How to Disable “Update to Windows 8.1 for Free” Notification in Windows 8 Store?

Anonymous
2013-12-26T04:49:35+00:00

Description


If you are tired of seeing “Update to Windows 8.1 for Free” notification then it’s time to disable it. Get rid of these regular prompts to upgrade to Windows 8.1 for free.

![](http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-geuKqPzWdgc/Uql_hridYiI/AAAAAAAAC1Q/6CYMmhxvWtg/s400/Windows-1.png)

Solution:

There are two ways to disable "Update to Windows 8.1 for Free" notification message in Windows 8:

Method 1: Using Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc)

  1. Press “WIN+R” keys together to launch RUN dialog box and type “gpedit.msc.” Then press “Enter.”
  2. “Group Policy Editor” gets open.
  3. Go to: 

Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Store

  1. On the right-side pane, double-click “Turn off the offer to update to the latest version of Windows" option and set its value to "Enabled".

![](http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ZX1Ep0wpWUk/Uql_ytpTZsI/AAAAAAAAC1Y/99UY_iXwN6M/s400/Windows-2.png)

It will disable the Windows 8.1 free update installation notifications.

Method 2: Using Registry Editor (regedit)

You can do the same thing using Registry Editor instead of Group Policy Editor. Follow the below steps:

  1. Launch RUN dialog box by pressing “WIN+R” and type “regedit” and press “Enter”.
  2. “Registry Editor” gets open.
  3. Go to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsStore

If you don’t find the above key then create it manually.

  1. Choose “WindowsStore” key and in right-side pane, create a new DWORD DisableOSUpgrade and set its value to 1.

![](http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-dBzZ-eYVtpU/UqmAIWtDrOI/AAAAAAAAC1g/T7DNhT9bV_w/s400/Windows-3.png)

5.       Now, close “Registry Editor” and log off or restart Windows.

Congrats, you have successfully disabled those notifications

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Microsoft Store

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-04-22T13:44:53+00:00

    I understand that's a headache and unfortunate to have that happen, but the solution isn't to avoid it.  Fix what crashed (or caused it) so you can get fully updated and patched. I and many others will be glad to help you with whatever obstacles you have, but please post a fresh thread so we can give you direct attention.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-04-22T08:13:19+00:00

    also it forced the update on me

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-04-22T08:10:48+00:00

    the last time my OS updated to 8.1 it crashed and I lost everything; and im a graphic designer so you could imagine the headache it was for me

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-04-21T03:58:24+00:00

    When upgrade happens I can't access my MS account, after repeated attempts at password changes I,m locked out even though I know I entered correct password I,ve upgraded twice and had same problem. Each time I went back to 8.0 where I am content with no problems

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-04-21T02:34:12+00:00

    I have a windows 8.1 So why would I want 2?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments