list for installing Microsoft Security Essentials  
    
    [http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/wiki/mse-protect\_start/microsoft-security-essentials-installation/e6e18776-9571-42e9-8fc0-66717dde0e19](http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/wiki/mse-protect_start/microsoft-security-essentials-installation/e6e18776-9571-42e9-8fc0-66717dde0e19)
    - Can I install Microsoft Security Essentials [*or any other anti-virus/anti-spyware application*] to clean up my already-infected computer?  
    
    [http://answers.microsoft.com/thread/87058857-d181-4019-a723-efd9a49d9275](http://answers.microsoft.com/thread/87058857-d181-4019-a723-efd9a49d9275)
    
    ==============================================  
    
    [1] **Start | Control Panel | Pro** **grams and Features | Installed Updates** (in left-hand menu)
    
    [2] No need to install Java if it's not *already* installed
    

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-04-09T00:40:12+00:00

    important (5)  windows 7 

    KB2871997

    KB3004375

    KB3031432

    KB3033929

    KB3035131

    optional (2)

    Microsoft essentials KB2310138

    Windows 7 Internet explorer 11 for windows 7 for x64-based systems

    My current IE is IE 11 / Version 11.0.9600.1728CO with update KB2977629

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-04-09T00:25:40+00:00

    What are the KB numbers of the five updates?

    Is Internet Explorer 8 (IE8), IE9, IE10 or IE11 installed?

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-04-08T23:03:05+00:00

    Hi aakkam,  Windows installed the updates successfully.  I restarted the pc.  Windows reported it was installing 1 of 5 updates before powering off.  It restarted and once the system was up windows update again found the same 5 important updates and 2 optional updates for my computer.  This is typical of what I have been seeing. (FYI -  I ran the windows 7 Windows Update Troubleshooter several times previously to fix this problem but it did not help then either).

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments