BITS service is missing, how can I get it back?

Anonymous
2013-11-04T01:30:12+00:00

Original Title - BITS service    

BITS service is missing in windows xp how can I get it back, i do not have the orginal cd, help.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-12-12T14:25:13+00:00

Hi Xircal,

The December Patch Tuesday has me plumbing depths of Windows XP I never want to see again.  While exploring the posts in the community, I've found your advice extremely helpful and have managed to get the BITS running again on my venerable Dell XP desktop followed by a successful update of all the security patches.  I've had less success with an installation of XP that I run on a Mac in a VMWare virtual machine.  Until Tuesday, it had run for a couple of years without any problems.  Now, however, BITS is balking.

At first, it didn't exist on the services list,  Employing ElderL's registry fix, I've been able to add BITS to the services list. When I try to start the service, I get an alert stating "Could not start BITS service on Local Computer.  Error 1290: 0x50a." Thinking I need to follow your script to register the service, I started by checking to see that the qmgr.dll file is in the three locations you've listed.  It's not.  Search finds the file only in C:\WINDOWS\system32.  In fact, the folders C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386 and C:\WINDOWS\system32\bits don't exist in my WINDOWS folder.  So I'm stopped when I hit your proviso, "Provided they're all present."  System Properties confirms that I have SP3 installed in a 2002 version of Microsoft Windows XP Professional.

Can you advise me how to proceed?  Thanks in advance.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-11-23T23:50:45+00:00

Thank you for the link ElderL I actually found some help there :)

I was pointed to a Link

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/misc-registry-fixes-for-windows-7-xp-vista/

and it pointed me down to #14 in the list which I did download and run

I did manually go back to the services from the administrative tools and right click to open the properties for BITS and click the start

I have now returned to my Windows Updater and it was able to start and is currently Downloading the updates :)  feeling very optomisic  ATM

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-11-21T01:37:05+00:00

    Ok, so basically adding that will not hurt my registry?

    Ok, i added that .reg file exactly as specified:

    Heres a import of the new BIT file info i got when i rebooted and went to services:

    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BITS]

    "Type"=dword:00000020

    "Start"=dword:00000003

    "ErrorControl"=dword:00000001

    "ImagePath"=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,\

      74,00,25,00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,73,\

      00,76,00,63,00,68,00,6f,00,73,00,74,00,2e,00,65,00,78,00,65,00,20,00,2d,00,\

      6b,00,20,00,6e,00,65,00,74,00,73,00,76,00,63,00,73,00,00,00

    "DisplayName"="Background Intelligent Transfer Service"

    "DependOnService"=hex(7):52,00,70,00,63,00,53,00,73,00,00,00,00,00

    "DependOnGroup"=hex(7):00,00,00,00

    "ObjectName"="LocalSystem"

    "Description"="Transfers files in the background using idle network bandwidth. If the service is stopped, features such as Windows Update, and MSN Explorer will be unable to automatically download programs and other information. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it may fail to transfer files if they do not have a fail safe mechanism to transfer files directly through IE in case BITS has been disabled."

    "FailureActions"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,03,00,00,00,68,e3,00,\

      00,01,00,00,00,60,ea,00,00,01,00,00,00,60,ea,00,00,01,00,00,00,60,ea,00,00

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BITS\Parameters]

    "ServiceDll"=hex(2):43,00,3a,00,5c,00,57,00,49,00,4e,00,44,00,4f,00,57,00,53,\

      00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,71,00,6d,00,\

      67,00,72,00,2e,00,64,00,6c,00,6c,00,00,00

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BITS\Security]

    "Security"=hex:01,00,14,80,90,00,00,00,9c,00,00,00,14,00,00,00,30,00,00,00,02,\

      00,1c,00,01,00,00,00,02,80,14,00,ff,01,0f,00,01,01,00,00,00,00,00,01,00,00,\

      00,00,02,00,60,00,04,00,00,00,00,00,14,00,fd,01,02,00,01,01,00,00,00,00,00,\

      05,12,00,00,00,00,00,18,00,ff,01,0f,00,01,02,00,00,00,00,00,05,20,00,00,00,\

      20,02,00,00,00,00,14,00,8d,01,02,00,01,01,00,00,00,00,00,05,0b,00,00,00,00,\

      00,18,00,fd,01,02,00,01,02,00,00,00,00,00,05,20,00,00,00,23,02,00,00,01,01,\

      00,00,00,00,00,05,12,00,00,00,01,01,00,00,00,00,00,05,12,00,00,00

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BITS\Enum]

    "0"="Root\LEGACY_BITS\0000"

    "Count"=dword:00000001

    "NextInstance"=dword:00000001

    and its also now showing "parameters" in the left panel of regedit for BITS, whereas, it didnt show parameters before i entered the fix. Now, it shows three categories, ENUM, PARAMETERS and SECURITY.

    Heres what it shows there under parameters:

    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BITS\Parameters]

    "ServiceDll"=hex(2):43,00,3a,00,5c,00,57,00,49,00,4e,00,44,00,4f,00,57,00,53,\

      00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,71,00,6d,00,\

      67,00,72,00,2e,00,64,00,6c,00,6c,00,00,00

    As of now it shows as being started and is set on 'Automatic'. Will it hurt to reset it on 'Manual' so that it starts up when it needs to?

    Also, just out of curiousity, does NOT having BITS running also affect RPC?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-11-21T00:54:26+00:00

    Your export shows that your BITS Service is missing the 'Parameters' section and how it got that way I have no idea.

    I used your file and imported it into my registry and trying to start BITS also got the error '2' so was able to reproduce the problem (this is why I wanted to see what you had).

    Looking back earlier in this topic is the advice to create a registry import file that will 'reload' the BITS Service registry section.  Since importing your stuff showed me the same problem you are seeing, I followed that advice (copied in below) and now the BITS Service will start:

    Before making any changes to your registry you may want to manually create a new Restore Point and make a copy of your registry with this popular free tool:

    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/erunt.html

    Open Notepad (and only Notepad) to create a new text file:

    Click Start, Run and in the box enter:

    notepad

    Click OK to open a new Notepad file.

    Copy and paste the following lines of BOLD text into the new Notepad file:

    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BITS]"Type"=dword:00000020"Start"=dword:00000003"ErrorControl"=dword:00000001"ImagePath"=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,\  74,00,25,00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,73,\  00,76,00,63,00,68,00,6f,00,73,00,74,00,2e,00,65,00,78,00,65,00,20,00,2d,00,\  6b,00,20,00,6e,00,65,00,74,00,73,00,76,00,63,00,73,00,00,00"DisplayName"="Background Intelligent Transfer Service""DependOnService"=hex(7):52,00,70,00,63,00,53,00,73,00,00,00,00,00"DependOnGroup"=hex(7):00,00,00,00"ObjectName"="LocalSystem""Description"="Transfers files in the background using idle network bandwidth. If the service is stopped, features such as Windows Update, and MSN Explorer will be unable to automatically download programs and other information. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it may fail to transfer files if they do not have a fail safe mechanism to transfer files directly through IE in case BITS has been disabled.""FailureActions"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,03,00,00,00,68,e3,00,\  00,01,00,00,00,60,ea,00,00,01,00,00,00,60,ea,00,00,01,00,00,00,60,ea,00,00[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BITS\Parameters]"ServiceDll"=hex(2):25,00,77,00,69,00,6e,00,64,00,69,00,72,00,25,00,5c,00,73,\  00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,71,00,6d,00,67,00,72,00,\  2e,00,64,00,6c,00,6c,00,00,00[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BITS\Security]"Security"=hex:01,00,14,80,90,00,00,00,9c,00,00,00,14,00,00,00,30,00,00,00,02,\  00,1c,00,01,00,00,00,02,80,14,00,ff,01,0f,00,01,01,00,00,00,00,00,01,00,00,\  00,00,02,00,60,00,04,00,00,00,00,00,14,00,fd,01,02,00,01,01,00,00,00,00,00,\  05,12,00,00,00,00,00,18,00,ff,01,0f,00,01,02,00,00,00,00,00,05,20,00,00,00,\  20,02,00,00,00,00,14,00,8d,01,02,00,01,01,00,00,00,00,00,05,0b,00,00,00,00,\  00,18,00,fd,01,02,00,01,02,00,00,00,00,00,05,20,00,00,00,23,02,00,00,01,01,\  00,00,00,00,00,05,12,00,00,00,01,01,00,00,00,00,00,05,12,00,00,00[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BITS\Enum]"0"="Root\LEGACY_BITS\0000""Count"=dword:00000001"NextInstance"=dword:00000001

    Save the new text file with a .reg extension to your desktop or someplace you can remember with a name you can remember, something like:

    fixbits.reg

    After saving the file, close notepad.

    Locate the fixbits.reg file on your desktop and double click it.

    Alternatively, you can right click the fixbits.reg file, choose Merge or Open With... and select the Registry Editor or Import.

    Respond in the affirmative to the question... Are you sure you want to add the information to the registry?

    You should then see a message that the information was successfully entered into the registry.

    Reboot your system and test to be sure the changes "stick" and see if the BITS Service is now listed and if it will Start (if it isn't already running).

    You can remove the fixbits.reg file when you are done.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-11-21T00:34:31+00:00

    Ok, here you go:

    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BITS]

    "Type"=dword:00000020

    "Start"=dword:00000003

    "ErrorControl"=dword:00000001

    "ImagePath"=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,\

      74,00,25,00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,73,\

      00,76,00,63,00,68,00,6f,00,73,00,74,00,2e,00,65,00,78,00,65,00,20,00,2d,00,\

      6b,00,20,00,6e,00,65,00,74,00,73,00,76,00,63,00,73,00,00,00

    "DisplayName"="Background Intelligent Transfer Service"

    "DependOnService"=hex(7):52,00,70,00,63,00,53,00,73,00,00,00,00,00

    "DependOnGroup"=hex(7):00,00

    "ObjectName"="LocalSystem"

    "Description"="Transfers data between clients and servers in the background. If BITS is disabled, features such as Windows Update will not work correctly."

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BITS\Security]

    "Security"=hex:01,00,14,80,90,00,00,00,9c,00,00,00,14,00,00,00,30,00,00,00,02,\

      00,1c,00,01,00,00,00,02,80,14,00,ff,01,0f,00,01,01,00,00,00,00,00,01,00,00,\

      00,00,02,00,60,00,04,00,00,00,00,00,14,00,fd,01,02,00,01,01,00,00,00,00,00,\

      05,12,00,00,00,00,00,18,00,ff,01,0f,00,01,02,00,00,00,00,00,05,20,00,00,00,\

      20,02,00,00,00,00,14,00,8d,01,02,00,01,01,00,00,00,00,00,05,0b,00,00,00,00,\

      00,18,00,fd,01,02,00,01,02,00,00,00,00,00,05,20,00,00,00,23,02,00,00,01,01,\

      00,00,00,00,00,05,12,00,00,00,01,01,00,00,00,00,00,05,12,00,00,00

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BITS\Enum]

    "0"="Root\LEGACY_BITS\0000"

    "Count"=dword:00000001

    "NextInstance"=dword:00000001

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments