CD drive stopped working on samsung laptop with windows 8.1

Anonymous
2015-02-21T15:20:41+00:00

I have a Samsung np350v5c laptop and have always been able to use the cd/dvd drive. I have been on windows 8.1 for a while but have noticed over the last month that the cd drive does not work anymore. If you enter a cd it doesn't recognise it, the d drive doesn't appear in windows explorer etc. From browsing this forum I found a solution in 2012 to change registry by adding

reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001

to cmd prompt which I did and rebooted. Initially the d drive reappeared, I left the laptop in sleep mode overnight but when I opened it up the d drive had disappeared again.

Under device manager it says the drive is ST1000LM024_HN-M101MBB. I have tried uninstalling the driver and reinstalling, updating (says up to date)  but no joy.

My partner has the exact same laptop so I checked his and his cd drive isn't working either so it must be a conflict between with windows 8.1 and not a failing cd drive.

Does anyone have any new ideas please?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-03-08T22:03:40+00:00

    Can you provide an updated.nfo and .evtx file?

    Hi

    I've put the files into here

    http://1drv.ms/1GgpAE6

    thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-03-08T15:39:08+00:00

    Can you provide an updated.nfo and .evtx file?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-03-07T19:05:06+00:00

    Based on the Hardware Id's the following driver should install as it has matching Hardware Ids in the .inf file:

    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23060/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-RAID-Driver

    Can you download and run SetupRST.exe from the link.

    Post back if the driver does not install.

    Hi

    I installed this driver but after restart the dvd drive is still missing and tried a cd but still no joy.

    Any more ideas?

    many thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-03-07T14:01:51+00:00

    Based on the Hardware Id's the following driver should install as it has matching Hardware Ids in the .inf file:

    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23060/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-RAID-Driver

    Can you download and run SetupRST.exe from the link.

    Post back if the driver does not install.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-03-07T12:48:40+00:00

    You appear to be looking at the Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller.

    Is there an entry for the Intel storage controller?

    It may look something like the following:

    Intel(R) 7 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller

    If the Intel controller is not under the Storage controllers category try under the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers category.

    Sorry found it now under IDE controllers

    There's 4 entries

    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E03&SUBSYS_C0D8144D&REV_04

    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E03&SUBSYS_C0D8144D

    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E03&CC_010601

    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E03&CC_0106

    cheers

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments