BITS service is missing, how can I get it back?

Anonymous
2013-11-04T01:30:12+00:00

Original Title - BITS service    

BITS service is missing in windows xp how can I get it back, i do not have the orginal cd, help.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-12-12T14:25:13+00:00

Hi Xircal,

The December Patch Tuesday has me plumbing depths of Windows XP I never want to see again.  While exploring the posts in the community, I've found your advice extremely helpful and have managed to get the BITS running again on my venerable Dell XP desktop followed by a successful update of all the security patches.  I've had less success with an installation of XP that I run on a Mac in a VMWare virtual machine.  Until Tuesday, it had run for a couple of years without any problems.  Now, however, BITS is balking.

At first, it didn't exist on the services list,  Employing ElderL's registry fix, I've been able to add BITS to the services list. When I try to start the service, I get an alert stating "Could not start BITS service on Local Computer.  Error 1290: 0x50a." Thinking I need to follow your script to register the service, I started by checking to see that the qmgr.dll file is in the three locations you've listed.  It's not.  Search finds the file only in C:\WINDOWS\system32.  In fact, the folders C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386 and C:\WINDOWS\system32\bits don't exist in my WINDOWS folder.  So I'm stopped when I hit your proviso, "Provided they're all present."  System Properties confirms that I have SP3 installed in a 2002 version of Microsoft Windows XP Professional.

Can you advise me how to proceed?  Thanks in advance.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-11-23T23:50:45+00:00

Thank you for the link ElderL I actually found some help there :)

I was pointed to a Link

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/misc-registry-fixes-for-windows-7-xp-vista/

and it pointed me down to #14 in the list which I did download and run

I did manually go back to the services from the administrative tools and right click to open the properties for BITS and click the start

I have now returned to my Windows Updater and it was able to start and is currently Downloading the updates :)  feeling very optomisic  ATM

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-12-12T15:49:05+00:00

    Hi Xircal,

    The December Patch Tuesday has me plumbing depths of Windows XP I never want to see again.  While exploring the posts in the community, I've found your advice extremely helpful and have managed to get the BITS running again on my venerable Dell XP desktop followed by a successful update of all the security patches.  I've had less success with an installation of XP that I run on a Mac in a VMWare virtual machine.  Until Tuesday, it had run for a couple of years without any problems.  Now, however, BITS is balking.

    At first, it didn't exist on the services list,  Employing ElderL's registry fix, I've been able to add BITS to the services list. When I try to start the service, I get an alert stating "Could not start BITS service on Local Computer.  Error 1290: 0x50a." Thinking I need to follow your script to register the service, I started by checking to see that the qmgr.dll file is in the three locations you've listed.  It's not.  Search finds the file only in C:\WINDOWS\system32.  In fact, the folders C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386 and C:\WINDOWS\system32\bits don't exist in my WINDOWS folder.  So I'm stopped when I hit your proviso, "Provided they're all present."  System Properties confirms that I have SP3 installed in a 2002 version of Microsoft Windows XP Professional.

    Can you advise me how to proceed?  Thanks in advance.

    Hi mc...

    If you only have qmgr.dll in C:\WINDOWS\system32, then do the following.

    Open the system32 folder, right click and choose "New", then "Folder". Rename the folder to bits in lowercase.

    Stay in the system32 folder and find qmgr.dll

    Right click it and choose Copy.

    Go to the bits folder you just created and choose Paste. You should see it appear in there. 

    Close Windows Explorer.

    Go to Start, Run and copy/paste: regsvr32 qmgr.dll and click OK

    Do the same with this file: regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

    Reboot the PC and then copy/paste this command into the Run field:%windir%\System32\rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 %windir%\inf\qmgr.inf

    When you're prompted to insert the Windows installation CD, ignore that and in the dialog box at the bottom, change the path to C:\WINDOWS\system32 and then click OK.

    Reboot again

    Open Services, double click BITS and click the Start button in the General tab.

    If you get an error,  go to Start, Run again and then copy/paste this command and click OK: Reg add HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BITS\Parameters /v ServiceDll /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d %windir%\System32\qmgr.dll

    Reboot once more.

    Go to the Services menu, and try and start BITS again

    If it doesn't start, or if you get another error, go to Run and copy/paste this command next: Reg add HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore\FilesNotToBackup

    Reboot again.

    Try and start BITS once more.

    Providing it starts, go to this link and download the December IE8 update patch using IE: http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=41404

    Choose "Run" when you get the prompt to install it immediately.

    Go to the WUD update site and it should download OK. 

    Don't skip any steps to reboot because you're making changes to the registry. If you don't reboot, they have no effect. 

    Let me know how you get on please.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-11-24T06:56:11+00:00

    New Update :)

    Good news after windows updater installed 96 updates and restart of the pc everything went well and it appears this part of the problem is now fixed :)   *****Does a dance*****

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-11-23T23:58:28+00:00

    Good detective work!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments