BITS service is missing, how can I get it back?

Anonymous
2013-11-04T01:30:12+00:00

Original Title - BITS service    

BITS service is missing in windows xp how can I get it back, i do not have the orginal cd, help.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-12-12T14:25:13+00:00

Hi Xircal,

The December Patch Tuesday has me plumbing depths of Windows XP I never want to see again.  While exploring the posts in the community, I've found your advice extremely helpful and have managed to get the BITS running again on my venerable Dell XP desktop followed by a successful update of all the security patches.  I've had less success with an installation of XP that I run on a Mac in a VMWare virtual machine.  Until Tuesday, it had run for a couple of years without any problems.  Now, however, BITS is balking.

At first, it didn't exist on the services list,  Employing ElderL's registry fix, I've been able to add BITS to the services list. When I try to start the service, I get an alert stating "Could not start BITS service on Local Computer.  Error 1290: 0x50a." Thinking I need to follow your script to register the service, I started by checking to see that the qmgr.dll file is in the three locations you've listed.  It's not.  Search finds the file only in C:\WINDOWS\system32.  In fact, the folders C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386 and C:\WINDOWS\system32\bits don't exist in my WINDOWS folder.  So I'm stopped when I hit your proviso, "Provided they're all present."  System Properties confirms that I have SP3 installed in a 2002 version of Microsoft Windows XP Professional.

Can you advise me how to proceed?  Thanks in advance.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-11-23T23:50:45+00:00

Thank you for the link ElderL I actually found some help there :)

I was pointed to a Link

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/misc-registry-fixes-for-windows-7-xp-vista/

and it pointed me down to #14 in the list which I did download and run

I did manually go back to the services from the administrative tools and right click to open the properties for BITS and click the start

I have now returned to my Windows Updater and it was able to start and is currently Downloading the updates :)  feeling very optomisic  ATM

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-11-04T01:52:28+00:00

    BITS service is missing in windows xp how can I get it back, i do not have the orginal cd, help.

    HI AnnaRose

    Reinstalling Windows XP SP3, install the BITS Service but there is a drawback. If you have IE 8 installed. you won't be able to uninstall it later, so your best bet would be to uninstall IE8 first then reinstall it after reinstalling SP3.

    I used this method a couple of days ago on a hunch as a last resort when i found the BITS service was missing from my system and when i tried to reinstall using a CD with SP2, the system balked and demanded an XP SP3 Disc, so i tried it and it worked!. Hope it does for you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-11-04T06:54:58+00:00

    XP Services just don't disappear by themselves for no reason, so with absolutely nothing to go on (like what does 'missing' mean exactly, XP version, Service Pack, antivirus/sntimalware software, how the BITS Service came up missing in the first place, what you have attempted so far, etc., etc., etc.), it is usually a simple matter to reinstall the BITS Service in Windows XP (if that's the only problem):

    Here's how:

    Before making any changes to your registry you may want to manually create a new Restore Point and make a copy of your registry with this popular free tool:

    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/erunt.html

    Open Notepad (and only Notepad) to create a new text file:

    Click Start, Run and in the box enter:

    notepad

    Click OK to open a new Notepad file.

    Copy and paste the following lines of BOLD text into the new Notepad file:

    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BITS]"Type"=dword:00000020"Start"=dword:00000003"ErrorControl"=dword:00000001"ImagePath"=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,\  74,00,25,00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,73,\  00,76,00,63,00,68,00,6f,00,73,00,74,00,2e,00,65,00,78,00,65,00,20,00,2d,00,\  6b,00,20,00,6e,00,65,00,74,00,73,00,76,00,63,00,73,00,00,00"DisplayName"="Background Intelligent Transfer Service""DependOnService"=hex(7):52,00,70,00,63,00,53,00,73,00,00,00,00,00"DependOnGroup"=hex(7):00,00,00,00"ObjectName"="LocalSystem""Description"="Transfers files in the background using idle network bandwidth. If the service is stopped, features such as Windows Update, and MSN Explorer will be unable to automatically download programs and other information. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it may fail to transfer files if they do not have a fail safe mechanism to transfer files directly through IE in case BITS has been disabled.""FailureActions"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,03,00,00,00,68,e3,00,\  00,01,00,00,00,60,ea,00,00,01,00,00,00,60,ea,00,00,01,00,00,00,60,ea,00,00[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BITS\Parameters]"ServiceDll"=hex(2):25,00,77,00,69,00,6e,00,64,00,69,00,72,00,25,00,5c,00,73,\  00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,71,00,6d,00,67,00,72,00,\  2e,00,64,00,6c,00,6c,00,00,00[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BITS\Security]"Security"=hex:01,00,14,80,90,00,00,00,9c,00,00,00,14,00,00,00,30,00,00,00,02,\  00,1c,00,01,00,00,00,02,80,14,00,ff,01,0f,00,01,01,00,00,00,00,00,01,00,00,\  00,00,02,00,60,00,04,00,00,00,00,00,14,00,fd,01,02,00,01,01,00,00,00,00,00,\  05,12,00,00,00,00,00,18,00,ff,01,0f,00,01,02,00,00,00,00,00,05,20,00,00,00,\  20,02,00,00,00,00,14,00,8d,01,02,00,01,01,00,00,00,00,00,05,0b,00,00,00,00,\  00,18,00,fd,01,02,00,01,02,00,00,00,00,00,05,20,00,00,00,23,02,00,00,01,01,\  00,00,00,00,00,05,12,00,00,00,01,01,00,00,00,00,00,05,12,00,00,00[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BITS\Enum]"0"="Root\LEGACY_BITS\0000""Count"=dword:00000001"NextInstance"=dword:00000001

    Save the new text file with a .reg extension to your desktop or someplace you can remember with a name you can remember, something like:

    fixbits.reg

    After saving the file, close notepad.

    Locate the fixbits.reg file on your desktop and double click it.

    Alternatively, you can right click the fixbits.reg file, choose Merge or Open With... and select the Registry Editor or Import.

    Respond in the affirmative to the question... Are you sure you want to add the information to the registry?

    You should then see a message that the information was successfully entered into the registry.

    Reboot your system and test to be sure the changes "stick" and see if the BITS Service is now listed and if it will Start (if it isn't already running).

    You can remove the fixbits.reg file when you are done.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-11-04T16:12:43+00:00

    You are correct ElderL, the service was not actually missing and i know this because when i looked in Services, what i found in place of BITS was something like this:@qmgr.dll-1000... So i looked qmgr.dll up, and found it was part of BITS and that that file may be corrupt or simply not registered.

    1. Is there a way to replace the corrup file with a good copy from the installation CD/DVD and even if you could, would it be same version on a CD with SP2 or do i have to go find a CD with SP3 Slipstreamed into it?..oh BTW, can i use your post above in the future? Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments