Photo Gallery and Windows 10

Anonymous
2015-08-14T13:51:58+00:00

Have any users - who use Photo Gallery (part of Windows Essentials 2012), preferably on Win 7 - upgraded to Win 10?    Have you checked out whether Photo Gallery, including all the tags you've attached to your media, continues to operate seamlessly on your machine after the Win 10 Upgrade.   Any problems at all?

How about Movie Maker?   I note Microsoft provides contradictory information about compatibility of Movie Maker and Window 10 - see the following:

  1. They are NOT compatible according to:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-au/windows-10/movie-maker-is-not-available-in-windows-10

2) They ARE compatible according to:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/CompatCenter/ProductDetailsViewer?Name=Movie%20Maker&vendor=Microsoft&Locale=1033%2C2057%2C3081%2C4105%2C16393&ModelOrVersion=16&BreadCrumbPath=movie%20maker%20version%2016&LastSearchTerm=movie%2Bmaker%2Bversion%2B16&Type=Software&tempOsid=Windows%2010

What can a user do but ask other for their real world experience!

Windows for home | Other | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-09-21T03:17:54+00:00

    I downloaded Windows 10 on July 28. I have had nothing but problems . Between 2 and 12 duplicates of many photos. Any duplicate deleted will delete all copies and leave a non removable and non available photo entry. Also renaming or renumbering a photo will make it no longer available. Does not effect photos after August. I had about 70,000 photos with windows XP. When I went to Windows 7 pro, it reloaded to 107,000. At least I could delete the duplicates with no problem. When Windows 10 installed, I ended up with 307,000 photos. Today I have over 310,000 photos. Totally unmanageable. I do not recommend Windows 10 until they address this problem. I contacted customer service 8/12/2015 and was told it caused by a virus and after the virus was removed it would be resolved. Not happening! Be very careful. I have lost a lot of photos already. Any change to Collections,  Pictures, or Photo Gallery is also done to the others. I will try to resolve this again but will probably return to Windows 7 pro next week.

    I assume these "duplicates" are seen in the photo gallery, but the actual photo on your disk is not duplicate.  I very much doubt that that the Win 10 upgrade touches you personal files, such as photos.

    The problem is the total quantity of photos. Any deletion makes all the duplicates inaccessible and the deleted item can be returned from the recycle bin, unless it has been emptied, but I still have too many duplicates. I returned to Windows 7 pro. Everything was OK for a few days until I turned my computer on and Photo Gallery was completely gone. Windows essentials would no longer download so I could not get Photo Gallery back. I reinstalled windows 10 back onto this computer for news and email. I set up my other two computers with Linux Ubuntu and reinserted all my photos onto them.  The current problem is the photo lock-on in collections frequently will not hold. When I try to modify a photo it will not hold until I can save or will not permit the photo to even select. The same thing happens in the pictures folder. I only have about 200 photos on my Windows 10 system now. I keep anything important on my Linux systems.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-09-20T20:05:06+00:00

    Thank you for the steps!!

    It has worked for me :-) Yippy!!

    I use this program all day long and would hate it lose it!!

    Good Luck!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-09-07T21:39:54+00:00

    I also can`t download from memory card to windows 10.

    I just spoke with tech support from H.P. and they said that there will be a windows 10 update from microsoft which will fix this problem.

    It is very frustrating but It seems like there will be a fix soon.

    Patience, Patience, Patience. is strongly recommended.

    Artie

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-09-04T22:43:43+00:00

    I followed your link and got this message:

    Run now

    We're sorry, but your operating system is not supported by Microsoft Fix it at this time.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-09-03T09:18:32+00:00

    AFTER READDING UP ON WINDOWS 10 APPARENTLY PHOTO GALLERY IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH WINDOWS 10 AND MINE DISAPPEARED, PARTLY. IT IS NOT UNDER MY PROGRAMS ANYMORE.

    AND THEY REALLY MADE THE PHOTO "ENHANCER" CHEESY......

    Curious.  The following says Photo Gallery is compatible with Windows 10.

    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/CompatCenter/ProductDetailsViewer?Name=Windows%20Live%20Essentials%20Photo%20Gallery&vendor=Microsoft&Locale=1033%2C2057%2C3081%2C4105%2C16393&ModelOrVersion=14&BreadCrumbPath=windows%20live%20essentials%20photo%20gallery&LastSearchTerm=windows%2Blive%2Bessentials%2Bphoto%2Bgallery&Type=Software&tempOsid=Windows%2010

    A friend had Photo Gallery on a Win 7 machine, upgraded to Win 10, and reports it is still there and seems to be functioning normally.

    Please post links to any reliable source that says Photo Gallery is NOT compatible with Win 10.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments