What is this bleeding/images?

Anonymous
2015-06-06T02:59:29+00:00

So, within the last week or two I've had what I can only describe as "bleeding" going on on my computer. I will try to attach a pic to show you. Anyway, it seems to be emotes that are showing. Like the kind you can use on FB. But yeah, it will suddenly out of nowhere appear over photos, videos, my desktop, the top and bottom bars of Firefox, etc. It usually goes away with a refresh. That's if it's bleeding on Firefox. But it it bleeds on my desktop I usually need to restart my comp in order to get it to go away. And it does. Anyway idea what this could be?

I have Windows 7 Home Premium

HP Pavilion dv6815nr Entertainment Notebook PC (if you wanna look up the specs)

I have about 70% of space still available. Haven't downloaded anything in years, and the updates are up to date. Use an antivirus software, and also check for spam and junk like that regularly. I'm at a loss. Would love to hear some suggestions.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-06-09T18:12:13+00:00

    Re; my last post...I have just been advised in another thread that the SFC Scannow update-related issue has been fixed in this month's updates, so we can run that again in a day or two when (if !!!) you have successfully updated.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-06-09T15:43:43+00:00

    The 'corrupt files' found by SFC may be to do with a known issue caused by a recent update...  Try the 2nd User Account and see how the display behaves there. (We can go back to the SFC log if necessary)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-06-09T15:37:04+00:00

    Ok, did a RAM test and no problems were found. Also under system says I have 6 gig installed RAM and 5.80 gig usable. In Task manager it says I have 5941 TOTAL and 3424 AVAILABLE. So, doesn't seem like an issue to me with the RAM. Do you agree?

    Right now I have no means of hooking my laptop up to an external monitor so I won't be able to check that.

    That's a hardware problem which I have seen before.  If your laptop video uses shared RAM I recommend running a RAM Test.  Also check whether it's overheating.   The video cable can sometimes cause patterns like that, and though I suspect not in your case, it wouldn't hurt to connect an external monitor and see if it shows the same problem to narrow it.  I've serviced a few desktops over the years with that problem with motherboard video and the only fix was a replacement motherboard or adding a separate video card (not doable, of course, on a laptop).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-06-09T15:15:41+00:00

    Ok, for starters I ran the System File Check and it says:

    " Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them."

    So now what do I do with that? I'm looking at the log but have no idea how to "manually replace the corrupt files" as suggested on that link. Mostly because I have no clue what the hell I'm looking for on this log that the scan created. LOL

    Now on to test the RAM as suggested by GTS-NJ.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-06-09T14:39:13+00:00

    Hi - I think it would be worth running this tool (System File Checker) to see if it finds / corrects anything...just follow the on screen instructions for Windows7...

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

    Another check worth making is open a new User Account (Control Panel-User Accounts) copy a few files into the new account and see if behaviour is normal there.

    You said you had tried all the suggestions in earlier posts - did that include a system restore? (as suggested by John John) - Thanks...R

    P.S.  The post from GTS came in as I posted - the second account test would back up his theory, which incidentally, reminds me I have seen something similar on a laptop with a failing motherboard.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments