BITS service is missing, how can I get it back?

Anonymous
2013-11-04T01:30:12+00:00

Original Title - BITS service    

BITS service is missing in windows xp how can I get it back, i do not have the orginal cd, help.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-12-12T14:25:13+00:00

Hi Xircal,

The December Patch Tuesday has me plumbing depths of Windows XP I never want to see again.  While exploring the posts in the community, I've found your advice extremely helpful and have managed to get the BITS running again on my venerable Dell XP desktop followed by a successful update of all the security patches.  I've had less success with an installation of XP that I run on a Mac in a VMWare virtual machine.  Until Tuesday, it had run for a couple of years without any problems.  Now, however, BITS is balking.

At first, it didn't exist on the services list,  Employing ElderL's registry fix, I've been able to add BITS to the services list. When I try to start the service, I get an alert stating "Could not start BITS service on Local Computer.  Error 1290: 0x50a." Thinking I need to follow your script to register the service, I started by checking to see that the qmgr.dll file is in the three locations you've listed.  It's not.  Search finds the file only in C:\WINDOWS\system32.  In fact, the folders C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386 and C:\WINDOWS\system32\bits don't exist in my WINDOWS folder.  So I'm stopped when I hit your proviso, "Provided they're all present."  System Properties confirms that I have SP3 installed in a 2002 version of Microsoft Windows XP Professional.

Can you advise me how to proceed?  Thanks in advance.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-11-23T23:50:45+00:00

Thank you for the link ElderL I actually found some help there :)

I was pointed to a Link

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/misc-registry-fixes-for-windows-7-xp-vista/

and it pointed me down to #14 in the list which I did download and run

I did manually go back to the services from the administrative tools and right click to open the properties for BITS and click the start

I have now returned to my Windows Updater and it was able to start and is currently Downloading the updates :)  feeling very optomisic  ATM

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-12-23T22:21:25+00:00

    So you actually did the math and it's definitely .03%? 

    Sheeesh and they deny working for Microsoft?

    Just incredible.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-12-23T22:13:16+00:00

    Simply eyeballing the alleged registry import reply (marked as the "Answer" by a MS Answers Microsoft engaged "expert") of any Service that has a 'Description' of this:

    Description"="@%SystemRoot%\system32\qmgr.dll,-1001"

    "FailureActions"=hex(0):00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,03,00,00,00,68,e3,\

      0c,00,01,00,00,00,60,ea,00,00,01,00,00,00,60,ea,00,00,01,00,00,00,60,ea,00,\

      00

    Should tell you immediately that something is horribly wrong (for XP).  Yes...  it imports just fine but does it work?  You try it.  I already have.

    I don't know what the registry import is for, but it ain't for XP.

    The reply was marked as the "Answer" by an alleged MS Answers Forum Moderator "expert" and when I was calculating over one thousand replies from MS Answers engaged "experts" that are marked as the "Answer" (mostly by their cronies) I found that they are correct or might work sometimes maybe to be a mere .03% of the time - that is less than one percent - a dismal conversion ratio.  And these are the Microsoft engaged MS Answers "experts".  I would be retrained, reassigned or fired if my numbers were that low.  They don't recreate problems, test anything and it is my belief that they just mark for points/credits/quotas...  it doesn't matter if it works or if it is right.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-12-23T20:14:59+00:00

    It would be helpful to find the posts and thread where it was described specifically that the 3 incorrect values were causing a problem that was being reported fixed by the manual regedit removal of the 3 incorrect entries.  So the further debate about this will have to await finding those posts which I am certain I did read.  You seem to be overly sensitive about this and I have no dog in this fight because I never had the BITS issue to contend with on this install, but how I avoided it or what caused it on other abandoned installs I have never identified.  However, based upon my recollection about those 3 values being reported to be an issue and the removal of those 3 values described, I reasonably conclude that at least for some users it was a problem.   500 million I don't know what is the number of XP users having issues with windows updates or what is the distribution of error types. I can only guess based upon what has been posted mainly in this group.  And based on that I don't think it is an obscure problem that only has affected a small minority of cognitvely challenged users who are born complainers inventing problems about which to gripe.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments