Try manually installing the following update for the storage driver (run SetupRST.exe) and see if it helps any:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=24293&lang=eng
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I have a Samsung np350v5c laptop and have always been able to use the cd/dvd drive. I have been on windows 8.1 for a while but have noticed over the last month that the cd drive does not work anymore. If you enter a cd it doesn't recognise it, the d drive doesn't appear in windows explorer etc. From browsing this forum I found a solution in 2012 to change registry by adding
reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001
to cmd prompt which I did and rebooted. Initially the d drive reappeared, I left the laptop in sleep mode overnight but when I opened it up the d drive had disappeared again.
Under device manager it says the drive is ST1000LM024_HN-M101MBB. I have tried uninstalling the driver and reinstalling, updating (says up to date) but no joy.
My partner has the exact same laptop so I checked his and his cd drive isn't working either so it must be a conflict between with windows 8.1 and not a failing cd drive.
Does anyone have any new ideas please?
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Try manually installing the following update for the storage driver (run SetupRST.exe) and see if it helps any:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=24293&lang=eng
OK, thanks for the follow-up.
Post back if the problem returns of if your partner's problem persists
Hi
Turns out I was premature as my problem has returned. My DVD drive has disappeared again and this time is also missing from safe mode.
I also checked my partner's laptop and his dvd drive doesn't appear in safe mode.
I would be very grateful if you have any more ideas??
many thanks
OK, thanks for the follow-up.
Post back if the problem returns of if your partner's problem persists
If it works in Safe Mode but not Normal Mode there is a good chance a third party component that loads at startup that is causing the issue.
Can you first try uninstalling any Cyberlink software that is installed such as Power2Go and YouCam.
Afterward restart the computer in Normal Mode and see if the issue has resolved.
Many thanks for all of your help. I'm not sure why but before your reply came through I tried a cd again (and yesterday's starting in safe mode) and it worked!! Therefore, I'm guessing if the problem returns after another windows update I can firstly try starting in safe mode, and if that fails uninstalling any cyberlink software. I need to try this now on my partner's laptop to see if this helps him also!
thanks again
If it works in Safe Mode but not Normal Mode there is a good chance a third party component that loads at startup that is causing the issue.
Can you first try uninstalling any Cyberlink software that is installed such as Power2Go and YouCam.
Afterward restart the computer in Normal Mode and see if the issue has resolved.