How to Disable “Update to Windows 8.1 for Free” Notification in Windows 8 Store?

Anonymous
2013-12-26T04:49:35+00:00

Description


If you are tired of seeing “Update to Windows 8.1 for Free” notification then it’s time to disable it. Get rid of these regular prompts to upgrade to Windows 8.1 for free.

![](http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-geuKqPzWdgc/Uql_hridYiI/AAAAAAAAC1Q/6CYMmhxvWtg/s400/Windows-1.png)

Solution:

There are two ways to disable "Update to Windows 8.1 for Free" notification message in Windows 8:

Method 1: Using Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc)

  1. Press “WIN+R” keys together to launch RUN dialog box and type “gpedit.msc.” Then press “Enter.”
  2. “Group Policy Editor” gets open.
  3. Go to: 

Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Store

  1. On the right-side pane, double-click “Turn off the offer to update to the latest version of Windows" option and set its value to "Enabled".

![](http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ZX1Ep0wpWUk/Uql_ytpTZsI/AAAAAAAAC1Y/99UY_iXwN6M/s400/Windows-2.png)

It will disable the Windows 8.1 free update installation notifications.

Method 2: Using Registry Editor (regedit)

You can do the same thing using Registry Editor instead of Group Policy Editor. Follow the below steps:

  1. Launch RUN dialog box by pressing “WIN+R” and type “regedit” and press “Enter”.
  2. “Registry Editor” gets open.
  3. Go to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsStore

If you don’t find the above key then create it manually.

  1. Choose “WindowsStore” key and in right-side pane, create a new DWORD DisableOSUpgrade and set its value to 1.

![](http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-dBzZ-eYVtpU/UqmAIWtDrOI/AAAAAAAAC1g/T7DNhT9bV_w/s400/Windows-3.png)

5.       Now, close “Registry Editor” and log off or restart Windows.

Congrats, you have successfully disabled those notifications

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Microsoft Store

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-10-29T11:47:43+00:00

    You can do that, you don't have to login with your hotmail account at all. Who lied to you and said you did. 8.1, just like the last 30 years, still allows any login you want.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-10-30T05:45:51+00:00

    Please explain how to log on to one drive without changing my computer login. When I open one drive it asks me to log in with a Microsoft account.

    Then it wants me to switch to a Microsoft account for my password. What is the work around.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-10-30T08:26:06+00:00

    Please explain how to log on to one drive without changing my computer login. When I open one drive it asks me to log in with a Microsoft account.

    Then it wants me to switch to a Microsoft account for my password. What is the work around.

    The only way I know of doing this (besides creating a 2nd user account on your PC) is to use the web version onedrive.com and log in with the alternate account there. You can drag and drop files from your PC right to the browser window...you just can't do the automatic sync.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-10-30T11:24:43+00:00

    Woah Woah Woah... You said you "feel sending information across air waves were anyone can intercept is not as secure as a land line."

    so I assumed you have no desire to ever login to OneDrive. Doing it separately or with your login both still require sending your password over the web.

    If you don't want to send your Microsoft password over your connection, then you can continue using a local account like the past 30 years.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-10-30T14:33:02+00:00

    What I want is my financial data on my home computer not to have the same password as my windows phone. I want to take pictures of events and people with my windows phone and have them automatically sent to one drive. I then wish to download them to my computer and external hard drive at home. I want to take those documents that I choose onto the one drive and use them on my phone. This is the reason I purchased a Windows phone. But without reservation I do not wish the password for my home computer and Windows phone to be the same password. I save IRS documents and financial data on my home computer and think it is wise to have a different password than my Windows phone. To do this I must stay with W8 and not upgrade to 8.1. If Microsoft decides to allow me as a purchaser of their product to make my own decision in this matter then I will upgrade to whatever update allows me that personal decision.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments