Windows Media Center EPG Data issues - UPDATE 7/27

Anonymous
2015-07-27T23:06:27+00:00

Hi everyone:

I'm Jon, a Program Manager with Microsoft who works on servicing Windows Media Center.  I want to share an update with you about the EPG issues some of you are experiencing.

Rovi is working with Microsoft directly on all Windows Media Center related issues.  Our official path of support for WMC issues is to log a feedback report within the Microsoft Connect site (https://connect.microsoft.com/site1145/Feedback).  Microsoft will triage the problems there, and report any lineup or data accuracy related issues to Rovi you.  Note that you will need to login to the Connect site and link your MS account with to it for the link above to work properly.  You can also go to http://connect.microsoft.com, sign in there, and navigate to the "Media Center Program Guide Data Feedback Home" site.

There are a few problems with the data conversion that are known issues. We are working to resolve these as quickly as possible.

  1. **The issue regarding OTA channels not surfacing to the WMC guide is believed to be resolved.**Please run through your WMC setup (if necessary) and confirm if you now have the missing channels along with their corresponding guide data. If you continue to have issues please open a ticket with Microsoft in the Connect application. Microsoft will work directly with Rovi on any further issues you might be having.
  2. Series recordings problems. We believe we have identified the problem and Microsoft and Rovi are working towards the best solution. At this time we don’t have an estimate on when this will be fixed.
  3. Cable card lineups not displaying the HD channels. Microsoft and Rovi are working on a long term solution. In the meantime a work around has been implemented for customers with Cablevision/Optimum lineups and you should expect to receive the HD channels within 24-48 hours from 7/23.

We will continue to provide updates on this thread as they occur.

--Jon, MSFT

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Apps

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-09-23T17:12:18+00:00

    Rick,

    I too do NOT have #4 in my Vista 32-bit, and even worse, I don't have exactly the same path Jon gives on #3 (he says "...In the left tree, expand Task Scheduler Library, Microsoft, Windows, Media Center). I have to follow this path: Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Task Scheduler/Task Scheduler Library/Media Center but then something even stranger happens.

    When I open "Media Center", I start getting this series of pop-up messages with the name "Task Scheduler":

    "The selected task 'UpdateRecordPath' no longer exists.  To see the current tasks, click Refresh."

    "The selected task 'OCURDiscovery' no longer exists.  To see the current tasks, click Refresh.""The selected task 'OCURActivate' no longer exists.  To see the current tasks, click Refresh."

    "The selected task 'mcupdate' no longer exists.  To see the current tasks, click Refresh."

    "The selected task 'ehDRMInit' no longer exists.  To see the current tasks, click Refresh."

    (Clicking Refresh doesn't bring up any current tasks.)  Is anyone else on this board getting any of these messages?

    All these "selected tasks" appear one at a time in the pop-up windows and only have an "OK" button which, when clicked, makes that window disappear and the next window message pops up, with the next "selected task no longer exists" message.  Once I click through those five messages, no more pop up under "Media Center" until I repeat the process of going through the tree path to get to the Task Scheduler Library/Media Center.

    It's evident that the tips, fixes, suggestions, etc. on this and other boards do not apply to this early version of Vista because some of the tools or paths suggested don't exist on our system ("ObjectStoreRecoveryTask", for instance).

    I am convinced more than ever that no one at Microsoft is looking for any fix for those of us with the "early" Vista 32-bit OS with factory installed WMC and tuner, and probably none of the MS "trusted experts" on the Community forums are either.  It seems we are being overlooked, ignored, or at best, put last just because we are not willing to upgrade every time MS thinks we should and as someone else on this board said, some of us can't afford it.  WMC wasn't broke and didn't need fixing and not everyone in this world uses WMC just to watch DVDs and cable.

    My "path" matches the originally posted one. No idea why yours is different. My original install

    disk was Vista-Ultimate-32bit. RTM-(NFR)+FPP The disk is direct from MS and legit. I think the problem is that MS changes so much so often they lose track.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-09-24T17:19:48+00:00

    I got the guide to work I thought.  It was giving me everything but one channel.  However now when I open the guide I keep getting Guide Listing will be out of date in fewer than 3 days.  Download to get the latest Guide listings.  I click download then after about a minute I get Guide listings were downloaded successfully.  I can go right back and click on the Guide and it does it again.  When I go to about Guide listings it says Guide End Date 9/25/2015.  It used to say Rovi now it say Zap2it again.  What is going on.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-10-05T14:17:24+00:00

    Hi everyone:

    I want to give a quick update on where we are since my post earlier this month. My team continues to work on this issue, and we greatly appreciate the help and support of the community in reporting issues and sharing info.

    Since my last update, we’ve been updating the data feeds and cleaning up issues you have been reporting via the Connect site. Thanks for the reports – as I mentioned earlier, we won’t be able to respond to each Connect report directly, but we are gathering and working through the issues as they come in. I've gotten some other reports via PM as well, and those get added to the list as well.

    We’ve also been investigating the problem is not getting any new EPG data at all, which is still a problem for some of you. We’ve tried repro’ing the problem in our lab with limited success - in fact, during our initial testing before the rollout, we never saw this issue. As folks on this forum have pointed out, some people with multiple WMC installs will see this problem on one install but not another, which indicates it's a transient issue, very difficult to reproduce and root cause. We're focusing on recovery methods - steps you can take to help get EPG data flowing again.

    There have been troubleshooting steps given in this and other forums that have had some success. We took a look at them, did our own verification, and the team is confident in endorsing them as recommended ways to help resolve the problem.

    1. RECOMMENDED: Clearing the DNS cache.

    This is a simple step and seems to be effective in some cases. To do this, open an elevated Command Prompt and enter ipconfig /flushdns. This removes old DNS entries from the cache and forces the machine to reacquire the proper IP’s for our download URL’s. 2. RECOMMENDED: Trying different ZIP codes.

    This has been effective for some users, and also returns usable results. You can see if your ZIP code, city, or other nearby areas, are available at http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/tv-listings - enter your ZIP code or city name to see the providers for that area. 3. PARTIALLY RECOMMENDED: Run the ObjectStoreRecoveryTask in Task Scheduler.

    This step is a little more involved, and should be undertaken by advanced users only. This can clear older EPG data from your WMC installation, allowing a restarted WMC to pick up the new data feed. Effectiveness is unknown, which is why it’s only partially recommended – it won’t damage your install, but requires some experience to make it work.

    For this method, follow these steps: 1. Close WMC 2. Open Task Scheduler, by opening Control Panel, System and Security, Administrative Tools, Schedule Tasks 3. In the left tree, expand Task Scheduler Library, Microsoft, Windows, Media Center 4. In the right pane, under name, right-click ObjectStoreRecoveryTask, and click Run (let it run for 2+ mins) 5. Close Task Scheduler 6. Restart WMC

    We're working on some other, more involved methods, and I hope to have some more concrete recommendations from the team within the next week or so. Until then, please keep reporting issues at the Connect site (https://connect.microsoft.com/site1145), and thanks again for your help.

    --Jon, MSFT

    I have no #4 in Vista-32bit.

    Connect site issue reporting problem

    Maybe its just my PC, but there seems to be no way to report that I still cannot download the guide, even after trying suggested methods 1, 3, and 2.  Have a bunch of networked PC's, all with windows 7, and (amazingly) one works, but the rest do not.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-10-05T14:21:08+00:00

    Clicking on this https://connect.microsoft.com/site1145/Feedback says page not found anyway

    Same here, not working.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-10-05T14:22:41+00:00

    Other feedback links like https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/Feedbackworks just fine.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments