BITS service is missing, how can I get it back?

Anonymous
2013-11-04T01:30:12+00:00

Original Title - BITS service    

BITS service is missing in windows xp how can I get it back, i do not have the orginal cd, help.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-12-12T14:25:13+00:00

Hi Xircal,

The December Patch Tuesday has me plumbing depths of Windows XP I never want to see again.  While exploring the posts in the community, I've found your advice extremely helpful and have managed to get the BITS running again on my venerable Dell XP desktop followed by a successful update of all the security patches.  I've had less success with an installation of XP that I run on a Mac in a VMWare virtual machine.  Until Tuesday, it had run for a couple of years without any problems.  Now, however, BITS is balking.

At first, it didn't exist on the services list,  Employing ElderL's registry fix, I've been able to add BITS to the services list. When I try to start the service, I get an alert stating "Could not start BITS service on Local Computer.  Error 1290: 0x50a." Thinking I need to follow your script to register the service, I started by checking to see that the qmgr.dll file is in the three locations you've listed.  It's not.  Search finds the file only in C:\WINDOWS\system32.  In fact, the folders C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386 and C:\WINDOWS\system32\bits don't exist in my WINDOWS folder.  So I'm stopped when I hit your proviso, "Provided they're all present."  System Properties confirms that I have SP3 installed in a 2002 version of Microsoft Windows XP Professional.

Can you advise me how to proceed?  Thanks in advance.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-11-23T23:50:45+00:00

Thank you for the link ElderL I actually found some help there :)

I was pointed to a Link

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/misc-registry-fixes-for-windows-7-xp-vista/

and it pointed me down to #14 in the list which I did download and run

I did manually go back to the services from the administrative tools and right click to open the properties for BITS and click the start

I have now returned to my Windows Updater and it was able to start and is currently Downloading the updates :)  feeling very optomisic  ATM

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-12-18T07:27:31+00:00

    Thanks for the additional info.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-12-18T04:45:54+00:00

    Look on page 1, r reply number 5 from XP ROCKS! who reported the qmgr,-1001 entry also...

    He did not say how it got that way (if he ran a Fixit).

    Then on Page 2, I had DawnaC query the BITS service from a Command Prompt (some folks get nervous when you mention the registry) and report back the results which did not have the qmgr,-1000, but for some reason was missing the Parameters section.

    Could have been they ran the Fixit before hand (or at least maybe XP ROCKS!).

    I don't use Fixits though :-)

    Hi Elder,

    Actually i had already reinstalled BITS from the qmgr.inf file that was already in my system files when that qmgr.exe -1000 was in there. After i reinstalled then the -1000 thing went away. After that is when i was missing the params. Before i reinstalled BITS and had that -1000 thing in there i had run that WU Fixit from MS and it screwed everything up, however, at the time i just thought that a virus that i had missed screwed it up. Ill know next time how much to trust things from MS.  :-S

    It was some malware that i got in my computer somehow that started it all.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-12-16T12:20:56+00:00

    Santas elves just love it when a plan comes together :-)

     

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axb2sHpGwHQ

     

     

    Nooooooooo... not The Beatles. :(

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments