How to Disable “Update to Windows 8.1 for Free” Notification in Windows 8 Store?

Anonymous
2013-12-26T04:49:35+00:00

Description


If you are tired of seeing “Update to Windows 8.1 for Free” notification then it’s time to disable it. Get rid of these regular prompts to upgrade to Windows 8.1 for free.

![](http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-geuKqPzWdgc/Uql_hridYiI/AAAAAAAAC1Q/6CYMmhxvWtg/s400/Windows-1.png)

Solution:

There are two ways to disable "Update to Windows 8.1 for Free" notification message in Windows 8:

Method 1: Using Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc)

  1. Press “WIN+R” keys together to launch RUN dialog box and type “gpedit.msc.” Then press “Enter.”
  2. “Group Policy Editor” gets open.
  3. Go to: 

Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Store

  1. On the right-side pane, double-click “Turn off the offer to update to the latest version of Windows" option and set its value to "Enabled".

![](http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ZX1Ep0wpWUk/Uql_ytpTZsI/AAAAAAAAC1Y/99UY_iXwN6M/s400/Windows-2.png)

It will disable the Windows 8.1 free update installation notifications.

Method 2: Using Registry Editor (regedit)

You can do the same thing using Registry Editor instead of Group Policy Editor. Follow the below steps:

  1. Launch RUN dialog box by pressing “WIN+R” and type “regedit” and press “Enter”.
  2. “Registry Editor” gets open.
  3. Go to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsStore

If you don’t find the above key then create it manually.

  1. Choose “WindowsStore” key and in right-side pane, create a new DWORD DisableOSUpgrade and set its value to 1.

![](http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-dBzZ-eYVtpU/UqmAIWtDrOI/AAAAAAAAC1g/T7DNhT9bV_w/s400/Windows-3.png)

5.       Now, close “Registry Editor” and log off or restart Windows.

Congrats, you have successfully disabled those notifications

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Microsoft Store

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-06-24T12:46:22+00:00

    In some cases I don't think you can use 8.1.  I have a Vaio laptop I bought several years ago.  I upgraded it from windows vista to windows 8 when it crashed.  For some reason it doesn't accept the 8.1 upgrade, maybe because its a bit old and out of date, I don't know.  If you happen to have an answer as to what I might be missing, please share.  Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-05-25T16:40:03+00:00

    Here's why.  The update is not ready to go live.  it corrupted my drivers and I could not connect to the internet afterwards.   So had to drive 20 miles to my office where I could connect and spent 6 hours on the phone with Dell trying to download drivers and they would not download successfully.  Wound up doing a system restore which took 90 minutes. 

    why on earth would you recommend the update when the whole world is having massive problems due to these 8.1 updates.   Read the news.  Andm my update was forced, I had  no option, which really sucks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-05-20T18:24:15+00:00

    Because Windows 8.1 and IE11 both are junk.  Mircrosoft  blames everything on bad PC - corrupt files - or some other bull. All I have is Windows 8 (came on PC) and nothing else. Upgraded to windows 8.1 and everything would either freeze or just quit working. Windows 8 was fine. Contact Microsoft and was told go to EDIT GROUP POLICY  My windows 8 don't have it. Things they tell me to do is not found on my Windows 8. Must have Windows 8 Pro or RT or whatever.. I must have just the Home Version because it won't do **** not even be responsive to Microsoft's upgrade to Windows 8.1.  So we had to restore to factory settings to get 8.1 off. Now I find out not only is Windows 8.1 junk  but I can't even stop it from downloading automatically. We have tried all the ways they say ..We have to keep shutting PC off when it starts upgrading... JUNK__JUNK___JUNK

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-05-19T18:24:07+00:00

    Good news, they make the professional edition for people who want that control.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-05-19T18:11:59+00:00

    why on earth would I do that or want that?   because it is not working.  Is that simple enough for you?  I don't care about memory issues. I have enough memory for you and three other users.. I do not like anything that over rules my wants.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments