BITS service is missing, how can I get it back?

Anonymous
2013-11-04T01:30:12+00:00

Original Title - BITS service    

BITS service is missing in windows xp how can I get it back, i do not have the orginal cd, help.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-12-12T14:25:13+00:00

Hi Xircal,

The December Patch Tuesday has me plumbing depths of Windows XP I never want to see again.  While exploring the posts in the community, I've found your advice extremely helpful and have managed to get the BITS running again on my venerable Dell XP desktop followed by a successful update of all the security patches.  I've had less success with an installation of XP that I run on a Mac in a VMWare virtual machine.  Until Tuesday, it had run for a couple of years without any problems.  Now, however, BITS is balking.

At first, it didn't exist on the services list,  Employing ElderL's registry fix, I've been able to add BITS to the services list. When I try to start the service, I get an alert stating "Could not start BITS service on Local Computer.  Error 1290: 0x50a." Thinking I need to follow your script to register the service, I started by checking to see that the qmgr.dll file is in the three locations you've listed.  It's not.  Search finds the file only in C:\WINDOWS\system32.  In fact, the folders C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386 and C:\WINDOWS\system32\bits don't exist in my WINDOWS folder.  So I'm stopped when I hit your proviso, "Provided they're all present."  System Properties confirms that I have SP3 installed in a 2002 version of Microsoft Windows XP Professional.

Can you advise me how to proceed?  Thanks in advance.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-11-23T23:50:45+00:00

Thank you for the link ElderL I actually found some help there :)

I was pointed to a Link

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/misc-registry-fixes-for-windows-7-xp-vista/

and it pointed me down to #14 in the list which I did download and run

I did manually go back to the services from the administrative tools and right click to open the properties for BITS and click the start

I have now returned to my Windows Updater and it was able to start and is currently Downloading the updates :)  feeling very optomisic  ATM

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-11-20T10:30:43+00:00

    To what two dll files are you referring?

    An error '2' is DOS speak for 'file not found' and if the files are really there there could be another problem.

    Let's see what your registry entry says for BITS.

    Since there is no undo or quit without saving option in the Registry Editor, before messing with the registry, you might want to make a manual System Restore point and backup your registry with this free easy to use tool:

    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/erunt.html

    Then click Start, Run and in the box enter:

    regedit

    Click OK to open the registry editor.

    Clicking the plus signs, drill down and navigate to here:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BITS

    Right click the BITS key, choose Export, name the file something you can remember (like BITS.reg) and save it someplace you can find it, like to your desktop.  Then exit/close regedit without making any changes.

    Locate the exported file, right click, choose Open with and choose Notepad.

    Select all the text (Ctrl-A), copy to the Windows clipboard (Ctrl-C) and then in your next reply, paste the copied text back here (Ctrl-V), then you can close the Notepad.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-11-20T05:04:00+00:00

    Ive been having the same problem with BITS and my BITS query in CMD is exactly the same as the one you posted, however, even though i was able to get BITS to show in services, it still doesnt want to start, either in Automatic or Manual start. I still get the same old message:  "Could not start BITS on Local Computer.  Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified." Both of the dll files that are supposed to be in the system to make BITS start and run ARE in the system32 files. I dunno exactly what the problem seems to be but im about ready to throw this laptop as far as i can throw a rock!

    Also, i THINK BITS might be having something to do with an RPC problem ive been having. I noticed when i put my laptop in 'sleep mode' and after a few hours i wake it back up and i get an error of RPC being terminated unexpectedly and i must reboot the system in order for the network icon in my taskbar to show up in there again. So now ive just been leaving my laptop on and fixed the power settings to not do anything when i close the laptop lid.

    BTW, im on XP SP3.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-11-04T16:57:04+00:00

    Thanks ElderL, that sure sheds more light on the situation.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments