What is this bleeding/images?

Anonymous
2015-06-06T02:59:29+00:00

So, within the last week or two I've had what I can only describe as "bleeding" going on on my computer. I will try to attach a pic to show you. Anyway, it seems to be emotes that are showing. Like the kind you can use on FB. But yeah, it will suddenly out of nowhere appear over photos, videos, my desktop, the top and bottom bars of Firefox, etc. It usually goes away with a refresh. That's if it's bleeding on Firefox. But it it bleeds on my desktop I usually need to restart my comp in order to get it to go away. And it does. Anyway idea what this could be?

I have Windows 7 Home Premium

HP Pavilion dv6815nr Entertainment Notebook PC (if you wanna look up the specs)

I have about 70% of space still available. Haven't downloaded anything in years, and the updates are up to date. Use an antivirus software, and also check for spam and junk like that regularly. I'm at a loss. Would love to hear some suggestions.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-06-07T14:57:42+00:00

    Ran the program and it found nothing. Not surprised because, as I said, I have and regularly run malware/spyware/virus protecting programs.

    My gut says that maybe it's something related to one of the updates Windows made? I really don't know. But as far as my computer goes, that's really the only time anything gets added/updated, etc. is when Windows (or Firefox or those anti virus/malware/spyware programs) make updates. I don't use this computer for games or anything so I never add software. What came on the computer is what's on the computer. The only thing I added to it was a antivirus program and the spyware/malware programs and Firefox but they've been on here since the day I got the computer so it's not like those were recently added.

    No clue. I still think it has to do with a Windows update. I would say maybe even a Firefox update too but not sure Firefox would have the ability to screw with my desktop when I start having that bleed through/image issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-06-07T15:16:42+00:00

    If you think is the problem is caused by Firefox clear its cache.  Maybe look in the Event Log for clues but I doubt that this problem records any events.  Remote chance but this might also be the video adapter going bad.  Otherwise if you don't want to try suggested troubleshooting steps there is not much we can do to help.

    John

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-06-07T12:54:36+00:00

    You should still try the "Clean Boot" as it is often very useful as a diagnostic tool, if the problem does not occur in a clean boot state then you can pretty well eliminate drivers or Windows components as a source of the problem then concentrate your efforts on third party software.  If the problem does persist in a clean boot state then you can eliminate third party software as the source of the problems and then concentrate on drivers and Windows components.

    My 5 cents on the problem is that it may be caused by something that you might have inadvertently picked up on the internet, I would suggest that you run a Malwarebytes scan on the machine and see if it picks up any pests.  If the problem is very recent you can use System Restore and roll back the machine to a point just before the problem started.

    John

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-06-07T12:35:18+00:00

    Thanks but I am NOT trying to install or run a program and having issues. This random bleed through/random images appearing over top of other things has nothing to do with installing or not being able to install software. I have not had any new software added to this computer in over 4 years! So that clean boot won't do me no good.

    Also, as I already said in my original post, all drivers are up to date. I always keep everything updated.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-06-06T23:43:23+00:00

    Hi,

    Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

    As I understand, you are getting some kind of picture while using other programs and also on desktop. Do not worry, will assist you with the issue.

    Try to put the system in Clean Boot. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program in Windows. It starts Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs.

    How to perform a Clean Boot in Windows: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

    Note: After troubleshooting, refer to this section "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting" in the above link.

    If issue persists, then try to update Graphics/display driver.

    1. Click the Start button , type "device manager" in the search box, and then click Device Manager.  If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    2. In the list of hardware categories, find the device that you want to update, and then double-click the device name.
    3. Click the Driver tab, click Update Driver, and then follow the instructions.  If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

    Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments