Samsung Ativ Tab 3 power button not working, device battery always at 0%

Anonymous
2013-10-16T12:00:54+00:00

I am writing to you regarding a Samsung Ativ Tab 3 that I recently bought.

The item was purchased on 26-September-13, model no. is XE300TZC-K01AE. On 3-October-13 morning, I noticed that the screen was frozen and not unlocking when pressing the power button. After pressing the Windows button below the screen, the login screen came up and I was able to log in to Windows. On the home page, noticed that battery was at 0%, although there was about 45% charge around 7 hours back. I connected the charger, but the battery was drained by then and the device powered down. Though the charger was connected, the blue light was not on and also the device was not powering up. The charger was kept connected till 4 PM, but the device was still not powering up. After several calls and discussion with Samsung, the device was sent to a service center for repair and received on 10-Oct.

The device was working absolutely fine again, till yesterday evening. Again, the device froze and power key was not working and Windows button was used to unlock the screen after several attempts. Battery was showing 0% despite having 78% charge just fifteen minutes previously. On connecting the charger, battery charge was still at 0% but not increasing. Luckily this time the device did not shut down, but after 3 hrs of connecting the charger, battery has still been at 0%. I would like to know any suggestions to help solve this problem. I tried restarting the APC Battery Controller in Device Manager, but there was no improvement. I am also attaching results of the powercfg command.

Rgds,

Amrith

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-04-18T05:59:50+00:00

2 days later....the solution seems to be to just keep it going & not plugged in til the battery empties (backing important stuff up meanwhile). From the fact that it took several days, I gather the "battery 0" warning is part of the misfunction. During this time you can sleep it manually w the "power off" control on the charms bar, being careful not to turn it off (cos then you wont know if the battery's emptied yet), and turn it on w the home key.

Once the battery is totally empty (no reponse of home key, little blue light by power button off), you plug it in and it works.

My guess is this explains what happened previously when I (& others I read) sent it for repair. By the time it got to the workshop the battery had emptied, so they plugged it in, found it worked, & returned it with a message like "you must have forgotten to charge it", missing the problem.

We'll see: if it's something that happens every few months, & is this easily solveable, it's not so bad. Particularly since one can still use it while waiting for the battery to empty.

Wonder if regularly letting the battery get to empty ever few months would prevent the phenomenon?

Be interested to hear what others found.

Rivka

Was this answer helpful?

7 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-04-30T14:22:04+00:00

    Hi RivK,

    Yesterday it had trouble waking up once. It woke up after holding the power button until it restarted. Works fine other than that.

    Out of curiosity, do you allow your computers to install updates (e.g. Windows updates, App updates) automatically? Another theory that I had was that if the battery runs dry or if the computer is put to sleep during an update that this might cause a problem. I turned off automatic updates after it started working again last time, though I'm still not sure if this is related.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-04-30T07:44:46+00:00

    Hi: what ever happened w your computer? Mine died again & this time doesn't seem to respond (see details in post to Mike this morning). I'd be interested to hear if you found a solution.

    Thanks

    RivK

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-04-30T06:53:17+00:00

    Hi there.

    After a month or so of being fine, this morning it just didn't wake up. Finally did after several tries of different power button-plus-other combinations, but was sluggish & no little blue power button light. Power was 95% (ie not zero) but refused to charge.

    Tried restarting & it eventually did but didn't wake up from the restart. No blue light, no response to various button combinations, plugged in or not. Will probably wait enough time for the battery to empty in sleep mode (a few days), then plug in, but this is getting to be a pain. Any ideas? Yours still behaving?

    RivK

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-04-22T14:04:10+00:00

    I heard that too. That doesn't work for me. What has been working so far was pressing the windows button and the power button then releasing the power button. I just hope the little blue light turns on. I'm afraid to shut it down.

    Thanks for you suggestions. I will definitely try it. Here's hoping.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments