Michele: If you bought a new computer "Photo Gallery" is not included. So unless you installed it yourself you are most likely referring to the Windows 10 "Photos" app, that
is included with windows 10.
That application is not a good piece of software – I agree to that – it doesn't have what I need for a proper photo archive; for one thing it doesn't support tags.
But this thread is about running "Windows Photo gallery" on Win10... so you might be at the wrong place, if you mistook the Windows 10
Photo app for the older Photo gallery.
With some adjustments and after much work/research to get "Photo Gallery 2012" running, I must say I really like Windows 10. A nice and fast system, but I've seen a couple of hiccups: You have to make sure to select "RESTART" if the computer seems to behave
strangely (slow, and / or with popup messages at startup about group membership cannot be reached – or something like that). The "restart" option often fixes this, since the slowness often is due to a more or less hidden "windows update" that can't complete,
and won't complete with a normal ("fast") shut down, but will do so after a real restart (not "shut down" / "Start", but the single selection "RESTART"). The other way to fix similar problems is to disable "fast startup", do a restart and then re-enable "fast
startup"). Here is info about where to turn on/off fast startup: http://www.howtogeek.com/243901/the-pros-and-cons-of-windows-10s-fast-startup-mode/
I like the Photo Gallery version from about 2009 (which actually runs perfectly on Windows 7) the best, since the views for tools and previews are better distributed for a normal single screen or wide screen than in version 2012 Photo gallery.
Andreas