Sounds to me like Microsoft doesn't want you blocking THEIR ads, or that MSN doesn't want you to keep THEM from tracking you or your ad choices. Pardon my cynicism, but I believe MSN has created this glitch intentionally in creating this sorry ad-revenue-driven
website that puts content and its users a distant second and third.
I look for MSN to continue to find ways to get around tracking protection and ad blockers by tying their content into the ads, codewise or otherwise, then offering up these handy solutions like, "Hey, folks, just disable your tracking protection and ad blocking
and you can see our content, along with all of our wonderful ads, and we'll be able to keep track of which ads you see so we can shove more of the same down your throat."
I use Firefox with AdBlock Plus. Currently, ABP not only blocks out that annoying banner ad that sometimes pops up at the top of the page, but also that nearly-constant ad at the top right of the page. However, it also takes the "Popular Searches" module
out along with this ad. Now, I was going to say that this removal of Popular Searches was "unfortunate", but I just disabled ABP to see what was in the module and this was what I found.

"Boo Boo Grandma speaks"?? Stories on Sharon Stone, Katie Holmes, Joan Rivers' daughter, Katherine Heigl?? Thanks for sparing me that load of pure garbage, ABP. And shame on you, MSN, for polluting everyone's home pages with links to that pure garbage.
The fact that this top section is mostly just stories from the Entertainment section puked up and splattered across the top of the page is just further proof that you should allow us to choose whether or not we want this top section of stories you seem to
want to spoon-feed us. Personally, I could do without it.
But I guess personal choices are a thing of the past at MSN.