How to Disable “Update to Windows 8.1 for Free” Notification in Windows 8 Store?

Anonymous
2013-12-26T04:49:35+00:00

Description


If you are tired of seeing “Update to Windows 8.1 for Free” notification then it’s time to disable it. Get rid of these regular prompts to upgrade to Windows 8.1 for free.

![](http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-geuKqPzWdgc/Uql_hridYiI/AAAAAAAAC1Q/6CYMmhxvWtg/s400/Windows-1.png)

Solution:

There are two ways to disable "Update to Windows 8.1 for Free" notification message in Windows 8:

Method 1: Using Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc)

  1. Press “WIN+R” keys together to launch RUN dialog box and type “gpedit.msc.” Then press “Enter.”
  2. “Group Policy Editor” gets open.
  3. Go to: 

Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Store

  1. On the right-side pane, double-click “Turn off the offer to update to the latest version of Windows" option and set its value to "Enabled".

![](http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ZX1Ep0wpWUk/Uql_ytpTZsI/AAAAAAAAC1Y/99UY_iXwN6M/s400/Windows-2.png)

It will disable the Windows 8.1 free update installation notifications.

Method 2: Using Registry Editor (regedit)

You can do the same thing using Registry Editor instead of Group Policy Editor. Follow the below steps:

  1. Launch RUN dialog box by pressing “WIN+R” and type “regedit” and press “Enter”.
  2. “Registry Editor” gets open.
  3. Go to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsStore

If you don’t find the above key then create it manually.

  1. Choose “WindowsStore” key and in right-side pane, create a new DWORD DisableOSUpgrade and set its value to 1.

![](http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-dBzZ-eYVtpU/UqmAIWtDrOI/AAAAAAAAC1g/T7DNhT9bV_w/s400/Windows-3.png)

5.       Now, close “Registry Editor” and log off or restart Windows.

Congrats, you have successfully disabled those notifications

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Microsoft Store

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-02-18T15:53:16+00:00

    It doesn't force you to use a Microsoft account either, just click the "no thanks I don't want it" button:

    I don't even know what you're talking about "Microsoft making" something out of "window sliding" lol.  There's no advertisements in Windows.  Everything you mentioned is just flat out wrong.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-02-18T03:59:23+00:00

    Windows 8.1 comes with a yet unsolved mouse disfunction. My Cursor randomly jumps to the top of the screen, which is extremely annoying when I am playing. On google I found many people who had the same problem. All drivers of mine are up to date. Windows has not a solution to this problem.

    To be forced to change the operating system to a flawed one is ******* bad.

    With such a major flaw I do not benefit from this operating system, no matter how fast it is.

    As soon as there is a working, new operating system I will gladly change to that one. (Windows X)

    Hate to break it to you but this is strictly a driver issue and up to the mouse manufacturer to come up with a fix.  I have a logitech, microsoft and gearhead that work perfectly on 8. Got a cheap knockoff and it displayed the behavior you mentioned.

    I switched to the built in drivers and the problem went away.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-02-18T01:58:24+00:00

    I upgraded and it took my cp forever to start up .not to mention it forces you to make a Microsoft account. and other junk you don't want. spy city. yahoo has become a joke like so many others .if I wanted the **** on my pc I would download it my self. its bad when you look for something and than adds start popping up at what you were looking for. now Microsoft wants to upload web sites you visit to make them better good one. and the windows sliding is the biggest give away of all. how much does Microsoft make off it. bloat ware. so keep 8.1 I don't want it. and the **** they posted to fix this is a joke. doesn't work . the internet is slowly gonna die out. people are getting tired of all the spyware and advertisements. 3 gigs to update is a lot more then just making something better. whats hidden. . my cp ran faster when I had xp .

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-01-23T21:15:33+00:00

    Well I remember reading your comment man. I updated to 8.1 and I was hating myself for doing so after it.

    Basically after having installed 8.1:

    • My Pc took longer to switch on
    • It asked me to register online.
    • It offered me (or forced me sort of) into installing some cloud that I do not need
    • my games were slower such as War Thunder
    • Blutooth did not work anymore.

    I basically formatted it after a few months (to the point where I was going to sell my PC), reinstalled Win 8.0 and I am quite happy to have found back speed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-12-03T17:56:19+00:00

    None of our computers in our labs or deployed here do that. What model do you have?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments