BITS service is missing, how can I get it back?

Anonymous
2013-11-04T01:30:12+00:00

Original Title - BITS service    

BITS service is missing in windows xp how can I get it back, i do not have the orginal cd, help.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-12-12T14:25:13+00:00

Hi Xircal,

The December Patch Tuesday has me plumbing depths of Windows XP I never want to see again.  While exploring the posts in the community, I've found your advice extremely helpful and have managed to get the BITS running again on my venerable Dell XP desktop followed by a successful update of all the security patches.  I've had less success with an installation of XP that I run on a Mac in a VMWare virtual machine.  Until Tuesday, it had run for a couple of years without any problems.  Now, however, BITS is balking.

At first, it didn't exist on the services list,  Employing ElderL's registry fix, I've been able to add BITS to the services list. When I try to start the service, I get an alert stating "Could not start BITS service on Local Computer.  Error 1290: 0x50a." Thinking I need to follow your script to register the service, I started by checking to see that the qmgr.dll file is in the three locations you've listed.  It's not.  Search finds the file only in C:\WINDOWS\system32.  In fact, the folders C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386 and C:\WINDOWS\system32\bits don't exist in my WINDOWS folder.  So I'm stopped when I hit your proviso, "Provided they're all present."  System Properties confirms that I have SP3 installed in a 2002 version of Microsoft Windows XP Professional.

Can you advise me how to proceed?  Thanks in advance.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-11-23T23:50:45+00:00

Thank you for the link ElderL I actually found some help there :)

I was pointed to a Link

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/misc-registry-fixes-for-windows-7-xp-vista/

and it pointed me down to #14 in the list which I did download and run

I did manually go back to the services from the administrative tools and right click to open the properties for BITS and click the start

I have now returned to my Windows Updater and it was able to start and is currently Downloading the updates :)  feeling very optomisic  ATM

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-12-15T21:18:55+00:00

    I too try and avoid Fix-It's but as nothing else had worked I got lazy - and discovered a bug!

    I have now managed to test the XP version MS-Fix-It I listed above:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058/en-gb

    And proved it corrupts the XP BITS registry as described!

    Prior to that I installed IE8 plus the October Cumulative Update without any problems with BITS.

    Not only does it rename the service it screws with the Startup Type, Image path, and a few other registry keys - so BITS will no longer start. Trying to start the renamed BITS service fails:

    Could not start the @%SystemRoot%\system32\qmgr.dll,-1000 service on Local Computer

    Error 1290: 0x50a

    So I think that proves that in the process of looking for a fix for the XP Updates problem

    many people - including myself - trashed their BITS setup by using a faulty MS-Fix-It utility.

    Sent a report to Microsoft detailing the problem - now to see if they respond!

    Happy Xmas

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-12-15T07:58:32+00:00

    Look on page 1, r reply number 5 from XP ROCKS! who reported the qmgr,-1001 entry also...

    He did not say how it got that way (if he ran a Fixit).

    Then on Page 2, I had DawnaC query the BITS service from a Command Prompt (some folks get nervous when you mention the registry) and report back the results which did not have the qmgr,-1000, but for some reason was missing the Parameters section.

    Could have been they ran the Fixit before hand (or at least maybe XP ROCKS!).

    I don't use Fixits though :-)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-12-15T05:16:52+00:00

    Interestingly this happened to my XP system after I ran an MS-FixIt back in November

    which was supposed to fix problems with the Windows Update system.

    I did a System Restore to undo the changes and thought no more about it.

     

    But I now wonder if someone at Microsoft screwed up an MS-FixIt.

    The details you see are actually the correct BITS registry entries for Win7

    Win7 uses a newer format for the BITS registry entry than that used by XP.

     

    The Display Name and Description get corrupted to the Win7 versions - but the Service Name remains as BITS

    The entries in the list of services are sorted by the Display Name not the Service Name

    Thus BITS appears but renamed as @%SystemRoot%\System32\qmgr.dll,-1000 

     

    Both XP and Win7 use the same registry key at:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BITS


    If you check the registry entry for the BITS service under Win7 you will see:

    Description :   @%SystemRoot%\System32\qmgr.dll,-1001

    Display Name:   @%SystemRoot%\System32\qmgr.dll,-1000

     

    This is what generates the text you see when you open the Properties page for BITS via Services.msc

    Description :  Transfers files in the background using idle network bandwidth. If the service ........

    Display name:  Background Intelligent Transfer Service

     


    If you now check the registry entries for BITS under WinXP you will see:

    Description :   Transfers files in the background using idle network bandwidth. If the service ........

    Display name:   Background Intelligent Transfer Service

     

    These entries are plain text and are displayed directly in the Services Properties tab page.

     


    It is entirely possible Microsoft have now quietly fixed the XP version of the Windows Update MS-FixIt and are hoping no-one twigs what went wrong! Or it maybe it is still be screwed - anyone fancy testing it?

     

    You know, im suspecting thats what happened with my BITS service also and made it lose files and/or change files. That came to light even more when you mentioned what the BITS service lines looked like in regards to the XP BITS service lines. I run XP also but when my BITS was out, i noticed that qmgr.dll, -1000 in the4 BITS line and i really thought it was some sort of virus. Im also suspecting that that FIX-IT thing also deleted or changed my BITS parameters.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments