I'm sorry I can't give you further reassurance about how it might work with your set up. I only just began using WinTV after replacing my hard drive and trying to reinstall Vista Home Premium 32 Bit. I say trying to reinstall because I have hit a road block and cannot install SP 1 or SP 2. This has left WMC useless as it continually crashes. Prior to the hard drive failure I had been doing the same as you, manually scheduling what I wanted to record in WMC since the EPG no longer works. My original tuner failed two years ago and I replaced it with the HVR-2250, so I had the WinTV v7.2 installation cd. This works but I still have to manually schedule recordings. When I go to the TitanTV site and hit the record button listed with a show, it sends a tvpi file to my computer that shows up in Downloads but WinTV doesn't find it and record the program. I suspect that if I was not having the problem with updating my computer and was able to download the latest WinTV version 3.9g that maybe scheduling from the Titan listings would work.
Windows Media Center EPG Data issues - UPDATE 7/27
Hi everyone:
I'm Jon, a Program Manager with Microsoft who works on servicing Windows Media Center. I want to share an update with you about the EPG issues some of you are experiencing.
Rovi is working with Microsoft directly on all Windows Media Center related issues. Our official path of support for WMC issues is to log a feedback report within the Microsoft Connect site (https://connect.microsoft.com/site1145/Feedback). Microsoft will triage the problems there, and report any lineup or data accuracy related issues to Rovi you. Note that you will need to login to the Connect site and link your MS account with to it for the link above to work properly. You can also go to http://connect.microsoft.com, sign in there, and navigate to the "Media Center Program Guide Data Feedback Home" site.
There are a few problems with the data conversion that are known issues. We are working to resolve these as quickly as possible.
- **The issue regarding OTA channels not surfacing to the WMC guide is believed to be resolved.**Please run through your WMC setup (if necessary) and confirm if you now have the missing channels along with their corresponding guide data. If you continue to have issues please open a ticket with Microsoft in the Connect application. Microsoft will work directly with Rovi on any further issues you might be having.
- Series recordings problems. We believe we have identified the problem and Microsoft and Rovi are working towards the best solution. At this time we don’t have an estimate on when this will be fixed.
- Cable card lineups not displaying the HD channels. Microsoft and Rovi are working on a long term solution. In the meantime a work around has been implemented for customers with Cablevision/Optimum lineups and you should expect to receive the HD channels within 24-48 hours from 7/23.
We will continue to provide updates on this thread as they occur.
--Jon, MSFT
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Apps
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
47 answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2015-09-15T15:57:36+00:00 -
Anonymous
2015-09-15T19:51:59+00:00 Thanks for the heads up about your problem re-installing Vista. I think you probably have the same Vista version that I have and your experience is exactly what I am trying to avoid and why I haven't tried any of the many forums' suggestions which involve flushing, editing registers, complete re-installs, etc. As you might guess, my expertise (as far as Vista) is in searching databases, finding successful solutions and then applying known fixes, but avoiding all speculative or "iffy" trial and error!
Have you posted on any other forum besides this one? Vast majority of all forums I've accessed do not apply to Vista and none apparently apply to my "early edition 2006" 32-bit Vista. One poster (Vistaar) on the Green Button site http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=9155
has tried a lot of different methods but unfortunately I think his Vista is the "next edition 2007" (which became Windows 7) for which MS offered the TV Pack update but for whatever reason it didn't apply to the earlier edition. So, apparently us early Vista owners can't install TV Pack, or as yet, I haven't found anyone yet on any forum who has been successful in installing it and getting the new EPG. Vistaar's suggestion to backup the entire OS system before trying it might have worked for you to be able to re-install your Vista system but probably not any help to get the new EPG.
I hope to find time this week to check with Hauppauge about their WinTV v7.2 cd and advice about using TitanTV as the EPG.
We need a way to combine all the many forums I've read about WMC and EPG into one big complaint forum so Microsoft can see how many people want to keep WMC, including using it on Vista which will not be supported after next year. Many users like me (a "cable never") use it for reasons other than a free way to stream videos (a "cable cutter") or a DVD player.
Microsoft is portraying WMC as obsolete, that it is being used primarily by people for only DVD and cable streaming use, and that Windows 10 and XBox will include features to replace those 2 uses. They are refusing to recognize there are hundreds of thousands (Millions?) of us OTA users who don't want/can't afford cable and pay for view, and who are using other functions of WMC every day which won't be available in Windows 10 and XBox.
I am one of those "nevers"; I've never had cable, don't want cable, and will continue to watch only broadcast (free) channels. The reason I bought my Vista Media Center TV PC in January 2007 was WMC's ability to pull in OTA broadcast TV and be able to watch live TV, record programs, play DVDs, music, and radio, all while using my computer. My original monitor had a 22" screen and WMC allowed me to resize the TV image from full screen to smaller than postcard-size screen so I could do all my computer work and watch TV at the same time on the same screen.
This makes WMC perfect for multi-tasking and now it's even better after my 22" monitor died because I replaced it with a 32" Vizio TV with computer input and simply connected it to my Vista! I often use WMC to track TV weather maps/warnings and favorite TV shows in a corner of my screen while I'm checking email or using other software, or conversely, if I'm watching my favorite TV show through WMC, I can have a web-accessed stock market chart, Email, or Google search running on screen at the same time as WMC running my favorite TV program in a reduced window, plus I can be recording that program just in case I get called away from the screen or distracted by computer work. The built-in feature of closed captioning on WMC has been a godsend if I can't understand something being said on TV; I can just rewind and "Mute" and closed captioning appears - although sometimes I get some extremely funny spellings and wrong words being captioned!)
Of course, the schedule and recording part of WMC became very unsatisfactory after the EPG switchover, since now I can only do manual setting to record one interval at a time so I have to find a programming guide for times and channels. That's another great feature of WMC - I can resize its screen so I can access TitanTV website, resize it on one side of my screen and resize WMC screen on the other so I can see both screens at the same time, making it a little easier to set up manual recording.
If there is any other program out there that can do all that WMC does, and as easy as WMC has been to use before this EPG switchover disaster, please let me and the many other frustrated soon-to-be-dumped WMC users know. There's a ready-made market for it!
-
Anonymous
2015-09-15T23:21:05+00:00 I do use Titan TV, but it will not let you set up to record a complete series.
-
Anonymous
2015-09-16T21:30:16+00:00 Are you using the latest version of WinTV? I am using version 2 and not sure if it works correctly because of my computer not being up to date. I am able to schedule repeat recordings but have to input it all manually. When I get my OS installed correctly I will probably go back to using WMC, even with the EPG problem.
-
Anonymous
2015-09-16T22:17:27+00:00 I have the latest version WinTV8 33135