Windows 7 update keeps installing the same 5 important updates. Can someone help?

Anonymous
2015-04-08T19:26:55+00:00

Sometimes I it says they installed successfully.  sometimes I get error code 9C48, or 0x80070057.   I ran sfc /scannow successfully as admin from dos window and have the CBS.log.  Can someone help?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-04-09T22:19:28+00:00
    1. Did you (a) uninstall the McAfee Security Center AND THEN (b) download/run the McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool & reboot (c) BEFORE you installed Microsoft Security Essentials?
    2. The second line of text in IE11's Help | About [Alt+H+A] tab reads Upgrade Versions: 11.0.11 (KB2977629) yet neither KB2977629 nor Internet Explorer 11 is listed in Installed Updates, is that correct?

    1. Is Installed Updates totally blank/empty and if so, is...
    • Start | Control Panel | Pro grams and Features | Turn Windows features on or off <=this pane

    ...also blank/empty?

    1. Can you successfully upgrade to Flash Player v17.0.0.134 (or higher) by opening Internet Explorer ONLY to this page? => http://www.adobe.com/go/getflash
    • BEWARE any pre-checked options to "drive-by" install unwanted, third-party software (e.g., Google Toolbar; Google Chrome)!
    
    **IMPORTANT! =&gt; Your computer should NOT be connected to the internet or any local networks (i.e., other computers) in its current state. All of your personal data (e.g., online banking & credit-card passwords) should be considered at-risk, if not already compromised.**
    

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-04-09T16:02:49+00:00

    Please provide a copy of your System Information file. Type System Information in the Search Box above the start Button and press the ENTER key (alternative is Select Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Information). Select File, Export and give the file a name noting where it is located. Do not place the cursor within the body of the report before exporting the file. The system creates a new System Information file each time system information is accessed. You need to allow a minute or two for the file to be fully populated before exporting a copy. Please upload the file to your OneDrive, share with everyone and post a link here. Reports in normal mode preferred. Please say if the report has been obtained in safe mode.

    Please upload and share with everyone copies of your System and Application logs from your Event Viewer to your OneDrive and post a link here.

    To access the System log select Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer, from the list in the left side of the window expand Windows Logs and select System. Place the cursor on System, select Action from the Menu and Save All Events as (the default evtx file type) and give the file a name. Do the same for the Applications log. Do not provide filtered files. Do not place the cursor in the list of reports before selecting Action from the menu. Do not clear logs whilst you have a continuing problem.

    For help with OneDrive see paragraph 9.3:

    http://www.gerryscomputertips.co.uk/MicrosoftCommunity1.htm

    General notes on Event Viewer

    http://www.gerryscomputertips.co.uk/syserrors5.htm

    The next time you need to Ask a Question start a new thread by clicking Participate towards the top of this page or the page accessed from the link below and click Ask a question on the drop down menu.

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us

    A suggestion if you are using Internet Explorer 9, 10 or 11.

    Access your profile. Make sure you have signed in. Click on All Threads, click on the Star towards the top right of the screen (you will need to press F11 to see it if you are reading Full Screen), click the scroll to the right of Add to Favourites and select Add to Favourites Bar. Edit the long name to something memorable and you can immediately access your threads from your Internet Explorer Home Page.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-06-16T13:25:44+00:00

    I have exactly the same problem.  My issue has the same KB numbers as the others plus a few more.  My symptoms are that the system finds the updates and installs them.  Lists as successfully installed.  I reboot the system and it finds exactly the same updates.  I also have a problem with "trustedinstaller.exe"  It hogs the CPU at full speed and never releases it.

    Please help!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-05-24T02:37:48+00:00

    I have the same problems as all these other people, same symtoms, same KB numbers, it all started at the same time, mid to late April, I am traveling and can't get to my WIN/7 C/D as this was the only remedy I found for curing a failed manifest. As soon as I get home I'll rebuild but I'd sure like to know just what killed my Update program so I can seek out the developer and kill him.  ;-)

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-05-08T09:36:32+00:00

    John

    Please provide a copy of your System Information file. Type System Information in the Search Box above the start Button and press the ENTER key (alternative is Select Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Information). Select File, Export and give the file a name noting where it is located. Do not place the cursor within the body of the report before exporting the file. The system creates a new System Information file each time system information is accessed. You need to allow a minute or two for the file to be fully populated before exporting a copy. Please upload the file to your OneDrive, share with everyone and post a link here. Reports in normal mode preferred. Please say if the report has been obtained in safe mode.

    Please upload and share with everyone copies of your System and Application logs from your Event Viewer to your OneDrive and post a link here.

    To access the System log select Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer, from the list in the left side of the window expand Windows Logs and select System. Place the cursor on System, select Action from the Menu and Save All Events as (the default evtx file type) and give the file a name. Do the same for the Applications log. Do not provide filtered files. Do not place the cursor in the list of reports before selecting Action from the menu. Do not clear logs whilst you have a continuing problem.

    For help with OneDrive see paragraph 9.3:

    http://www.gerryscomputertips.co.uk/MicrosoftCommunity1.htm

    General notes on Event Viewer

    http://www.gerryscomputertips.co.uk/syserrors5.htm

    The next time you need to Ask a Question start a new thread by clicking Participate towards the top of this page or the page accessed from the link below and click Ask a question on the drop down menu.

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us

    A suggestion if you are using Internet Explorer 9, 10 or 11.

    Access your profile. Make sure you have signed in. Click on All Threads, click on the Star towards the top right of the screen (you will need to press F11 to see it if you are reading Full Screen), click the scroll to the right of Add to Favourites and select Add to Favourites Bar. Edit the long name to something memorable and you can immediately access your threads from your Internet Explorer Home Page.

    Hi Gerry,  I have the same problem with the same Updates.  How should I go about it to get help.  I already have talked to somebody at Microsoft Chat and reset my Windows Updates.  I do not use OneDrive at all. I have Win 7, 64 bits, Microsoft Security Essentials (earlier on I had AVG) and the computer is about 4 years old.  It came preinstalled with Win 7. HP, 64 bit. Helga P.S. I tried Participate, but I still finished up here.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments