BITS service is missing, how can I get it back?

Anonymous
2013-11-04T01:30:12+00:00

Original Title - BITS service    

BITS service is missing in windows xp how can I get it back, i do not have the orginal cd, help.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-12-12T14:25:13+00:00

Hi Xircal,

The December Patch Tuesday has me plumbing depths of Windows XP I never want to see again.  While exploring the posts in the community, I've found your advice extremely helpful and have managed to get the BITS running again on my venerable Dell XP desktop followed by a successful update of all the security patches.  I've had less success with an installation of XP that I run on a Mac in a VMWare virtual machine.  Until Tuesday, it had run for a couple of years without any problems.  Now, however, BITS is balking.

At first, it didn't exist on the services list,  Employing ElderL's registry fix, I've been able to add BITS to the services list. When I try to start the service, I get an alert stating "Could not start BITS service on Local Computer.  Error 1290: 0x50a." Thinking I need to follow your script to register the service, I started by checking to see that the qmgr.dll file is in the three locations you've listed.  It's not.  Search finds the file only in C:\WINDOWS\system32.  In fact, the folders C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386 and C:\WINDOWS\system32\bits don't exist in my WINDOWS folder.  So I'm stopped when I hit your proviso, "Provided they're all present."  System Properties confirms that I have SP3 installed in a 2002 version of Microsoft Windows XP Professional.

Can you advise me how to proceed?  Thanks in advance.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-11-23T23:50:45+00:00

Thank you for the link ElderL I actually found some help there :)

I was pointed to a Link

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/misc-registry-fixes-for-windows-7-xp-vista/

and it pointed me down to #14 in the list which I did download and run

I did manually go back to the services from the administrative tools and right click to open the properties for BITS and click the start

I have now returned to my Windows Updater and it was able to start and is currently Downloading the updates :)  feeling very optomisic  ATM

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-11-20T23:19:39+00:00

    It will not mess up anything to export.  I just want to see what you have now.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-11-20T22:11:57+00:00

    Will that actually mess up my registry if i export that? I mean will that remove the info from the registry?

    Also, the two files i was referring to is qmgr.dll and qmgrprxy.dll. Both are in system32 on here.

    As far as other antivirus programs actually 'running' on here, there is none, however, i do have the free version of malwarebytes (that doesnt run unless i click on it) and i have the MS safety scanner (which also doesnt run unless i click on it). I ran all of these plus MSE in safe mode a week or so ago and it did locate malware which it removed. After all of this is when MSE stopped updating. Microsoft Update DOES update though so it looks as though the only two problems im finding is with MSE auto updating with the Error 2 and the BITS thing not wanting to start which i THINK might be also affecting the RPC service terminating after awhile when my laptop lid is closed down in stand-by mode. But im not quite sure on that part of things though.

    Im able to manually update MSE fine so far. It does show the newest update versions plus the date created in the update tab after i install the manual update from the MS download website.

    If the export wont do anything to my registry then i will copy and paste what it shows on here.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-11-20T11:07:53+00:00

    BITS service is missing in windows xp how can I get it back, i do not have the orginal cd, help.

    Hi Anna,

    Please do the following.

    First of all, open the Windows Search tool, copy/paste the following and then click Search: qmgr.dll

    Search should show that file in the following locations:

    C:\WINDOWS\system32

    C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386

    C:\WINDOWS\system32\bits

    Provided they're all present, do the following to register the service.

    Go to Start, Run and copy/paste: regsvr32 qmgr.dll and click OK

    Do the same with this file: regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

    Reboot the system and then copy/paste this command into the Run field:

    %windir%\System32\rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 %windir%\inf\qmgr.inf

    If you're prompted to insert the Windows installation CD, ignore that and in the dialog box at the bottom, change the path to C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386

    Restart the PC again and then go to Services and you should be able to see BITS in the list.

    Double click it and then on the General tab, click the Start button to try and start the service manually. This is just a test to ensure that it's working correctly.

    If you get Error 2: cannot find the file specified, go to Start, then Run again and copy/paste the following command and then click OK:

    Reg add HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BITS\Parameters /v ServiceDll /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d %windir%\System32\qmgr.dll

    Reboot again and then try once more to start BITS. It should work properly now, but in the unlikely event that it fails again, run the following command and then hit Enter:

    Reg add HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore\FilesNotToBackup

    Reboot once more and then do the following.

    Go to this link and install the  IE8 cumulative November update:

    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=41074

    Finally, go to the Windows Update site and you should be able to download normally.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments