How to Disable “Update to Windows 8.1 for Free” Notification in Windows 8 Store?

Anonymous
2013-12-26T04:49:35+00:00

Description


If you are tired of seeing “Update to Windows 8.1 for Free” notification then it’s time to disable it. Get rid of these regular prompts to upgrade to Windows 8.1 for free.

![](http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-geuKqPzWdgc/Uql_hridYiI/AAAAAAAAC1Q/6CYMmhxvWtg/s400/Windows-1.png)

Solution:

There are two ways to disable "Update to Windows 8.1 for Free" notification message in Windows 8:

Method 1: Using Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc)

  1. Press “WIN+R” keys together to launch RUN dialog box and type “gpedit.msc.” Then press “Enter.”
  2. “Group Policy Editor” gets open.
  3. Go to: 

Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Store

  1. On the right-side pane, double-click “Turn off the offer to update to the latest version of Windows" option and set its value to "Enabled".

![](http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ZX1Ep0wpWUk/Uql_ytpTZsI/AAAAAAAAC1Y/99UY_iXwN6M/s400/Windows-2.png)

It will disable the Windows 8.1 free update installation notifications.

Method 2: Using Registry Editor (regedit)

You can do the same thing using Registry Editor instead of Group Policy Editor. Follow the below steps:

  1. Launch RUN dialog box by pressing “WIN+R” and type “regedit” and press “Enter”.
  2. “Registry Editor” gets open.
  3. Go to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsStore

If you don’t find the above key then create it manually.

  1. Choose “WindowsStore” key and in right-side pane, create a new DWORD DisableOSUpgrade and set its value to 1.

![](http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-dBzZ-eYVtpU/UqmAIWtDrOI/AAAAAAAAC1g/T7DNhT9bV_w/s400/Windows-3.png)

5.       Now, close “Registry Editor” and log off or restart Windows.

Congrats, you have successfully disabled those notifications

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Microsoft Store

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-05-25T16:40:03+00:00

    Here's why.  The update is not ready to go live.  it corrupted my drivers and I could not connect to the internet afterwards.   So had to drive 20 miles to my office where I could connect and spent 6 hours on the phone with Dell trying to download drivers and they would not download successfully.  Wound up doing a system restore which took 90 minutes. 

    why on earth would you recommend the update when the whole world is having massive problems due to these 8.1 updates.   Read the news.  Andm my update was forced, I had  no option, which really sucks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-06-24T12:46:22+00:00

    In some cases I don't think you can use 8.1.  I have a Vaio laptop I bought several years ago.  I upgraded it from windows vista to windows 8 when it crashed.  For some reason it doesn't accept the 8.1 upgrade, maybe because its a bit old and out of date, I don't know.  If you happen to have an answer as to what I might be missing, please share.  Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-06-24T13:16:21+00:00

    You can, you just need the specific Sony update before you install the Windows update.  I learned this on my Sony system the hard way, because I didn't check the manufacturer's instructions prior to updating (who would?)

    Anyway the Sony  Care Update app they talk about here was what helped me get fully updated on my Sony:

    http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/support-info.pl?info\_id=1379

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-12-04T20:23:09+00:00

    Windows 8.1 sucks I tired it for a few days and it just sucks, I was upset about 8 but I got use to the layout, I did not like vista or 7 they just were not all that compared to XP, who cares if this is the present upgrading does not mean better, if it did Obamacare would have been awesome on the first day, not to mention its website.

     I have bought Windows and if you want me to upgrade so badly don't force it on me make it free and I will try it if I don't like it than that is my choice and I should be able to go back to 10 or 8 and keep using it without forced upgrades.

    FUN FACT

    No matter the specs as long as it runs smoothly it should run perfectly...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO7\_xFToEAI

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2016-12-15T10:01:54+00:00

    I like both 8.1 and love 10. I the case of ASUS 1215N netbook - it shipped with 7 and a driver for its ION graphics chip from Nvidia. Microsoft provided an update NVIDIA ION (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM v1.2) for Windows 8 but nothing for Windows 8.1 or 10. with out a driver the netbook looses a lot of functionality. So it seems 8 is as far as I can go.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments